Beyerdynamics DT770 or ATH M50x's?

Tazman192

So my Superlux headphones packed in recently, and while they sounded good, I feel it's time to pay the price for some good headphones rather than continously buying low range headphones at a 1/3rd of the price.

My primary use is for gaming, but will also use it for movies and music. The music genres I listen to are rap, rnb, and rock. Because I'm using them for gaming, I'd like something that's comfy for hours. I'm unlikely to take them outside with me (I have a pair of AKG K451's which are nice and portable).

I'm stuck between the DT770's and the M50x's.

Based on user experience, what would you guys suggest between the two? Is there others that are worth considering based on my usage? If the DT770's prove popular, what's recommended? 32 Ohm or 80 Ohm version? Going to avoid the 250 Ohm version because I don't want to buy an amp to power them.

Any advice is always appreciated :)

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

DT 770 just for the comfort alone, the M50X's can be quite uncomfortable. They will likely sound better anyways.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

DT 770 just for the comfort alone, the M50X's can be quite uncomfortable. They will likely sound better anyways.

The only off-putting thing I just acknowledged is that the cable isn't detachable with the DT770's.

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

I personally use the M50X, they can get uncomfortable using the stock foams, this can be fixed by changing the foams for some others, I use the Brainwavz HM5 Velour. For the rest I guess it depends on what kind of sound you want, the M50X are very flat and sound clear which is good for studio uses but that doesn't mean you will like them for a regular person use. I listen to Metal, rock and... with these and I am pretty happy with them but for video games and movies they might sound a bit boring since they aren't very good for bass.

37 minutes ago, Lunatica said:

I personally use the M50X, they can get uncomfortable using the stock foams, this can be fixed by changing the foams for some others, I use the Brainwavz HM5 Velour. For the rest I guess it depends on what kind of sound you want, the M50X are very flat and sound clear which is good for studio uses but that doesn't mean you will like them for a regular person use. I listen to Metal, rock and... with these and I am pretty happy with them but for video games and movies they might sound a bit boring since they aren't very good for bass.

nope not flat, they are far from flat.

OP get the dt 770 they put the m50x to shame when it comes to comfort and the sound quality is also higher. The different ohm versions should sound the same unless they have done something more to it and normally ohm means jack shit when it comes to how hard headphones are to drive, but in the dt line up it matters for some weird reason.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

As someone who used to use a pair of M50's. I'd personally stay away from them. They sound alright, but they aren't an amazing experience. Especially since the clamping pressure of them is as high as they are. Couldn't normally use mine for more than 30-minute stilts before having to take them off.

as an owner of both the DT770 80ohm and an M50 non X version I say both. but as an all rounder the 770 might have the edge

I feel there is way WAAy more detail in the M50 especially the highs and the separation of sounds but everything sounded very 'In head' very enclosed where as the 770 had a better soundstage, I even preferred it for soundwhoring for black ops 2 over my open backed ATH ad700 (but only black ops 2 the ad700 was better in all other games for some reason the blops 2 sound engine was better with the 770) 

perhaps my 770 is defective or something but it sounds a bit sloppy when compared to the M50 
as for clamping force... I've been bending the spring steel headband backwards to relieve the pressure on most of my headphones. I thought this was an obvious fix 

People:

Please stop describing the M50X as "flat". I've seen this happen multiple times recently. It basically robs you of all credibility in terms of your ability to assess sound signature.

19 hours ago, Lunatica said:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm not keen on the plush pleather stock cups, and will change them out for something similar to what Superlux HD681 uses. I believe the Brainwavz one you mentioned is similar. That's a put offputting that it doesn't sound good for games, but I guess everyones mileage varies.

19 hours ago, Dackzy said:

nope not flat, they are far from flat.

OP get the dt 770 they put the m50x to shame when it comes to comfort and the sound quality is also higher. The different ohm versions should sound the same unless they have done something more to it and normally ohm means jack shit when it comes to how hard headphones are to drive, but in the dt line up it matters for some weird reason.

Thanks for the reply. The only offputting thing about the 770's are the undetachable cable, and the cable is pretty massive which could be a headache. Otherwise I think I'd bite the bullet. They look soooooooo comfy. Thank you for the input.

12 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

As someone who used to use a pair of M50's. I'd personally stay away from them. They sound alright, but they aren't an amazing experience. Especially since the clamping pressure of them is as high as they are. Couldn't normally use mine for more than 30-minute stilts before having to take them off.

M50's are known to have shitty clamping pressure but surely you could stretch them out yourself? I've heard the clamping pressure on the M50x is massive so there's that. Thanks for the input.

10 hours ago, Aphexx said:

as an owner of both the DT770 80ohm and an M50 non X version I say both. but as an all rounder the 770 might have the edge

I feel there is way WAAy more detail in the M50 especially the highs and the separation of sounds but everything sounded very 'In head' very enclosed where as the 770 had a better soundstage, I even preferred it for soundwhoring for black ops 2 over my open backed ATH ad700 (but only black ops 2 the ad700 was better in all other games for some reason the blops 2 sound engine was better with the 770) 

perhaps my 770 is defective or something but it sounds a bit sloppy when compared to the M50 
as for clamping force... I've been bending the spring steel headband backwards to relieve the pressure on most of my headphones. I thought this was an obvious fix 

How do you feel the M50x's fare for games? A poster above said they might sound boring because of the lack of bass. Do you agree with this?

2 hours ago, Tazman192 said:

How do you feel the M50x's fare for games? A poster above said they might sound boring because of the lack of bass. Do you agree with this?

That is a lie and a half, they have more bass to them. I have a question for you, do you particularly care to have extra bass? 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz