Really scared to install CPU :s

Guys I am building my first PC soon, and I am really scared to install the CPU...

I really don't want to break it, but from the videos I have seen it looks quite precarious and easy to break :l

Do you have any tips to install it?

I am really scared that at the part when I have to put the retention lever down I will not have aligned it properly and it'll snap...

Also, do I install the CPU Cooler after or before I've fitted the CPU (sorry if noob question)?

Thanks all! 

Not sure is this is a joke or you legitimately don't know anything.

Literally takes 5 seconds to search for a LTT video on the tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuGwPnWrpow

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

the cpu itself isnt that easy to break, the pins on the motherboard however :) they are quite easy to bend

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

if amd: be careful not to bend the pins when grabing the cpu
if intel: dont give a fuck you can't break it 
edit: put thermal paste ontop not under cpu

wow... pretty empty here...

it's quite simple, in actuality.

imo, it's easier to fuck up with an AMD cpu, as the pins are on the actual cpu.

for intel, the pins are in the socket, so you won't fuck them up if you put it in wrong the first time.

Align the arrows, make sure the guide things are aligned, and drop it in.

wiggle it a bit to make sure it's in, lower the retention lever, then install the cooler

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

2 minutes ago, CandleJakk said:

Guys I am building my first PC soon, and I am really scared to install the CPU...

I really don't want to break it, but from the videos I have seen it looks quite precarious and easy to break :l

I am really scared that at the part when I have to put the retention lever down I will not have aligned it properly and it'll snap...

Also, do I install the CPU Cooler after or before I've fitted the CPU (sorry if noob question)?

Thanks all! 

You have nothing to worry about. Just make sure the arrow in the corner of the CPU is aligned with the one on the mobo (it only fits one way), and drop it in the socket gently. Then, just pull the lever, and nothing will snap.

My current build :

Hurricane Mk.I

• CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz ~ 1.25V
  • Cooling - Corsair H60 2013 Edition
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 (mATX)
  • RAM - 16 GB DDR3-1600 Avexir Core Series (Red LEDs)
  • GPU - XFX Radeon R9 Fury X @ 1100/500 MHz -24 mV
  • Case - CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3
  • SSD - 256 GB ADATA SX900
  • HDD - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
  • PSU - Corsair RM750 (750W 80+ Gold)
  • Display - LG 34UM67-P Ultrawide (Freesync)
  • Keyboard - CM Storm Quickfire TK (Cherry MX Red) + CM Masterkeys Pro S RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
  • Mouse - Razer DeathAdder 2013
  • Audio - Sennheiser HD598 SE with detachable mic
  • OS - Windows 10 Home Edition
  • VR - Lenovo Explorer Windows Mixed Reality Headset
  • Laptop - ASUS K501LX with i7-5500U and GTX 950M

3 minutes ago, CandleJakk said:

Thanks all! 

There is a little arrow in the corner of the cpu that will line up with one on the mobo so you don't install it in the wrong direction. Always install the CPU first, then the cooler.

Depending on if it's an AMD or an Intel CPU care about the installation differently. Just watch some of LTTs build guides and if you follow their tips (like in the case of an Intel CPU wiggling it after laying it on the contact pins) it shouldn't be a problem.

Also you of-course install the CPU first and the coolor on top of it later.

you know.. .you can always buy me a plane ticket and I can come to your home to do it for youi

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Hold the CPU on the sides, where the top dye comes out.

Align the little arrow one the CPU with the one on the motherboard.

Place it right down, and do NOT put force on it.

Push the retention lever/arm down. It takes force. Just push it straight down.

The CPU cooler is put on afterwards

Windstriker 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A

Memory: Crucial BallistiX Sport LT DDR4 2400MHz 16gb (2x8GB)

GPU 1: XFX HD 7970 3GB Double Dissipation

GPU 2: Gigabyte HD 7970 3GB Windforce

SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

Case: Fractal Design Define S

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2

Old Laptop

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i3 3110M

IGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Memory: No-Name DDR3 4GB (1x4GB)

HDD: 443GB

It's going to be fine! Just be careful when handling it and make sure to watch a few videos if you haven't already.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

8 minutes ago, Spectrez said:

the cpu itself isnt that easy to break, the pins on the motherboard however :) they are quite easy to bend

ah i see - thanks for the advice

1 minute ago, CandleJakk said:

ah i see - thanks for the advice

It's very easy. Just don't force it in and try not to touch the bottom.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

7 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

it's quite simple, in actuality.

imo, it's easier to fuck up with an AMD cpu, as the pins are on the actual cpu.

for intel, the pins are in the socket, so you won't fuck them up if you put it in wrong the first time.

Align the arrows, make sure the guide things are aligned, and drop it in.

wiggle it a bit to make sure it's in, lower the retention lever, then install the cooler

Oh, phew, I have an (well I am getting it soon) i5 6500, so thanks for the encouragement! Also thanks for the detailed response :)

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

It's very easy. Just don't force it in and try not to touch the bottom.

ok, thanks again! :D 

use the arrow, it is easy, (only ever used intel) but as long as you put the gold arrow in the correct direction it will be fine, take a deep breath. and do it. you'll be fine!

13 minutes ago, das affe said:

if intel: dont give a fuck you can't break it 

You most definitely can break the CPU.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's pretty easy to install the CPU, just make sure with intel CPUs, it's sitting in the socket properly before you close the retention arm :D (also, one more thing, REMEMBER TO NOT USE ANY FORCE unless you're closing the retention arm :).)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

12 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You most definitely can break the CPU.

Not easily, I have a pentium D 820 That I threw in sub-zero water, threw across my room and used a as a thermal paste spreader and it worked (Until I delidded it without removing solder :D)

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

17 minutes ago, lord of mush said:

use the arrow, it is easy, (only ever used intel) but as long as you put the gold arrow in the correct direction it will be fine, take a deep breath. and do it. you'll be fine!

thanks man! :)

ahh. a cpu inserting virgin... i was one too. you cant fuck it up. line the triangle on the cpu with the triangle on the socket holding the cpu by edges slowly lower it in then let go. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It's pretty easy to install the CPU, just make sure with intel CPUs, it's sitting in the socket properly before you close the retention arm :D (also, one more thing, REMEMBER TO NOT USE ANY FORCE unless you're closing the retention arm :).)

Ok, thanks!

How can I tell if it's sitting comfortably?

Just now, CandleJakk said:

Ok, thanks!

wiggle it very gently.

1 minute ago, CandleJakk said:

Ok, thanks!

The notches are in the correct place, the CPU is sitting parallel to the socket/motherboard (hard to explain really) but whatever you do, don't force it :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)