How far can i3 6100 can go?

Go to solution Solved by HPWebcamAble,
6 minutes ago, SandroMK said:

But guys, with my current setup i can play GTA V with no problems. Full HD, with ultra settings. No lags or anything, it runs smoothly. I don't know the frames exactly but it handles perfect. Other games also, BF4/3, COD Ghosts, Mortal Kombat X on highest possible setup. I haven't tried yet other games, cuz i barely find time to play these and complete.

To summarize my previous posts:

Get the best GPU you can afford right now. The 970 (or R9 390) is an excellent choice. You can upgrade you CPU in the future for a bit better performance.

I mean, what GPU i can put so it can handle? Currently I'm running GTX 670 on it, so can it handle 970? ( I wanna know if there will be any bottleneck problems )

EDIT: Specs 

CPU : i3 6100 3.7 Ghz

Motherboard : MSI H110 Gaming

RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)

GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 670 SuperClocked 4 GB

Storage : Kingston HyperX 240GB // HDD 500GB

PSU :EVGA 700 B1 80+ Bronze

Cooling : Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212

2 minutes ago, SandroMK said:

I mean, what GPU i can put so it can handle? Currently I'm running GTX 670 on it, so can it handle 970? ( I wanna know if there will be any bottleneck problems )

You can run a 970 with it but cpu bottle necks are going to wreck your frame rate.

1 minute ago, Manage My Cables said:

You can run a 970 with it but cpu bottle necks are going to wreck your frame rate.

So i have to look for later series GPU. 

I wanna know, which GPU can be on top stage for my CPU, just give me model. 

@GreezyJeezy Can you give me NVIDIA example please? I have no idea on Radeon cards

1 minute ago, SandroMK said:

@GreezyJeezy Can you give me NVIDIA example please? I have no idea on Radeon cards

why Nvidia? you want the best and i told you. unless you want a 960 but thats worse

I wouldn't go past a 960 on nvidias side or a 370 on amd's side.

2 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

why Nvidia? you want the best and i told you. unless you want a 960 but thats worse

Okay. that 380 is better than 780ti? Let's say ima get later series GPU (used one) not 900 series. 

@Manage My Cables What about 780ti ?

I have mine paired with a R9 380X and it seems to be fine.

Previously had a GTX 670.

PC: i3 6100/R9 380X 4GB/8GB DDR4/840GB worth of SSDs * rMBP: i7 4870HQ/GT 750M 2GB/16GB DDR3/512GB SSD * Wii U 8GB/XB1S 2TB

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

the 380 is a better 970

Okay, which non-reference card should i look for ? I know that EVGA makes good cards on NVidia, couldn't find them making Radeon cards. So suggest me master :D

For AMD cards I've always gone with XFX.

PC: i3 6100/R9 380X 4GB/8GB DDR4/840GB worth of SSDs * rMBP: i7 4870HQ/GT 750M 2GB/16GB DDR3/512GB SSD * Wii U 8GB/XB1S 2TB

Okay, which non-reference card should i look for ? I know that EVGA makes good cards on NVidia, couldn't find them making Radeon cards. So suggest me master :D

EVGA only make nvida cards, just like saphire only makes AMD cards 

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

EVGA only make nvida cards, just like saphire only makes AMD cards 

So Sapphire or XFX?

sapphire one of the best AMD card makers.

Don't go ASUS as they just slap their nvdia coolers onto the amd cards which aren't the best.

I personally have a msi.. its ok.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

To clarify, the 380 does not outperform a 970.

Its the 380X that approaches 970 level of performance but at a better price.

For the sake of avoiding bottleneck, I suggest a second hand 960 4GB or 970.

yeah i was thinking 390 when i said that

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A GTX 980 level card should be able to run full speed with an i3-6100 depending on the game, if this is any indication: 409969540a18dd1f77553a407868cbea.png

(the setup was using an i5-4670K, so give or take this was about as good as an i3 whatever Haswell)

no that will bottleneck like a bitch

3 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

no that will bottleneck like a bitch

You have to take it as a whole too and not just look at "is the CPU load much higher than the GPU load?". Some of these games were easily exceeding 60FPS without putting a lot of load on the GPU and the tests were run at their highest quality presets.

And there are also anomalies, like UT3 using only 16% of the GPU.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You have to take it as a whole too and not just look at "is the CPU load much higher than the GPU load?". Some of these games were easily exceeding 60FPS without putting a lot of load on the GPU and the tests were run at their highest quality presets.

anything faster than a 380 will bottleneck too much

4 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

anything faster than a 380 will bottleneck too much

What's "Too much"?

I suppose it'd be fair to throw this one out:

72874004c0d02911fadfece6c0b97174.png

While yes, there is a game that really wanted more CPU cores, most of the others didn't even budge all that much when getting all the cores. So again, it depends on the game you're playing. A GTX 980 level card however is the most I'd recommend for an i3 CPU.

EDIT:

It also depends on whether or not you really care about achieving the fastest everything possible when you're already exceeding 60FPS. And also, it depends if future games will eat up the CPU more, because so far, they haven't. Most games are GPU limited and I suspect with proper multithreaded and all that from DX12/Vulkan, this makes the CPU even less relevant.

37 minutes ago, SandroMK said:

EDIT: Specs 

CPU : i3 6100 3.7 Ghz

Motherboard : MSI H110 Gaming

RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)

GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 670 SuperClocked 4 GB

Storage : Kingston HyperX 240GB // HDD 500GB

PSU :EVGA 700 B1 80+ Bronze

Cooling : Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212

If you can afford a 970 or 390, I'd go for it. You'll have a small CPU bottleneck in some games (and very bad on others), but you can always upgrade your CPU later. It doesn't make much sense to get a WORSE GPU now.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What's "Too much"?

I suppose it'd be fair to throw this one out:

72874004c0d02911fadfece6c0b97174.png

While yes, there is a game that really wanted more CPU cores, most of the others didn't even budge all that much when getting all the cores. So again, it depends on the game you're playing. A GTX 980 level card however is the most I'd recommend for an i3 CPU.

im telling you even a 380 will have a slight bottleneck but it wont be bad enough to worry about. a 980 will be terrible. idc about those benchmarks thats  different CPU

I'm lost here now. the 970 i said for example. I'm not really looking to get latest series GPU, also a new one. I was looking for 780ti. (i should have started like that, sorry). If i decide to get 970 or 980, ill upgrade my Mobo and CPU to z170 and i5 6600k. but for now lets say, the 1080 comes out, the gpu price is going to drop so, if i can get 780ti for cheap , should i go for it ?

@Ophidio

@HPWebcamAble

@GreezyJeezy

@M.Yurizaki