AMD and Nvidia in one system for different purposes?

martward
Go to solution Solved by Osiris199,

Won't work, because Nvidia blocks the installation of drivers when other GPU's than theirs are installed in the system.

Hi all, I currently have a GTX 950 (well it's been away for RMA for over a month now but still) and I was thinking of upgrading soon.

I really want to have an Nvidia card because I want to use cuda for project at the university, but for gaming I don't really have a preference.

Would it be possible to put a GTX 950 and a tbd AMD card in my PC and use one for cuda and one for gaming?

If so, won't that be a real mess having the drivers for Nvidia and AMD both installed?

Thanks

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

If you need CUDA, get a Nvidia graphics card. 

If you don't need CUDA, get the best card in your price range (AMD or Nvidia). 

I wouldn't recommend trying to get an AMD and Nvidia card to work in the same computer. 

Won't work, because Nvidia blocks the installation of drivers when other GPU's than theirs are installed in the system.

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

@Comic_Sans_MS @Osiris 

Well that's a shame. Thanks for the info :)

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

4 hours ago, Osiris199 said:

BS. That's straight up wrong.

4 hours ago, martward said:

@Comic_Sans_MS @Osiris 

Well that's a shame. Thanks for the info :)

OP, do NOT believe that guy, because he is WRONG.

You can use 2 cards from different vendors just fine. It's a bit of a hassle to get the programs to use the right GPU, but it's perfectly doable. I've lived over 4 months with such setup.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

look into Google's GPUCC - Open CUDA compiler

also AMD is working on CUDA translator

also AMD and nVidia will work in a system, there will be some loops and hoops to jump trough but it can be setup to work properly

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

OP, do NOT believe that guys, because he is WRONG.

You can use 2 cards from different vendors just fine. It's a bit of a hassle to get the programs to use the right GPU, but it's perfectly doable. I've lived over 4 months with such setup.

So the drivers won't get in each others way? I'd probably use the AMD GPU on Windows and the Nvidia card on a linux distro (dual booted) so I might not even have to install the AMD drivers on linux and Nvidia on Windows, though that would require me changing the cables each time I switch OS.

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

look into Google's GPUCC - Open CUDA compiler

also AMD is working on CUDA translator

GPUCC still won't work on AMD right? Since I would be using packages I am a little hesitant to rely on experimental features like GPUCC and a CUDA translator that is still in development, if it fails or one library doesn't work or something then basically everything is broken.

My System:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, martward said:

So the drivers won't get in each others way? I'd probably use the AMD GPU on Windows and the Nvidia card on a linux distro (dual booted) so I might not even have to install the AMD drivers on linux and Nvidia on Windows, though that would require me changing the cables each time I switch OS.

Not really.

Also, I wouldn't dual boot just for that. Sure, if you have apps that don't run / run faster on one OS or the other, maybe. But if you can keep them both on the same OS just fine.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

7 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Not really.

Also, I wouldn't dual boot just for that. Sure, if you have apps that don't run / run faster on one OS or the other, maybe. But if you can keep them both on the same OS just fine.

Nah I'm dual booting anyway, I need Linux for my studies and Windows for my gaming.

My System:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Imakuni said:

OP, do NOT believe that guys, because he is WRONG.

I never said he couldn't, I said he shouldn't.

8 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I never said he couldn't, I said he shouldn't.

?

I never said anythign about you, I quoted someonelse.

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

?

I never said anythign about you, I quoted someonelse.

You quoted a post that the OP tagged me in and said  "do not believe that guys."

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

You quoted a post that the OP tagged me in and said  "do not believe that guys."

Typo. The "S" wasn't supposed to be there. Makes even more sense if you consider that "guys" should be used with "those" rather than "that".

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Typo. The "S" wasn't supposed to be there. Makes even more sense if you consider that "guys" should be used with "those" rather than "that".

I am sorry if I misinterpreted you but typos go hand in hand with grammatical errors. 

3 hours ago, Imakuni said:

OP, do NOT believe that guy, because he is WRONG.

I was probably mistaking this with PhysX support for AMD cards, where NVidia blocks the support for GPU rendered physics when an AMD card is installed...

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

PhysX isn't allowed when AMD card is the primary graphic device but other than that both cards can work. Getting this into a workable solution however where you can use one OS on one card and a different OS on another is probably going to also require a HDMI switcher so you can share the same monitor on both OS. CUDA will happily use the Nvidia card and spot it as a secondary and in Linux its certainly possible to edit the X setup to use a different card and assign the monitors to it than the default, a bit of hassle but its doable.