Be careful with ebay GPU purchases

So I recently bought an R9 390 (currently in a dispute with it). The ad said R9 390 2 months old. Look at the first photo, honest mistake, that is an R9 390X in the photo. Maybe it's an R9 390X. Ordered it for $365 (generally what you would pay for a second hand R9 390X). It came this morning and I looked at the box "R9 390". Hold up...it had the photo as an R9 390X. BE CAUTIOUS WHEN BUYING ON EBAY. I have filed a dispute and am hoping to get my money back, but this is just a warning to others who are buying on ebay. I only would've offered him $300 for an R9 390 NOT $365 because a new R9 390 is around $500

wtf?

so you bought a GPU from an ad that specifically said "r9 390" and happened to have a picture of a 390x, and you didnt even ask to confirm???

who taught you how to shop??

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A new R9 390 is around 500 US Dollars? nah man.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pleeper said:

A new R9 390 is around 500 US Dollars? nah man.

AUD...

1 minute ago, jkeasley said:

AUD...

K that makes sense

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

wtf?

so you bought a GPU from an ad that specifically said "r9 390" and happened to have a picture of a 390x, and you didnt even ask to confirm???

Yep. I thought it was a simple mistake that they didn't know much about GPUs. The ad was misleading and it's absolutely unacceptable

1 minute ago, Dr_Pleeper said:

K that makes sense

yeah...shitty currency

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

wtf?

The main point was that it was misleading photos and is absolutely unacceptable

2 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Yep. I thought it was a simple mistake that they didn't know much about GPUs. The ad was misleading and it's absolutely unacceptable

and you bought it anyway???

what kind of logic is that?

"oh theres 50 50 chance this is a 390 or a 390x, im going to spend my money without even asking first"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

I remember a hilarious Judge Judy episode where a woman bought a phone from some person on Ebay, and received a PICTURE of said phone instead of an actual phone.

Needless to say, Judge Judy ripped the seller a new one

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

7 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

No, it's not. In that situation, an educated shopper/ebay buyer would ask the seller whether it's a 390 or 390x. Either way, the listing said 390, so go with that. Just because the photo happened to be of a 390x doesn't mean that the product is a 390x, which is why you ask. As far as I'm concerned, while the photo was wrong, so are you.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

8 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

6 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

You've pretty much just ruined your own argument. Like you said, it probably is some kid that doesn't know anything about GPUs beyond the number on the box, Googled "R9 390" for an image to use and downloaded the first one that popped up. I'm not saying you shouldn't pursue a refund, but I am saying it's kind of weaksauce for you to be on here complaining when you're the one who spent a ton of money on a graphics card without bothering to ask what you were buying first.

I don't suppose you were looking at the auction item listing and those pictures and wondering if you could steal a 390X from a noob for the price of a used 390, hm?

3 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

I remember a hilarious Judge Judy episode where a woman bought a phone from some person on Ebay, and received a PICTURE of said phone instead of an actual phone.

Needless to say, Judge Judy ripped the seller a new one

That's still actually a thing. I think eBay updated their T&C's to put a stop to it, though.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I don't suppose you were looking at the auction item listing and those pictures and wondering if you could steal a 390X from a noob for the price of a used 390, hm?

Yep, pretty much. For an R9 390, that is WAAAAAAAYYYY overpriced. An R9 390 should not be sold, secondhand, for $390. That is a rip off. An R9 390 is $500 Brand new

Half of that is $250. I would've paid $300, but $365...nope...definitely not

34 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

So I recently bought an R9 390 (currently in a dispute with it). The ad said R9 390 2 months old. Look at the first photo, honest mistake, that is an R9 390X in the photo. Maybe it's an R9 390X.

Well I looked into it.

I wasn't sure if Ebay cared about the picture but looks like they do:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/picture.html

So based on that, you'll probably get at least a partial refund.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

7 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Well I looked into it.

I wasn't sure if Ebay cared about the picture but looks like they do:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/picture.html

So based on that, you'll probably get at least a partial refund.

I don't really care if it's only $65, I don't want to pay $365 for a secondhand R9 390.

48 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

I don't really care if it's only $65, I don't want to pay $365 for a secondhand R9 390.

I'm guessing ebay will either 1) have you and the seller agree on an amount to refund, or 2) just return the card and get a full refund. Not sure though, never dealt with a situations like this myself.

20 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

I'm guessing ebay will either 1) have you and the seller agree on an amount to refund, or 2) just return the card and get a full refund. Not sure though, never dealt with a situations like this myself.

My father had a pretty damn successful business selling on eBay. He was ultimately forced out by scammers and people like this who don't bother to read what they're buying before they buy it, then whine, moan and open a dispute when they realize that the R9 390 they agreed to purchase is actually an R9 390.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

people like this who don't bother to read what they're buying before they buy it, then whine, moan and open a dispute when they realize that the R9 390 they agreed to purchase is actually an R9 390

Obviously jkeasley was hoping that the seller didn't notice he had a 390x, which was a gamble and really not a good idea

But posting an inaccurate picture is against Ebay's policy so the seller can be suspended for that

I would just chalk it up to shit happens.

$65 can be a lot to some..

But you have a GPU now.

Call it a day and save more headaches waiting.

But thats just my take on the situation.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Agree with what most others are saying.  Asking questions on ebay can not only confirm you are buying the right product but help determine if that seller can communicate and is trustworthy.

34 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Obviously jkeasley was hoping that the seller didn't notice he had a 390x, which was a gamble and really not a good idea

But posting an inaccurate picture is against Ebay's policy so the seller can be suspended for that

May be dealing with a grey area here.  These things happen on ebay, especially when people are using stock images - which is also a no-no but I still see it being done.  I notice especially that people will use a different box to ship their older card that they upgraded from.  Generally you should ask questions in this case, otherwise assume you're getting what is described.

Not saying the seller was completely right either, I just wouldn't count on that policy.  I was able to get a refund on a CPU once because the seller straight up goofed on both ends (the listing and picture).  Either way it was a gamble.