My first laptop case mod (my first mod)

GreezyJeezy

To start this is not pretty as it did not fit how I thought it would, but it still works.

I started off with a dell inspiron, core 2 duo, 4gb of ram

Photo0168.jpg

then I preceded to take it apart, (this took me a few hours trying not to break it and finding out how to remove certain ribbon cables)

Photo0169.jpg

Photo0170.jpg

Photo0171.jpg

Photo0172.jpg

Photo0174.jpg

then I took the screen off (I had to keep it connected and that was a bitch when trying to put it in its new case)

Photo0179.jpg

Photo0181.jpg

this is just a box of stuff I thought id need to keep

Photo0178.jpg

and now for the thing i wanted to use as the case, a NASCAR gas can!

Photo0182.jpg

my first idea was to cut the bottom and put it in that way (I thought this becase the bottom was cut alredy, this used to be my piggy bank and to get the bills out I had to cut a small hole in the bottom so it had a small hole alredy)

so I made the hole bigger by using a utility knife (I wish i owned a dremel)

Photo0183.jpg

it was still too small to fit the motherboard in so i looked around my garage and found a thing they use to cut sheet rock

Photo0184.jpg

in the end the bottom was still too small (giggity), so I cut a square out of the side. having the bottom open does help airflow too so thats fine i cut it.Photo0185.jpg

I tired to put the motherboard in to see how I could mount it, and well I couldn't, so I thought what can I just sit it on to hold it up, and I thought a fan would be perfect.

Photo0186.jpg

Photo0187.jpg

so at this point it about 4 hours have gone by, and I can finally put the motherboard in (I have to cut the can a few times to get it in there a way it wouldn't stick out to far and so the hard drive wouldn't move.

Screenshot_9.png

Photo0189.jpg

at this point it was around 8PM (I stared at 3 PM took a few breaks)

the heatsink sticks out so the motherboard could fit in good. but this also helps with the heat (its about 15c cooler at idle then in the laptop case)

Photo0190.jpg

Annnndddd for the moment of truth, IT BOOTS, I was scared I messed it up at some point with me dropping the motherboard like 3 times.

Photo0195.jpg

This was pretty fun to do, even tho it didnt turn out how I wanted I still like it and it works good. the cords come in through the top where the gas would come out from and I hot glued the WLAN antenna up there too. and I dont have a keyboard/mouse hooked up becase im using share mouse so I can use my main pc's keyboard/mouse to control it.

im not sure what to do with the screen because the cord is short that connects it to the motherboard, so I cant move it much. I was thinking of mounting it on the gas can somehow so then its truly still a laptop as you could take it around with you, you just need to bring a keyboard and mouse.

what do you guys think about it?

You know you could have googled "How to put my laptop parts inside a gas tank", right?

Na man, respect. Mod looks pretty good. Makes me want to get through with the mods my case is missing. My case is pretty bad out of the box but has the potential to be the most compact SLI setup out there, with dimensions rivaling the Core 1000.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Don't take my opinion too seriously, but if you were going to do this, why not make it look good?  I just don't see how this is an improvement.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

1 minute ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

Don't take my opinion too seriously, but if you were going to do this, why not make it look good?  I just don't see how this is an improvement.

to look cool, and it takes ups less room on my desk, more for the fun of doing it, and the temps are wayyy better, it idles at 46c it used to idle at 50-60c. you should just not do things in life because it wont look good. 

And I'm not done with the mod. I'll have to figure out a power button, a way to get the monitor to a good side, and them I'll fix up that giant hole, it's plastic so I can just melt it back together and it will look nicer, but I can't until I get the power button figured out

On 5/29/2016 at 11:58 PM, GreezyJeezy said:

to look cool, and it takes ups less room on my desk, more for the fun of doing it, and the temps are wayyy better, it idles at 46c it used to idle at 50-60c. you should just not do things in life because it wont look good. 

To each their own I guess.  I'd just rather not have a shitty looking PC just for better temps.

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

To each their own I guess.  I'd just rather not have a shitty looking PC just for better temps.

You can say anything looks shitty, all personal preference. I think that creeper PC build looked bad but Luke seemed to like it.

6 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

And it's for the fun of doing it and the experience, I've never taken a laptop apart before, you just care about looks well, there is more to life then that.

6 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

And it's for the fun of doing it and the experience, I've never taken a laptop apart before, you just care about looks well, there is more to life then that.

