intermittent lockup in games,media playback

Chris_nz

Hi Everyone

been awhile since I have posted.

this problem is starting to bother me now, it has started since I built the pc. all it does is is freeze/lag/lock whatever you call it and random stages,

I have read similar posts which are sort of on the same lines, but I don't think it was described correctly.

happens only in media playback or gaming during quick changes on screen in either media or games.

thought it was a graphics issue, bought a new gfx card, still same issue,

thought VRAM was capping out, previous card was a 4gb card, new card only 3gb but only drawing 15-1600mb

thought intergrated graphics was interfering with it, disabled, still same issue,

was worse with a sound card, removed it, was better, but still same issue,

defaulted and updated bios, still same issue,

thought was power supply not providing enough power, checked it only drawing 200w. psu is rated for 750w

thought antivirus was affecting it (off chance) still same issue

MEMTest ok

Prime95 ok

no background programs,nothing installed other then games, its starting to annoy me during PVP in Black desert online now.

thought my green WD drive would interfere, but I doubt it as most of my media is streamed.

(EDIT: PC doesn't crash only the game crashes sometimes, it unfreezes after a second or two)

PC specs:

intel 4670k (not overclocked due to heat output)

asus z87 gryphon m atx mobo

asus gtx960 2gb (other card was sapphire r9 270x 4gb)

8gb corsair dominators

750w corsair psu

128gb adata ssd sp900

2tb WD green

I have trolled through forums trying to find a solution but none,

would appreciate any tips and advice

regards

whats causing the lockups?

CPU?

disk?

ram?

have task manager or resource monitor open and see what is getting pinned at 100% during one of those lockups

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

45 minutes ago, Enderman said:

whats causing the lockups?

CPU?

disk?

ram?

have task manager or resource monitor open and see what is getting pinned at 100% during one of those lockups

Unsure of whats causing the lockups,

ive had monitors open through task manager, afterburner, and none are pinned at 100%.

I'm hoping someone has experienced this problem before and have found a solution other then building a new pc

regards

2 minutes ago, Chris_nz said:

Unsure of whats causing the lockups,

ive had monitors open through task manager, afterburner, and none are pinned at 100%.

I'm hoping someone has experienced this problem before and have found a solution other then building a new pc

regards

all the times i have seen people have this problem either disk usage or CPU was going to 100% and causing the lag

so yeah i have no idea whats wrong with your PC :/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

all the times i have seen people have this problem either disk usage or CPU was going to 100% and causing the lag

so yeah i have no idea whats wrong with your PC :/

ok,

thanks for the reply, I will double check, just to see if I am missing something.

been watching it for the past 5 hours or so,

CPU is anywhere between 60-80% while playing the game,

GPU memory maxes out, but is expected.

HDD/SSD minimal % use

I'm wondering it is a cpu issue, as my other PC ( intel 2500k) has no issues what so ever, and is basically the same setup