Noise level

Gregrs

So me and my friend were at microcenter putting together his computer, and he was going to get a GTX 950.

The person that was helping us said that if we went with the one fan version, it was going to be loud, and that's why we should go with the 2 fan version (because my friend hates noise) for like $15 more.

Is this even true?

Yes...

Obviously 1 fan doing the work of 2 fans is going to have to work harder, spin faster, and be louder.

Also, I don't even think there are aftermarket coolers with 1 fan, so you guys were looking at a reference cooler?

Stay away from reference coolers, they're all garbage.

It may sound counter intuitive that 1 fan would be louder than 2, but that 1 fan has to work much harder, and that higher speed will more than compensate for the fact you have fewer noise sources

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

two fans at low RPM are quieter than one fan at high RPM

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020