Linux question

I don't use Linux, but I would like to. 

I have a few questions:

• Which Linux OS should I start with if I do editing, games and regular browsing.
  • What is the latest most stable OS version out there? I would like to know the date it was released. 

Thanks!

derpylt,

7 minutes ago, derpylt said:

I have a few questions:

• Which Linux OS should I start with if I do editing, games and regular browsing.
  • What is the latest most stable OS version out there? I would like to know the date it was released. 

Thanks!

derpylt,

My personal favorites are Ubuntu and Linux Mint (16.04 and 17.3 respectively are the latest stable versions).

They are very similar in the underlying structure, which means that the same packages and instructions work for both distros, they look very different though. These distros have a lot of support from the community (so if you browse your problem and add 'Ubuntu' you'll get the answer very soon).

I'd say look at both of them and choose the one you like most depending on aesthetics. 

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

9 minutes ago, derpylt said:

I have a few questions:

Thanks!

derpylt,

The answer to your questions will differ drastically depending on who you ask.

I would personally use either Ubuntu or CentOS, but as I've just said most distros can do pretty much the same thing it's just a matter of installing the right packages.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

38 minutes ago, derpylt said:

I have a few questions:

Thanks!

derpylt,

Linux is any open source OS that uses Linux kernel. You are asking what distro: I recommend Ubuntu or Linux Mint. They are quite easy to use and if something breaks, it is easy to Google solutions. Problem with Linux is that not a lot of mainstream software such as Photoshop, After Effects etc is not on Linux and not every has a decent alternative. Games perform really badly (maybe Vulkan will help with this). For non profesional use like internet browsing etc, Linux is great, since it is pretty lightweight.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

This will answer most of your questions.

(also nice desktop steeze ;))

CPU: Intel i5-3470

GPU: MSI GTX 780

I'd have to agree with people saying Ubuntu.

Ubuntu 16.04 was released on April 21st, 2016 and runs on the Linux Kernel version 4.4. It will have a support life of the next 5 years if you're not one of those people who always needs to be on the latest.

If you look into it and aren't a fan of it's default interface (known as Unity), there's also a bunch of different official flavors that offer different desktop environments, Ubuntu GNOME being my personal favorite. You can check out the latest videos on the Linux Scoop YouTube channel to see the different desktops in action.

Just keep in mind the power of your system. Ubuntu GNOME and Kubuntu will be the heaviest of the group, Ubuntu (default, with Unity) will be more middle-of-the-road, and Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, and Lubuntu will be your lightweight picks.

Hope it helps!

unity has some nice design features like it being on the left, this frees up vertical pixels (the ones we lack most of) which gives more room for reading and writing. This can be done with other UI's but i don't think it looks quite as good.

ubuntu or mint are the two most used as said but ElementaryOS or SolusOS have very nice Ui's clean and simple a bit like chromeOS

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

20 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

unity has some nice design features like it being on the left, this frees up vertical pixels (the ones we lack most of) which gives more room for reading and writing. This can be done with other UI's but i don't think it looks quite as good.

I agree, Unity's side dock is great, I think the top bar with the unified menu is fantastic, and 'HUD' is probably the most underrated feature in any Linux distro. The 'Dash' menu is where I really take fault with the interface. Not only does use the 'just a big list of applications' approach, but the sorting is hidden and not that useful, it tried to pull off the 'recently used' thing that just feels poorly integrated, and the lenses feel uninspired and useless. Not to mention that the Dash plugins show up in the same menu and now the 'Logout' 'Shutdown' and 'Reboot' buttons are all just mixed in with your applications. It's funny you mention elementaryOS, I was just saying the other day that Unity was exactly like it is today with only the exception of using Pantheon's menu paradigm over the current Unity implementation, it may be the best desktop environment out there.

20 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

ubuntu or mint are the two most used as said but ElementaryOS or SolusOS have very nice Ui's clean and simple a bit like chromeOS

I wouldn't suggest Mint to a new user just because of their lack of a GUI upgrade tool for jumping between versions. If I remember correctly you can't even just do a 'sudo apt dist-upgrade' to jump from one release to the next, you have to edit your sources list to the newer repos and cross your fingers hoping everything works.

Similarly I wouldn't recommend SolusOS for a new user either, not because it's difficult in any way, but their package management isn't really up-to-snuff yet and the application selection isn't quite there, especially since OP is going to be video editing.

elementaryOS on the other hand, I do think is a good choice, but it would sort of depend on how new the computer their putting on it is and if they're okay using slightly out-of-date software. My biggest issue with elementaryOS is that they went the route of being their own distribution instead of an official Ubuntu flavor. Not because I don't they they add enough value to be considered their own thing, but because they're out of take, typically by a full year. Luna came out a full year after Ubuntu 12.04 that is was based on, then it was three years until Freya, based on the then full year old 14.04. Hardware support will suffer, packages won't be up to date, and it just sort of sucks. If they released elementaryOS versions right alongside the Ubuntu LTS release they were basing them on, I would very likely use it on any machine where I would install Ubuntu, but it's release cycle just makes me pass it by. I don't want to install 12.04, then install Luna a year later, then install 14.04 for the new features, then install Freya a year later, then install 16.04 for new features, then wait a year for whatever is next.

Disclaimer: All of that said, don't let my personal opinions influence your final decision, OP, you may love something I hate, issues in my eyes may not be a problem for you at all, and maybe we just have completely different needs or taste. At the end of the day I'd still suggest Ubuntu or an official flavor with a different desktop environment, but that's just me. Hell, I don't even run Ubuntu anymore, I use Fedora!

2 hours ago, iBurley said:

snip.

nice information :P tbh I use ubuntu on my PC now. really enjoy that installing software is one command not open a website, download a file, open it, make sure i'm not installing 6 billion adware or tool bars.

Elementary OS I was looking at to run as the main OS on my chromebook, just a nice looking UI.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´