Dude, stop getting all defensive.  I know there's more to life than looks.  It's fine, do what you want.  I just don't agree with it okay? Can you live with my comment?

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

Dude, stop getting all defensive.  I know there's more to life than looks.  It's fine, do what you want.  I just don't agree with it okay? Can you live with my comment?

I'm just saying you think looks matter the most.

1 hour ago, GreezyJeezy said:

I'm just saying you think looks matter the most.

Not necessarily no.  I'll take performance over looks any day.  I was just making the point that I don't see the point in your project.  That's all.

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

Not necessarily no.  I'll take performance over looks any day.  I was just making the point that I don't see the point in your project.  That's all.

if yu dont see the point it was becase i was board. even if it looks dumb it has frozen zero times and it used to a lot, it takes up less space becase its vertically taking up space not horizontal leaving more room for my keyboard on my desk, and really the look yes its not pretty and its easily fixable to make it look nicer and ill do that when i get more time 

I... I'm sorry if I don't see this as a mod... at all...

More like you just gutted a PC and mounted it inside a gas can with a fan inside... that's not a mod. Sorry. :/

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

5 hours ago, Imglidinhere said:

I... I'm sorry if I don't see this as a mod... at all...

More like you just gutted a PC and mounted it inside a gas can with a fan inside... that's not a mod. Sorry. :/

case mod fam

its like saying this is just a creeper with a gutted pc in it, thats all a case mod is, either making your case look cool, or using something else as a case.  

and this is just putting computer parts into a night stand.

see my point?

6 hours ago, GreezyJeezy said:

case mod fam

its like saying this is just a creeper with a gutted pc in it, thats all a case mod is, either making your case look cool, or using something else as a case.  

and this is just putting computer parts into a night stand.

see my point?

I know what a case mod is, go over to Overclock.net and you'll see some serious case mods. This is taking a laptop motherboard out of a case and putting it inside a gas can and calling it a "work in progress". That's not how you case mod. Sorry, but I really don't see at ALL how this could ever been seen as a case mod without being an insult to the rest of the modding community. o_o

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

Jesus Christ, what's with everybody trying to put the guy down on this? Did you all have your coffee pissed in this morning? Everybody starts somewhere, and this dude starts with a gas can.

It's a nice mod, OP. Makes me wish I didn't trash my old HP Pavilion because now I want to build something into my night stand, lol.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Well, I think people would be more pleased if it would be properly made. I mean mobo doesn't fit, fan with tape and so on.

Mod is cool on it's own, worse with realisation of this idea...

My rate: 5/10, not bad but next time put a little more heart in it ^_^

3 hours ago, Suika said:

Everybody starts somewhere

Yes, but you can still use all your skills, take some time and make your first work look good, right?

5 hours ago, NaLu said:

Well, I think people would be more pleased if it would be properly made. I mean mobo doesn't fit, fan with tape and so on.

not tape man

9 hours ago, Imglidinhere said:

I know what a case mod is, go over to Overclock.net and you'll see some serious case mods. This is taking a laptop motherboard out of a case and putting it inside a gas can and calling it a "work in progress". That's not how you case mod. Sorry, but I really don't see at ALL how this could ever been seen as a case mod without being an insult to the rest of the modding community. o_o

mod, short for modify, and i modified the laptop/can. just becase it doesn't look how you see others does not means its not classified as a case mod.

and there is people who just put their computer parts into an old imac and call that a case mod.

and on that website there is a post of a guy who just cut a hole in the bottom of his laptop right were the fan is to act as a bigger vent. yup thats a great mod (but still a mod)

• 4 weeks later...

I dig it, it's creative and fun. Besides, 15c off your temps is not bad at all. Perhaps you could get more if you modded the heat sink? Perhaps add more on that heat pipe? You could use Arctic alumina thermal adhesive to glue it in place, then with another fan above the board to help airflow. 

For the power switch, I've always been a fan of vandall switches, you could put one in your desk then you just have to connect it to the same leads that the original power button was connected to. I hope you have a soldering iron. 

Side note, to all you ass hats, this is certainly a mod. It's a scratch build, he took something that wasn't a computer and made a computer so fuck off and enjoy this quirky project. 

ASU

• 3 weeks later...

Bro I don't know why everybody is trying to bully you over something you just wanted to do in your spare time. live the dream, make it the way YOU want it. Tbh the only problem I see with this is that toaster you took the pictures with.