System powers on for about 10 seconds, turns off, and cycles.

pureGold
Go to solution Solved by pureGold,

What the f***. I have to hold the power supply wire into the PSU for it to stay on. I think it is a faulty wire.

Parts:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA H170 Gaming 3

CPU: i5-6500

RAM: Corsair Ballistix 2x4 GB

SSD: Sandisk Plus 120 GB

HDD: WD Black 1 TB

PSU: EVGA 600 B 

I am currently using the stock heatsink that came with the CPU. The case fans and the heatsink are spinning just fine. However, my system will turn on for about 10 seconds and turn off. It will then cycle through this. There is no post on the screen. I am using a D-Sub link because that is all my monitor supports which my old computer can use just fine. I am at a lost on what to do next. I cleared the CMOS, shorted on the power switch to turn on manually and nothing happens. I reseated the CPU, RAM, heatsink. I tried one stick of ram and still no post. I am suspecting it's a power supply issue.

11 minutes ago, pureGold said:

Parts:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA H170 Gaming 3

CPU: i5-6500

RAM: Corsair Ballistix 2x4 GB

SSD: Sandisk Plus 120 GB

HDD: WD Black 1 TB

PSU: EVGA 600 B 

I am currently using the stock heatsink that came with the CPU. The case fans and the heatsink are spinning just fine. However, my system will turn on for about 10 seconds and turn off. It will then cycle through this. There is no post on the screen. I am using a D-Sub link because that is all my monitor supports which my old computer can use just fine. I am at a lost on what to do next. I cleared the CMOS, shorted on the power switch to turn on manually and nothing happens. I reseated the CPU, RAM, heatsink. I tried one stick of ram and still no post. I am suspecting it's a power supply issue.

PSU, motherboard or CPU... my best guesses.  The fact that it won't move to the next stage in the post bothers me.  Do you have anyway of eliminating factors?

1.  Remove the 1TB HDD.

2.  Try each stick of RAM separately.  Try the other stick.

3.  Can you get your hands on another PSU for testing?

9 minutes ago, stconquest said:

PSU, motherboard or CPU... my best guesses.  The fact that it won't move to the next stage in the post bothers me.  Do you have anyway of eliminating factors?

1.  Remove the 1TB HDD.

2.  Try each stick of RAM separately.  Try the other stick.

I already tried one stick at a time, in each of the slots. I'll try removing the HDD.

Edit: No difference when I unplug the HDD or SSD

2 minutes ago, pureGold said:

I already tried one stick at a time, in each of the slots. I'll try removing the HDD.

Okay.  I know the 1TB HDD should not make a difference, but it is one less thing in the box.

@pureGold  You can even remove the SSD.  I don't believe it is needed to post to BIOS.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What the f***. I have to hold the power supply wire into the PSU for it to stay on. I think it is a faulty wire.

i remember hooking a new computer to an old monitor once. killed the monitor.

i think i read somewhere there will be no more d-sub any more.

hook the monitor to the motherboard for now.

50 minutes ago, pureGold said:

RMA that shitty PSU.  Nevermind that... get a refund...

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-xfxts550w

Both these are Seasonic built.

This one is made by Superflower, $80 with a $30 MIR:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr 

The 600B is made by FSP.

Thank you guys for the all the help! Sorry for this late reply but I was busy with cable management and installing the OS. The system is working perfectly fine  now (hopefully this PSU does not cause anymore problems). 

3 minutes ago, pureGold said:

Thank you guys for the all the help! Sorry for this late reply but I was busy with cable management and installing the OS. The system is working perfectly fine  now (hopefully this PSU does not cause anymore problems). 

......... glad you found the issue.