750W? Is it good?

JGalsky

Hello! I have a single 980ti + a 5930k (non-OC) with a 750W PSU (G1 Super Nova EVGA) and I have some extra cash and I want to buy another 980ti, I put my part into PC Part Picker and the amount of power it draws is over 750, so, I would have to buy another PSU, but then, TechSource comes out with this video.  Dual 980 TIs with a 750W PSU, I'm confused... Also, what are the down sides of SLI? I have three monitors (All the same).  

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, JGalsky said:

Hello! I have a single 980ti + a 5930k (non-OC) with a 750W PSU (G1 Super Nova EVGA) and I have some extra cash and I want to buy another 980ti, I put my part into PC Part Picker and the amount of power it draws is over 750, so, I would have to buy another PSU, but then, TechSource comes out with this video.  Dual 980 TIs with a 750W PSU, I'm confused... Also, what are the down sides of SLI? I have three monitors (All the same).  

Thanks!

Close, but good. He lists the voltage in this video.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The only downside of SLI is that some games don't support it

pcpartpicker generally has accurate data on max TDP, if you put your system specs in there, and the little lightning bolt with a number beside it is the maximum power your system will use

can i just say, you might want to wait a bit before buying another 980 ti now that the new gen graphics cards are coming out. also, it would be safer for you to get a higher wattage psu as you might want to overclock that chip later on.

Cpu: i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz

Gpu: Asus GTX 970 Strix 

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5

Psu: EVGA Supernova 750W G2

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

You should be fine with 750W PSU,  but saying that the EVGA G1 is very average and I would upgrade it to an EVGA G2, GS or GQ, Any PSU from XFX (Excluding the XT) and anything from Seasonic.

Op save your mulah on the 1080! 

My RIG:

CPU: Intel core i7 4790k     Motherboard: Msi krait edition z97      RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming Black Edition     Case: Thermaltake core v71   Storage: Samsung 850 pro 256gb OS, WD green 2Tb, WD blue 500GB, WD blue 350gb, Segate barracuda 250gb      PSU: NZXT hale82 v2 700w     Cooling: Noctua nh-d15   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Drunk_Klaus said:

The only downside of SLI is that some games don't support it

pcpartpicker generally has accurate data on max TDP, if you put your system specs in there, and the little lightning bolt with a number beside it is the maximum power your system will use

The maximum power?

3 minutes ago, JGalsky said:

The maximum power?

under max load like during a stress test, it will generally be less than what is shown

edit: and maximum power as in watts

Edited by Drunk_Klaus

1 minute ago, Drunk_Klaus said:

under max load like during a stress test, it will generally be less than what is shown

I don't plan on using 100% of both, I have capped out my single 980ti but TWO, I know I wont, so my PSU is fine, if I understood correctly.

4 minutes ago, JGalsky said:

I don't plan on using 100% of both, I have capped out my single 980ti but TWO, I know I wont, so my PSU is fine, if I understood correctly.

yes, it should be enough if you are using stock voltages

Hello! I'm planning to buy another 980 TI for my build and the least expensive 980 TI I can find is a OCd version.  I have a 750W PSU so, I don't think it can handle two OC cards, how do I lower the OC to a stock clock? I have MSI after burner, I want to know if it's the same thing to underclock it to stock so it uses less power.

Thanks!

I showed you a video with two overclocked ASUS cards, in your other topic. Watch it and you will see the power draw.

You should be able to run both off a 750 W depending on your CPU and its OC(if any). If not, you can lower the core clock on the cards to underclock to a normal 980 ti or even lower.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

im pretty sure you cannot under volt a card in msi afterburner, you are probably going to have to flash the card.

Cpu: i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz

Gpu: Asus GTX 970 Strix 

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5

Psu: EVGA Supernova 750W G2

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

2 minutes ago, alanz25 said:

im pretty sure you cannot under volt a card in msi afterburner, you are probably going to have to flash the card.

You can using PrecisionX

Question: would you even benefit from a 2nd 980ti? By that, I mean do you even have a 1440p 144hz / Ultrawide or a 4k monitor? Because if you don't, then you should upgrade your display first before thinking of SLI.

Still, I wouldn't do it. If I was you, I'd just buy a Gtx 1070 and sell your 980ti; SLI the 1070 afterwards. This should yeld a bit better performance, and at a lower wattage too! + The extra features the 1070 has are pretty nice.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 hour ago, Imakuni said:

Question: would you even benefit from a 2nd 980ti? By that, I mean do you even have a 1440p 144hz / Ultrawide or a 4k monitor? Because if you don't, then you should upgrade your display first before thinking of SLI.

Still, I wouldn't do it. If I was you, I'd just buy a Gtx 1070 and sell your 980ti; SLI the 1070 afterwards. This should yeld a bit better performance, and at a lower wattage too! + The extra features the 1070 has are pretty nice.

I use three 1080p monitors, I'm really not interested in the new 1080..... yet...

2 minutes ago, JGalsky said:

I use three 1080p monitors, I'm really not interested in the new 1080..... yet...

Here's how I see it. The 1070 costs at least 370us, most likely over 400 for a good card. For 400us you can get a banging 980ti used that will beat the 1070 in some games, and in SLI with the one you already have and beat a 1080.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Here's how I see it. The 1070 costs at least 370us, most likely over 400 for a good card. For 400us you can get a banging 980ti used that will beat the 1070 in some games, and in SLI with the one you already have and beat a 1080.

That's a good idea, but, I;ve had so many bad experiences with used things I decided never to do it again... But, I do acknowledge that idea.