propylenglycol + destilled water on gtx 960

Rheinwasser

hey.

my friend's aio leaked. he got a mixture of propylenglycol and destilled water (approximately  80:20) on it. he didn't immediately notice, just told me that sometimes when he booted the monitor wouldn't turn on. this is what it looks like. any tips for cleaning it?

thanks for any help.

0.jpg

Okay, im no expert in physics, chemistry, electronics or semiconductors or whatnot, but my eyes are saying "Thats a dead/dying card".

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

why do you want to clean it?

your garbage can doesnt care if its clean or not

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ultrasonic cleaner and removing each IC possible and cleaning below it to remove corrosion, a logic board repair shop will do this for you.

Still repaireable.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

3 minutes ago, TeeTwo said:

Okay, im no expert in physics, chemistry, electronics or semiconductors or whatnot, but my eyes are saying "Thats a dead/dying card".

i know, it looks horrible. but both destilled water and propylenglycol don't really conduct electricity in theory.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

neither helpful nor funny.

3 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Ultrasonic cleaner and removing each IC possible and cleaning below it to remove corrosion, a logic board repair shop will do this for you.

Still repaireable.

lol yeah right, because getting a repair shop to put a new GTX960 chip on that card will definitely cost less than the $80 to buy a new 960

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

lol yeah right, because getting a repair shop to put a new GTX960 GPU on that card will definitely cost less than the $80 to buy a new 960

There is no need for a reball and replacement on that card.

There's no cleaning that card. That's corrosion and what looks to me like mold growing on it. That card is ready for a funeral. If it's still magically turning on then that card is no it's last bit of life support and the plug just needs to be pulled. Please put it out of it's misery. 

You could pay to have it repaired but it's going to cost just as much to repair it as it would be to fix it. Your friend just needs to move on to a GTX 1060 or  R9 480.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

3 minutes ago, Rheinwasser said:

i know, it looks horrible. but both destilled water and propylenglycol don't really conduct electricity in theory.

he is not getting monitor output, so its definitely a short

you try putting 1v into the wrong pin on a GPU chip and find out for yourself if thats "repairable"

xD

and your post was? WOW I didnt notice!

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Rheinwasser said:

The alcohol will not conduct power, but the destilled water might, depending on how long this has happened. Since destilled water can absorb ions and minerals from the air, wich in turn might absorb some material from the card, leading to a conducting fluid with risk of the transistors and such being damaged by a short circuit.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

5 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Still repaireable.

well, gonna be fun finding one of these where i live in germany.

do you have an idea whether an ultrasonic cleaner for personal use would be enough or not?

thanks.

True, but that doesn't mean they (specifically the water) didn't mix with something and become conductive when on the card.  Because it looks to me like it is caked with something that is neither water nor propylene glycol, and frankly, looks super corroded.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

well, gonna be fun finding one of these where i live in germany.

do you have an idea whether an ultrasonic cleaner for personal use would be enough or not?

thanks.

As long as it goes in, should be enough, has he tried using a Q-Tip / Ear cleaner style things to clean it? If you do always swab it in one direction.

there is no way to clean it without rendering the card useless. also @Rheinwasser this isn't really a result of short circuiting the chip this is corrosion. which distilled water and a glycol can do pretty easily 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

he is not getting monitor output, so its definitely a short

you try putting 1v into the wrong pin on a GPU chip and find out for yourself if thats "repairable"

xD

and your post was? WOW I didnt notice!

sometimes when he booted the monitor wouldn't turn on

a short doesnt mean that it is permanently broken. so the issue might be fixed after cleaning it. it is worth a try. i just wanted to know how to go about it the best.

no it was'nt. but it also wasn't supposed to be. i was looking for help, not for people to argue with. thank you for your input.

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

there is no way to clean it without rendering the card useless. also @Rheinwasser this isn't really a result of short circuiting the chip this is corrosion. which distilled water and a glycol can do pretty easily 

Nope, that is easily cleaned, I have seen coffee spills been cleaned when the entire board was corroded.

thank you. what should i use to clean it? isopropylalcohol? or just q-tips?

That was alcohol + q-tip then ultrasonic cleaner, it worked but then got reballed to gurantee everything keep working.

7 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

That was alcohol + q-tip then ultrasonic cleaner, it worked but then got reballed to gurantee everything keep working.

what exactly is reballing? do you think it is neccessary?

i'll see if i can find a shop who can do that where i live.

what exactly is reballing? do you think it is neccessary?

i'll see if i can find a shop who can do that where i live.

reballing is melting the solder balls beneath the IC And removing the chip, then replacing it back down after cleaning or changing chip, then letting the balls cool the chip back on.

@TheGamingBarrel @Enderman @Maybach123 @Ophidio @TeeTwo @Ryan_Vickers

thanks for your help everyone!

q-tips and naphta were able to clean it up. it's working fine for a few days now. we are thinking about doing what @TheGamingBarrel suggested.

Just now, Rheinwasser said:

q-tips and naphta were able to clean it up. it's working fine for a few days now. we are thinking about doing what @TheGamingBarrel suggested.

Great!

10 minutes ago, Rheinwasser said:

you dont need to reball anything, reballing is only used when you have cracked solder joints, and without the proper tools you WILL kill your card.

You'll need flux, ultrasonic cleaner, precision soldering iron like a Hakko or something like that and a steady hand.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

On 5/25/2016 at 11:08 AM, Enderman said:

no cares if you go in the bin, your knowledge in this territory is about on par with my pet.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE