Graphics Card Doesn't have Enough Slots

ImInjured

I have four monitors, but only can get 2 running off of one EVGA GTX 980 Ti because there aren't enough slots. I had a USB->VGA device so I'm using that for a third monitor but it is insanely slow. I was wondering if I can purchase a small graphics card and just install it for more slots or if I should use displayport to hdmi?

evga_gtx980ti_sc_test-10.jpg

you have more than 2 ports, buy a hdmi cable or something and use that.

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

4 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

evga_gtx980ti_sc_test-10.jpg

you have more than 2 ports, buy a hdmi cable or something and use that.

One HDMI, One DVI. The rest are displayport, which my monitors don't support.

8 minutes ago, ImInjured said:

The rest are displayport, which my monitors don't support.

Use adaptors then. (£7 ~£8 or so [$10 ~$12])

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

8 minutes ago, soup said:

Use adaptors then. (£7 ~£8 or so [$10 ~$12])

Do you know if that will cause lag time/delays?

18 minutes ago, ImInjured said:

oh well you didn't mention that. You can get adapters

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

22 minutes ago, ImInjured said:

42 minutes ago, ImInjured said:

Get a Display Port to ->  DVI I or HDMI  adaptor.

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=4206327

I used to use display port to DVI I x3 adaptors on my old Samsung 1080p monitors

They were HP ones. Similar to the above.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AT3UBWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Work really well. DO NOT BUY CHEAP ADAPTORS. used HP as they were certified.

Have also used a HP usb 3.0 display link to HDMI HP adaptor. Again certified displaylink adaptor. On another computer. Worked ok with USB 2.0 too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001TPIRXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't panic and buy a new GPU for the sake of it.

Just buy a £20 adaptor.

Don't forget to use Linustechtips affiliate URLs if going to make purchases!

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

35 minutes ago, ImInjured said:

If your get a decent manufacturer - absolutely not. Its not doing anything to the signal. Just converting the port. Obviously HDMI also takes audio. However, you're only moving picture signal.

Displaylink (USB -> HDMI or DVI) adaptors use software to transfer the signal to/from USB. On USB 3.0 you should not lose frames. On USB 2.0 you might for bandwidth.

You should ONLY buy displaylink certified adaptors in my experience. Alot of fake uncertified adaptors are made in China. The HP one above were certified.

However, for you. Displayport to HDMI or DVI-I? These aren't displaylink type adaptors. You don't need them on your 980Ti card. Just an adaptor.

You won't notice any difference in frames.

Just don't buy junk adaptors. I can vouch for HP ones. Have used them myself.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

GTX 980Ti supports to up 4 displays on a single card for Nvidia 3D Surround, so it should be able to handle 3 monitors for basic use. Just get adapter that converts DP to the port you need to use. There are two types, active and passive. Passive has a built in converter chip that does the signal conversion from the adapter. Passive does not and relies on the port from the gpu to do the conversion and that depends on if that port supports this or not. Active are more expensive than passive. Btw, slots and ports are two different things.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list