My computer room is geting very hot.

john01dav

I have a computer with a FX-8350 + Hyper 212 evo along with a GTX 770 from MSI with a open cooler. Whenever I use my computer -- even for light loads such as programming with a few openGL windows (even if they are empty or nearly so) or web browsing, the room gets very hot such that I start sweating significantly. Most of the time, my 8350 only has one core at 4ghz with the rest at 1.4ghz (I keep it underclocked when not under heavy load via Linux's power saving features to increase the lifespan of the CPU). The GPU is only being used to render the desktop and my programming environment (which isn't very heavy), along with an occasional openGL window for a game that I am working on. This game is literally just a collection of menus and is locked at 60fps -- so it is highly unlikely that is culprit. The CPU stays around 30-35C with the video card around 38-40C. Another interesting thing is that the hard drives are around 30-40C (the lowest one is at 31C, a Samsung SSD along with two Western Digital Black editions, one at 35C and another at 40C (all of these temperatures are at the time of writing). As hard drives generally don't get that hot, I assume that the room is literally at 90F/40C -- which is quite ridiculous. If I open a window and put a fan in it, the problem is solved temporarily. But, I'd rather not have to rely on it as then I am unable to comfortably use my computer during a rainstorm or if I'd rather not broadcast to the world what is on my screen. This is a desktop PC in the Thermaltake Level 10 GT case. Also, I have a NAS and another computer I am working on reparing in this room -- both of which are turned on. I have just turned of the one I am repairing, but I doubt it is the issue. Also, this issue started once I began playing a really heavy game, but, the temperatures don't go back down when I stop playing it for some reason -- this could be an example of correlation without causation.

Is there anything I can do to decrease the heat my computer is dumping into my computer room?

whole room watercooling ? xD get a fan or an AC ?

1 minute ago, bigst4v432 said:

whole room watercooling ? xD get a fan or an AC ?

Whole room watercooling is two expensive and too much hassle. I already said why the fan Idea won't work and I have no idea how to install a new AC, which might be cost-prohibitive anyway. The houses AC doesn't really reach to the room I am in. I'm looking for something that doesn't cost anything -- something like turning a fan speed down to keep a bit more heat in the computer (I did already try turning the case fans down, no effect).

Put in Hardware that uses less power?

If your room heats up like that when you idle, then your room must be very poorly ventilated and very well insulated (or tiny).

It takes about 0,3 watts to heat up a cubic meter of air 1 degree in 1 hour,

Assuming your room is 10 square metres and 2.5 metres high thats 25 cubic metres.

So it takes 7,5 watts to heat up your room 1 degree every hour, 150 watts to heat it up 20 degrees.

That is assuming your room is perfectly sealed and only the air gets heated up without any heat radiation etc.

So...basicly open the window or a door

6 minutes ago, john01dav said:

Whole room watercooling is two expensive and too much hassle. I already said why the fan Idea won't work and I have no idea how to install a new AC, which might be cost-prohibitive anyway. The houses AC doesn't really reach to the room I am in. I'm looking for something that doesn't cost anything -- something like turning a fan speed down to keep a bit more heat in the computer (I did already try turning the case fans down, no effect).

even if you turn up the fans on your rig you are still dumping heat into your room so it wouldn't effect the room temp at all 

3 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

Put in Hardware that uses less power?

If your room heats up like that when you idle, then your room must be very poorly ventilated and very well insulated (or tiny).

It takes about 0,3 watts to heat up a cubic meter of air 1 degree in 1 hour,

Assuming your room is 10 square metres and 2.5 metres high thats 25 cubic metres.

So it takes 7,5 watts to heat up your room 1 degree every hour, 150 watts to heat it up 20 degrees.

That is assuming your room is perfectly sealed and only the air gets heated up without any heat radiation etc.

So...basicly open the window or a door

Getting different components, while it is something I plan to do somewhat soon, isn't the kind of fix I am looking for. Also, although opening a window or door works, I'd prefer to have a bit more privacy that window or door opening gets rid of.

4 minutes ago, john01dav said:

Getting different components, while it is something I plan to do somewhat soon, isn't the kind of fix I am looking for. Also, although opening a window or door works, I'd prefer to have a bit more privacy that window or door opening gets rid of.

