How to clone 1TB HDD to 400GB HDD.

Hi so i have a Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD as my main boot and storage drive and i currenltly need it for a new system build. i have this spare 400GB seagate barracuda and i was wondering can i clone all the stuff in the 1TB drive over to the 400GB drive and use the 400GB as my new main drive? i only used 220GB of storage in my 1TB HDD so is it possible to move everything over to a smaller drive? thanks guys! 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

I think u can just transfer files via I don't know, sata? For mac, u can just file transfer but I'm not sure about windows. If you only used 220 gb, then you probs can transfer all files there.

just copy paste your files and documents

dont copy any windows or program files

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

just copy paste your files and documents

dont copy any windows or program files

no i need to clone the entire drive including the OS since i need my 1TB drive in another system. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

no i need to clone the entire drive including the OS since i need my 1TB drive in another system. 

why not use the 400gb drive for the new system.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

why not use the 400gb drive for the new system.

i cant since the new system is a server 

i cant since the new system is a server 

fair.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

You can get a free trial of acronis.  I think the free trial can help. 

My RIG:

CPU: Intel core i7 4790k     Motherboard: Msi krait edition z97      RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming Black Edition     Case: Thermaltake core v71   Storage: Samsung 850 pro 256gb OS, WD green 2Tb, WD blue 500GB, WD blue 350gb, Segate barracuda 250gb      PSU: NZXT hale82 v2 700w     Cooling: Noctua nh-d15   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

You can't exactly use a cloning tool to move a bigger drive into a smaller one since sequential disk cloning copies each sector. What you can do however, is install Windows on the 400GB drive, install all the programs you need and move all the files. It'll take a while, but I'm not sure there's a better option.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I personally use parted magic for stuff like this.  Go in there, shrink the partitions down to ~380gb or so (ie: less than the size of the 400gb drive).  Do a dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY bs=1M  command to actually copy the data.  Then run the re-sizer/partition editor to expand the partitions back out to the full 400gb size on the destination hard drive. 

12 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

cloning OSes is a bad idea

install windows on your other drive, move your files and documents over, then format the 1TB drive

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

cloning OSes is a bad idea

Can you elaborate?

I have quite a bit of tweaks that would take forever to redo if I ever moved my Win10 to another drive without a clone OS feature.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Can you elaborate?

I have quite a bit of tweaks that would take forever to redo if I ever moved my Win10 to another drive without a clone OS feature.

stuff breaks

all kinds of stuff

some people cant even get it to boot after cloning

others have problems when trying to isntall windows updates

others have problems running programs, or trying to install/uninstall programs

others have problems accessing files on the drive

and a billion other problems I have seen from people cloning windows

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

stuff breaks

all kinds of stuff

some people cant even get it to boot after cloning

others have problems when trying to isntall windows updates

others have problems running programs, or trying to install/uninstall programs

others have problems accessing files on the drive

and a billion other problems I have seen from people cloning windows

Hm.

I guess I'll just redo the tweaks. I made them once, I can make them again.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Can you elaborate?

i really need to clone the entire drive over to my 400GB drive since i need that 1TB drive to be my main drive in another system. so your saying i cant just clone the 931GB partion over to the 380GB partion even though only 220GB is used up in the 931GB partion? i dont know much about data recovery but i need an easy solution to my problem right now. the last thing i want to do is to reinstall windows and manually move everything over. i kind of need a simpler and more straightfoward solution 

i really need to clone the entire drive over to my 400GB drive since i need that 1TB drive to be my main drive in another system. so your saying i cant just clone the 931GB partion over to the 380GB partion even though only 220GB is used up in the 931GB partion? i dont know much about data recovery but i need an easy solution to my problem right now. the last thing i want to do is to reinstall windows and manually move everything over. i kind of need a simpler and more straightfoward solution 

There might not be such a solution. Not that I'm aware, at least. It's certainly impossible to perform a sequential clone from one drive to another when the destination drive is smaller than the origin drive.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

There might not be such a solution. Not that I'm aware, at least. It's certainly impossible to perform a sequential clone from one drive to another when the destination drive is smaller than the origin drive.

can i shrink the 1tb drives main partion so that it is identical to the 400gb drive? then would it work? 

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

can i shrink the 1tb drives main partion so that it is identical to the 400gb drive? then would it work? 

Yes, but in order to shrink a partition you have to format the rive as far as I'm aware. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

But this is why it's useful to partition large drives, so they can later be cloned to smaller vessels.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

its not a "simpler more straightforward solution" to try to clone a drive, have a bunch of windows issues or BSODs, potentially lose your data, and then have to do a clean install in the end anyway to fix all the stuff you broke

Spoiler

Yes, but in order to shrink a partition you have to format the rive as far as I'm aware. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

But this is why it's useful to partition large drives, so they can later be cloned to smaller vessels.

no i see an option to shrink volume in disk mangement in windows 

no i see an option to shrink volume in disk mangement in windows 

Perhaps it is doable then.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Perhaps it is doable then.

the worst case scenaro is that i just buy another 1TB drive and use that as the main drive in the other system but i really dont want to do that since i already have spare drive lying around and also i dont have funds to buy a drive since im still stuck on find a power supply for that system 

the worst case scenaro is that i just buy another 1TB drive and use that as the main drive in the other system but i really dont want to do that since i already have spare drive lying around and also i dont have funds to buy a drive since im still stuck on find a power supply for that system 

I would say, if you can shrink the volume to below 400GB, then sequentialy clone that into the drive, it should be no problem. Since sequential cloning transfers the information on a bit-by-bit basis, there should be no data loss.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I would say, if you can shrink the volume to below 400GB, then sequentialy clone that into the drive, it should be no problem. Since sequential cloning transfers the information on a bit-by-bit basis, there should be no data loss.

so shrink my main partion on my 1TB so that its either equal to OR smaller then the target drive right? in this case my target drive is a 400GB HDD. 

so shrink my main partion on my 1TB so that its either equal to OR smaller then the target drive right? in this case my target drive is a 400GB HDD. 

Yeah. To be safe shrink it below the usable 380GB number.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler