"VLC adds support for 4K video playback with latest update, mobile apps refreshed as well"

TopWargamer

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/26/4773282/vlc-adds-support-for-4k-video-playback-with-latest-update

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/26/vlc-update-2-1-4K-ready/

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Version 2.1 includes improved audio processing, including proper and complete support for surround sound output. But most notably, this is the first version of VLC to offer 4K playback, though it's still in its preliminary stages.

. . .

VideoLAN has also updated its Android and iOS ports of VLC, with the former now offering support for far more devices than in the past. There are also new "partial ports" of VLC for Windows Phone 8, Windows RT, and the "Metro" interface in Windows 8 and 8.1. Among a list of improvements, video playback itself should be tightened up on mobile devices.

Awesome! Sure for now we won't really be able to take advantage of its 4K capabilities, but in the near future I'm sure that we will be able to. It's also nice that they updated their mobile versions and updated audio processing and whatnot. 

COMIC SANS

Was about to do it, but I was like nah give the people with the badge something to post 

just going to leave this here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/26/vlc-update-2-1-4K-ready/

vlcupdate.jpg

It's been a while since ever popular VLC has seen a major update, and today's debut of version 2.1 -- also known as "Rincewind" -- packs a handful of features that are sure to please. Most notably, VLC for both Windows and OS X is now 4K-compatible, but VideoLAN didn't stop there. Also included in the upgrade are improved support for a variety of file types including MKV, AVI and MP4, as well as a beefed up audio core designed to boost performance and fidelity. OS X users will notice adjustments to the player's UI, including a customizable playback menu and the ability to play video as a desktop background. For those of you interested in porting to Android, iOS or Windows mobile devices, there are also a few tweaks to make the process as pain-free as possible. 

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

VLC 2.0? I just downloaded 1.7.X today =( also i want a 4K iMac

Lol I want a 4k red imac

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I'll go ahead and add that source to my post. 

Lol you don't have too

Can we get native blu ray support yet?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Wow ^^

VLC is 2.X since about a year or even more, today it's "Twoflower" 2.0.8

VLC didnt support 4K until now? Thats kind of surprising since most decoder have supported it for sometime, even the ones they use (I believe)

Can we get native blu ray support yet?

Get MPC-HC and LAV and you get that instantly...

Now I just need a monitor that is 4K and isn't the price of a new sports car.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Now I just need a monitor that is 4K and isn't the price of a new sports car.

sports cars are $3500?

sports cars are $3500?

I was being facetious :P  Basically saying 4K monitors are ridiculously expensive for the average person.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Ugh, I got excited hoping the mobile app refresh would add my Nexus 7 to the compatible device list. So much for that.

what does it mean 'can now support 4K' I'm sure I have played 4K videos using VLC before perhaps it means support for HEVC??

I've un-installed my old 32 bit version for the 64 bit version.

This is nice that VLC is already working on 4K support even though its not very popular and there isn't much content thats 4k yet. For mobile devices (Android), I like using MX Player because its great imo and supports many formats.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

what does it mean 'can now support 4K' I'm sure I have played 4K videos using VLC before perhaps it means support for HEVC??

I've un-installed my old 32 bit version for the 64 bit version.

idk possibly but HEVC/H.265 is kinda a mess.

64bit should be fine for most people even if your using MPC-HC and LAV Filters

Oh for the love of God change to something else. VLC 1.X is absolutely horrible.

64bit should be fine for most people even if your using MPC-HC and LAV Filters

No, don't use the 64bit version of MPC-HC. It is buggier and does not support madVR or xySubFilter. Don't even think it offers any performance benefits.

Ugh, I got excited hoping the mobile app refresh would add my Nexus 7 to the compatible device list. So much for that.

Just use MX Player instead. It's the best video player on Android I've so far found.

So about VLC supporting 4K in the next release. Maybe I am missing something, but I took this screenshot just now, on VLC 2.0.1. It is playing a 4K video.

post-216-0-94992400-1380361508_thumb.png

here is a nice funny VLC Player shortcut icon:

http://parallaxmlp.deviantart.com/art/My-Little-VLC-306123193

my_little_vlc_by_parallaxmlp-d529a61.png

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Oh for the love of God change to something else. VLC 1.X is absolutely horrible.

