CPU cooler running at full speed

IAmAndre

Hi,

I have a Thermaltake NiC C4 CPU cooler and an MSI motherboard (I don't have the model in mind but I can look for it if needed), and every once in a while the CPU cooler runs at full speed, which makes a lot of noise. This only happens when I turn on my computer and very occasionally, like once every month (I turn on my computer about twice every day), so I can't reproduce this. It only happens unexpectedly, and nothing justifies it : the CPU is not overheating as the computer was turned off, and it's a core i3 4130 with a TDP of just 54W. Everything goes back to normal when I turn off the computer and turn it back on.

How can I troubleshoot this issue. Do you think the motherboard is faulty?

Thanks

This is normal. The fans spin up when you power on. This happens on basically all systems. After a few seconds the fans should spin back down. The fans also spin up during load. Even though it's an i3, it will still produce a good amount of heat.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

Startup ramping is BIOS feature where it checks that everything is working. After that BIOS control kicks in, and later when OS loads software control if you use one. Ramping during use is because of temps raise over pre-determinated limit. As you seem to be using default BIOS control, you can check what limits for fan curves are (if that board has so detailed control). You can also setup Speedfan or use MSI control center, if board supports it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv