Low end motherboard nic running at 10mb transfer speeds

nikolaizombie1

Hello LTT Community, 

Recently i have purchased a low end motherboard to build a htpc and it worked great but the transfer speeds of the hard drive are caped at 10 mb/s even though the drive is not at 100% either. I checked if it was the hard drive just being slow but connecting to my other rig and using my ssd to run Windows so it wouldn't interfere.  I got around 100 mb/s transfer speeds. Then i checked the ethernet connection and it was capping at 10mb/s. So what are my options to fix this problem. 

Visually inspect the connector of the network card to make sure those pins don't short each other, that everything in the connector is right.

Go into network card's configuration in Device manager and force it to 100 mbps full duplex

Make sure the network cable is physically good (check the connectors to make sure the pin blades are inserted into the wires.

As for hard drive, if it's an IDE hard drive (the one using those wide cables), go to device manager at ide controllers and make sure the hard drive is not configured in PIO4 mode , make sure it's configured on UDMA modes. Sometimes if there's lots of transfer errors, the hard drive controller puts the hard drive into a slower transfer mode which uses more CPU to transfer data, but it's safer.

Make sure the cable is properly inserted and that it's not damaged.

Same goes for SATA, make sure it's right. With sata cables, you can pull it out and plug it into another connector, just in case there's some oxides on the contacts, by replugging it there should be a better connection.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Visually inspect the connector of the network card to make sure those pins don't short each other, that everything in the connector is right.

Go into network card's configuration in Device manager and force it to 100 mbps full duplex

Make sure the network cable is physically good (check the connectors to make sure the pin blades are inserted into the wires.

Here's the motherboard model just in case 

Asrock Micro ATX DDR3 2400 FM2 Motherboard FM2A58M-VG3+ R2.0

Yet again it is a shity ethernet cable that i found in my drawer so that can also be it, but yet again the network adapter says that it is running at 100%. 

What link speed does the NIC show in Windows' Network Settings > Status of adapter