Put something in front of the Window that allows air to flow but blocks vision.

1 minute ago, Pesukarhu said:

Put something in front of the Window that allows air to flow but blocks vision.

That's what I'm doing right now but my computer is still unusable during things like rain, which happens quite a lot where I live.

1 minute ago, john01dav said:

That's what I'm doing right now but my computer is still unusable during things like rain, which happens quite a lot where I live.

Well, you need to take the heat out of the computer and take it out of the room, so you need airflow, Water cooling or ac

1 minute ago, Pesukarhu said:

Well, you need to take the heat out of the computer and take it out of the room, so you need airflow, Water cooling or ac

Yes, I know that. I am asking for some easy ways to get the heat out of my room, without paying huge sums of money for something like whole room watercooling.

The only ways to change this are to reduce how much heat the components generate, or to ventilate the room better. Changing the cooling system of the computer (fans, heatsinks, water cooling, etc.) won't help, the cooling systems on the computer don't make heat disappear, they just move it away from the components. All cooling systems will move it at the same rate (the same rate at which the heat is being generated), so changing the fans or whatever won't make the computer put out any more or less heat.

You will need to reduce the power consumption of the computer, either by getting components that use less power, or underclocking/undervolting the ones that you have.

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

You will need to reduce the power consumption of the computer, either by getting components that use less power, or underclocking/undervolting the ones that you have.

I've already underclocked (1.4ghz vs 4ghz) and that doesn't fix the problem. Getting more components isn't an option until I decide to upgrade, which, while I am doing soon I need something to fix the issue until then. I am aware that heating systems don't make the heat disappear. Is there some way to keep a bit more of it in the computer though. For instance, run my processor at 50C rather than 40C to keep the room cooler.

You should measure the temperature in the room. If it's actually not that hot but very humid, you can solve the issue with a simple dehumidifier. In addition to that a floor fan would probably serve you well.

11 minutes ago, john01dav said:

I've already underclocked (1.4ghz vs 4ghz) and that doesn't fix the problem. Getting more components isn't an option until I decide to upgrade, which, while I am doing soon I need something to fix the issue until then. I am aware that heating systems don't make the heat disappear. Is there some way to keep a bit more of it in the computer though. For instance, run my processor at 50C rather than 40C to keep the room cooler.

No, physics doesn't work that way. Heat transfers away from objects more quickly if the difference in temperature is larger. If heat is not being moved from the computer into the room as quickly as the computer is generating it, then heat is building up inside the computer, which will make the temperature go up, which means heat will transfer away from the computer more quickly. The temperature will continue to rise until heat is exiting the computer at the same rate it is being generated. The computer will always dump the same amount of heat into the room no matter how efficient or inefficient your cooling system is, it's just a matter of what temperature the computer will have to rise to.

10 minutes ago, john01dav said:

I don't think it's possible to keep the heat at the processor. Also, bring the clocks back up to 3-3.5 but lower the voltage. Might help.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Well, I am sorry to break it to you but people have been complaining about heat for years and the only solution that properly works is AC. Try buying used one, clean it up so that the temperature drops and becomes more comfortable - especially that it seems to me you will run into the same issue even if you upgrade.

I had the same specs in a small room and it was part of the problem - as I moved to a bigger room, it was much better :)

At the moment, I am running a beast of a PC in signifficantly larger room than the one I used to have and it heats up to solid 30C if I leave my PC on for too long...

Unfortunately, there is no easy fix unless you are willing to dump water all over you and your PC.

44 minutes ago, bigst4v432 said:

even if you turn up the fans on your rig you are still dumping heat into your room so it wouldn't effect the room temp at all 

Maybe consider investing in a larger AC unit? Usually ceiling fan + open window + open door is all I need to cool down the room even when my PC is fully revved up.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

I just remembered, i had a plywood box glued into the exhaust of my pc, with a hose going outside. It helped a little. At least it got the heat away from me :)

open a door or window

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

You can try putting your PC in another room and only have a monitor and your mouse and keyboard in that room like Linus does with his personal rig at home.