How to uncrew a thumb screw thats almost impossible to move?

Dragontamercos

I have a thumb screw (that in the great gpu death of 2015 got some soda on it) that refuses to come out, im upgrading to an SSD and well...I cant get into my drives. I tried screw drivers, ALL OF THEM! even screw drivers for cars but it would not fit, I tried Wrenches. If i saw it off there will still be metal..I dont know what to do

A human who wants so destroy all else

-demonic satan Duane

wrench?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

wrench?

already tried that

-demonic satan Duane

needle nose pliers with a rubber band b/t the thumbscrew and the pliers

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Just now, Dragontamercos said:

already tried that

Does it move at all? Or is it stripped out?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Does it move at all? Or is it stripped out?

not a single budge

-demonic satan Duane

1 minute ago, Dragontamercos said:

not a single budge

WD-40 may help if you spray the screw threads. 

You mentioned getting soda on it. I wonder if some kind of solvent will help get rid of any gunk that's on it, like isopropyl alcohol. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

3 minutes ago, DrM said:

needle nose pliers with a rubber band b/t the thumbscrew and the pliers

sorry i got detracted for a while by your gif..if a wrench wont work i dont think that will

-demonic satan Duane

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

WD-40 may help if you spray the screw threads. 

You mentioned getting soda on it. I wonder if some kind of solvent will help get rid of any gunk that's on it, like isopropyl alcohol. 

already tried that, water too

-demonic satan Duane

28 minutes ago, Dragontamercos said:

already tried that, water too

Can you provide a picture?

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Can you provide a picture?

my room literally does not have a source of light (besides my mother) i see really nothing odd...

-demonic satan Duane

when you use a screwdriver, try applying more downward force than rotational. Have someone hold your case and use your whole body to rotate instead of just your wrists.

Be careful not to slip or break anything.

Intel i5-6600K, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Asus MAXIMUS VIII Gene, 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, GTX 1080 EVGA FTW, Thermaltake Core v21, Seasonic M12II 850W

Use a hammer

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Use a hammer

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i dont think im going to do that

-demonic satan Duane

If you have any PB Blaster, try a bit of that. Though you'll probably want to just put some on a cotton swab and dab it onto the screw. Try and get it as wet as you can without getting the PB Blaster on other stuff. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes and then try. WD-40 only really displaces moisture, and isn't the best at breaking bolts free. If PB Blaster can make rusted suspension hardware break free, I'm sure it can break the grip of a soda-covered thumbscrew.

13 minutes ago, Dragontamercos said:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i dont think im going to do that

So you didn't bother to clean up the soda that was spilled from 2015?

Take a flat head screw driver and a hammer and lightly tap end where the screw thumb screw meets the surface. Maybe this might help break the sugary bond. And you'll need a long screw driver to give you more torque, so you can then unscrew it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Have you tried using a pair of Vise Grips and locking them down real tight?

4 hours ago, Dragontamercos said:

I have a thumb screw (that in the great gpu death of 2015 got some soda on it) that refuses to come out, im upgrading to an SSD and well...I cant get into my drives. I tried screw drivers, ALL OF THEM! even screw drivers for cars but it would not fit, I tried Wrenches. If i saw it off there will still be metal..I dont know what to do

Tried an electric screwdriver?

Also if it's stuck because it got soda in it, tried bathing it in Isopropyl Alcohol?

Worst case scenario, drill it off >:D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Longer wrench.

That doesn't work?

Longer wrench.

That doesn't work?

Longer wrench.

Repeat until it moves. "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum to place it on and i can move the world"

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

What Spwath said.  But be gentle when applying all that force.

Otherwise, can you get to the backside?  If so, apply the WD-40 or PB blaster there, then give it some time to work into the threads.

Also, if you can place a small punch or other bit of metal against the back end of the screw, then have someone gently tap on that with a hammer/mallet while you attempt to turn the screw from the knob end, that might help. 

Worse case scenario you can drill out the screw, but then you'll have to fill the hole with something like JB weld, then drill and re-tap a new mounting hole.