Different types of RAM

Go to solution Solved by Quaker,
7 hours ago, SerialAceTU1 said:

And what makes them suitable for different tasks and/or different groups of users?

(e.g. enterprises, gamers, normal consumers.)

Mostly it's a matter of what type of RAM a system is designed to use. If your system is designed to use say, DDR3 RAM, it just won't work with older DDR2 RAM because of timing and socket changes.

Some RAM is designed to be low power - DDR3L for example. This is used mostly in low power tablets, laptops, NUCs, etc.

Some RAM is designed to be error free - ECC RAM for example. In servers and other mission critical applications, you want to make sure that there are no errors when reading and writing to RAM, so extra error checking bits are added.

For average consumer use, there's no big need to be low-power or quite so error free, so cheaper standard power non-ECC RAM is used. (Of course, "standard" power is only relative to "low-power" within a certain RAM type. RAM, like everything else, tends to use less power in newer generations.)

Hi community,

How many types of random-access memory (RAM) are there?

And what makes them suitable for different tasks and/or different groups of users?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Please make sure you're posting in the proper sub-forum at all times.

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Please make sure you're posting in the proper sub-forum at all times.

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

Sorry about that :/

here's a nice piece of literature on CPU memory:

https://www.akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

7 hours ago, SerialAceTU1 said:

Mostly it's a matter of what type of RAM a system is designed to use. If your system is designed to use say, DDR3 RAM, it just won't work with older DDR2 RAM because of timing and socket changes.

Some RAM is designed to be low power - DDR3L for example. This is used mostly in low power tablets, laptops, NUCs, etc.

Some RAM is designed to be error free - ECC RAM for example. In servers and other mission critical applications, you want to make sure that there are no errors when reading and writing to RAM, so extra error checking bits are added.

For average consumer use, there's no big need to be low-power or quite so error free, so cheaper standard power non-ECC RAM is used. (Of course, "standard" power is only relative to "low-power" within a certain RAM type. RAM, like everything else, tends to use less power in newer generations.)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

17 hours ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

You need to be more specific, I could list more than 10 Different kinds of DDR3 without even starting with ECC.

Never mind about the 1st question (not specific)