No, don't use the 64bit version of MPC-HC. It is buggier and does not support madVR or xySubFilter. Don't even think it offers any performance benefits.

Just use MX Player instead. It's the best video player on Android I've so far found.

So about VLC supporting 4K in the next release. Maybe I am missing something, but I took this screenshot just now, on VLC 2.0.1. It is playing a 4K video.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

As i said for most people x64 is fine and its been no more or less buggy for me and I run bot on different systems. The ones that cant support madVR get x64. Also there are people even ones that are into video quality that dont necessarily like how madVR acts when compared to EVR even when no in exclusive mode. I have hands on experience dealing with friends trying to get madVR to behave a certain way that they were used to EVR doing. Also I have run into situations where xySubFilter will not work but xyVSFilter works fine, just as a heads up.

64 bit application if done right get all the benefits that 64bit brings

As i said for most people x64 is fine and its been no more or less buggy for me and I run bot on different systems. The ones that cant support madVR get x64. Also there are people even ones that are into video quality that dont necessarily like how madVR acts when compared to EVR even when no in exclusive mode. I have hands on experience dealing with friends trying to get madVR to behave a certain way that they were used to EVR doing. Also I have run into situations where xySubFilter will not work but xyVSFilter works fine, just as a heads up.

64 bit application if done right get all the benefits that 64bit brings

What benefit does the 64bit version of MPC-HC have over the 32bit version? As far as I know, there are only drawbacks. Also, if you really care about playback quality then there isn't really any alternative to madVR. EVR doesn't offer the same quality, nor does it offer the same customization. Not sure what you mean by "trying to get madVR to behave a certain way", in what way did they want madVR to behave?

In what situations does xy-VSFilter work but xySubFilter doesn't? I haven't had any issues with it so far and a lot of the things I watch uses very advanced subs, as well as very simple ones. It should work just fine if you use madVR for rendering. You have to use both a compatible decoder as well as a compatible renderer for it to work. So don't use CoreAVC, don't use EVR, don't use any GPU driver based post-processing on the video or anything like that.

You can troubleshoot your config here: Troubleshooting Q&A". If your video player is set up properly, then there isn't really any reason not to use xy-SubFilter.

What benefit does the 64bit version of MPC-HC have over the 32bit version? As far as I know, there are only drawbacks. Also, if you really care about playback quality then there isn't really any alternative to madVR. EVR doesn't offer the same quality, nor does it offer the same customization. Not sure what you mean by "trying to get madVR to behave a certain way", in what way did they want madVR to behave?

In what situations does xy-VSFilter work but xySubFilter doesn't? I haven't had any issues with it so far and a lot of the things I watch uses very advanced subs, as well as very simple ones. It should work just fine if you use madVR for rendering. You have to use both a compatible decoder as well as a compatible renderer for it to work. So don't use CoreAVC, don't use EVR, don't use any GPU driver based post-processing on the video or anything like that.

You can troubleshoot your config here: Troubleshooting Q&A". If your video player is set up properly, then there isn't really any reason not to use xy-SubFilter.

Yes I know madVR is the best and is why I also personally use it when ever I can. I have done so since it quite early stages. Well there are basically all of the things that come with it being Direct3D based so it acts pretty similarly to a game in may respects. It basically comes down to watching anime plus doing something else on the same PC at the same time. There are also some little quirks like if your marathoning a series you have to make a play list other wise it will exit full screen and just stop at the end of a file.

I have had 2 PCs one mine and one a friends where xySubFilter just wont work and show subs but xyVSFilter would. Its not even in the filter chain so its like it was never loaded, weird right? With my systems I config them all fairly similarly so that was quite odd. Its not unexpected really as its beta. Prior to Media Player Classic - Home Cinema being called MPC-HC there were times where things just didnt work sometimes for any reason that you could track down and the only way that I could find to fix it at times was to do a complete reinstall of windows. Now this wasnt too bad usually because I install MPC-HC and my decoders shortly after the drivers but that didnt mean it wasnt annoying. 

Umm I know how to set all of this up and more. I have been at it for idk ~5 years now and have been though all of the transitions. From either bad bundles or you installing everything yourself to get bundles but you still having to rely on some legacy bits to where we are now. I even believe that we have talked about this in another thread a while back.