Asus zenbook 3

Paragon_X

Asus announced their new Zenbook, a slick notebook competitor to the new macbook. I have to say I like it a lot although i find baffling the fact that they offer 4gbs or ram on the low end model.

Asus ZenBook 3

• Screen12.5” Full HD (1920 x 1080) withGorilla Glass 4
  • CPU Intel Core i5/i7 (Skylake)
  • Backlit LED Keyboard
  • Glass Trackpad with finger print
  • Memory RAM 4GB/16GB 2133MHz
  • 256GB/512GB/1TB PCIe 3.0 SSD
  • 4x Harman Kardon speakers
  • OS Windows 10
  • Batter 40Wh (9 hours)
  • USB Type-C (charging up to 60% in 49 minutes)
  • Width 3.5-11.9mm
  • Weight 910gr

It will come in 3 variations.
1999 USD for the i7 16gb 1Tb SSD
1499 USD for the i7 16gb 512 SSD
999 USD for the i5 4gb 256 SSD

Video: 

asus_zenbook_3_3.jpg?resize=321%2C186asus_zenbook_3_2.jpg?resize=261%2C186asus_zenbook_3_1.jpg?resize=211%2C124

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

Did I miss something or does that thing only have a single USB type C connector.... And nothing else? 

Fuck off Asus. It doesn't matter that you throw in a dongle with the laptop. The ports should be on the laptop itself. 

wow those extra 4gb are like 15$ this is ridiculous!

i guess you cant upgrade the ram aswell. good job asus... 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Did I miss something or does that thing only have a single USB type C connector.... And nothing else? 

Fuck off Asus. It doesn't matter that you throw in a dongle with the laptop. The ports should be on the laptop itself. 

Seems like it, yeah. I mean there's a 3.5 mm headphone jack but unless there are ports on the back, I can't see anything else.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Thin is nice

But not to the point where it impairs functionality and runs on vapors. 

Ffs companies need to stop copying Apple. 

Agreed. HP managed to make a similar laptop but put 3 USB-C ports and a headphone jack on it, so it's not like it's impossible.

I'm referring to the recently released HP Spectre.

Note: they're all on the back though, so I guess that's not everyone's cup of tea.

6 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Agreed. HP managed to make a similar laptop but put 3 USB-C ports and a headphone jack on it, so it's not like it's impossible.

Note: they're all on the back though, so I guess that's not everyone's cup of tea.

They had to put them on the back though, which is...less than optimal

15 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

They already have a superthin notebook with more than just one port. It's not like they didn't know how to do it. 

one port

non user upgradeable ram

non user upgradeable storage

no fucks given

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

one port

non user upgradeable ram

non user upgradeable storage

no fucks given

more like all the fucks about thinness, all of that compromises were done for that, i'm not that that bothered by the lack of upgradable internals since everyone and their mother has gone that way and these kinds of laptops are just glorified web access machines as well as basic photoshop which that hardware can do fine (expect the 4gb one, that one shouldn't exist or put 8gb on it), but they can f off with the single port, and its not like they could move the headphone jack a bit to right to fit another port.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

If it uses the same DC jack as the first two then it's worthless.

I don't think anyone who unplugs the power adapter, then plugs it back in, who feels how flimsy and cheap this is, would ever spend more than $200 on it.

It's such a waste of potential. Apple and Lenovo have proven that broken DC jacks do not need to be a guarantee within the 1st year of owning a product..

4 hours ago, ChrisCross said:

wow those extra 4gb are like 15$ this is ridiculous!

i guess you cant upgrade the ram aswell. good job asus... 

That's because for so many people 4GB is enough

42 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

its still stupid. just such an annoying thing that costs nothing and changes performance dramatically.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

12 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

its still stupid. just such an annoying thing that costs nothing and changes performance dramatically.

Well 15€ more of margin on big volumes makes a ton of money at the end.

But as stated above, this aren't supposed to be mega beast either. Most users will be Web browsing or taking notes in class with it 

Just now, laminutederire said:

Well 15€ more of margin on big volumes makes a ton of money at the end.

But as stated above, this aren't supposed to be mega beast either. Most users will be Web browsing or taking notes in class with it 

yeah but its a selling point too. and if your opening more than 5 tabs and want to edit a document at the same time and maybe some windows update is going on (you cant control those anymore) 4gb is critical.

4GB for $999? Yea, really, screw off with that ASUS. Even Apple has modernized their MacBook Air series to include 8GB at the minimum.

I was cool with the the higher price tag - to an extent. I was OK with the single port - to an extent. But 4GB? At $999? What kind of sick joke are you pulling, ASUS?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Seriously, why buy this thing? Even at the same price point there are far better laptops (Macbook Air being one ironically). Just make a version of the UX303 that doesn't break its damned hinge and with next gen Polaris/Pascal, and we're good.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Seriously, why buy this thing? Even at the same price point there are far better laptops (Macbook Air being one ironically). Just make a version of the UX303 that doesn't break its damned hinge and with next gen Polaris/Pascal, and we're good.

Why? Well, it's the same reason people buy MacBooks and simply do simple Microsoft word and web browsing/streaming ?

29 minutes ago, LegendKillerRG said:

Why? Well, it's the same reason people buy MacBooks and simply do simple Microsoft word and web browsing/streaming ?

And that's fine. A MacBook would be fine for that. Hell, the Air is still a great ultrabook. But the moment you need a SD card, you're boned.

18 hours ago, laminutederire said:

it really isn't anymore and it shouldn't be just acceptable because they've done it, 8GB is going to be the new minimum.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

6 minutes ago, alexyy said:

it really isn't anymore and it shouldn't be just acceptable because they've done it, 8GB is going to be the new minimum.

Are you even aware of what most people do with their machine?

A tablet is enough for them, and that kind of laptop is in competition with tablets.

23 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You're right. Why would anyone copy Apple's retarded design? It's so impractical. You cannot even add a mouse! You have to connect that stupidly large clunky hub to the laptop. That takes up a LOT of space and weight in a bag. Just to add a single mouse.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

29 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Are you even aware of what most people do with their machine?

A tablet is enough for them, and that kind of laptop is in competition with tablets.

are you? because I doubt it especially when the less technological minded users are free to use a full windows environment they tend to have multiple tabs open and always manage to have a great many startup programs plague their system which a tablet environment won't allow and would limit it's multitasking where as the windows machine would and would create many issues. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

2 hours ago, alexyy said:

are you? because I doubt it especially when the less technological minded users are free to use a full windows environment they tend to have multiple tabs open and always manage to have a great many startup programs plague their system which a tablet environment won't allow and would limit it's multitasking where as the windows machine would and would create many issues. 

Nevermind, there is no discussing anything here without having people discarding whatever the fuck you can say. So yeah you're right if you want 

need more ports? grab this ugly box with 1000 cables coming out of it. I thought the whole points of it was a premium feel and that kind of ruined the whole video.

Looks like I'm the only one who likes the look of it. As it wouldn't be my only PC I don't really care how many ports it's got. What I do care about is a light, fast and compact laptop I can use on the go. So unless the reviews are awful I will be chalking it up as a XPS 13/15 (without gpu) competitor.