So I have this n64

Korepavore

I have an n64 but I don't have one of those big TVs that have the ports for the red white and yellow wires ( I don't know what they're called ) do they make an adapter that would plug into an hdmi port?

*PRO TIP* neon lights do in fact make your rig faster!

Double check your TV and see if it has Component (the red, green, blue + red and white RCA connectors). On a lot of modern LCD TV's, the green connector doubles as a composite video connector (the yellow RCA connector).

If it doesn't have that, then just use a composite to HDMI adapter.

4 hours ago, B16CXHatch said:

Double check your TV and see if it has Component (the red, green, blue + red and white RCA connectors). On a lot of modern LCD TV's, the green connector doubles as a composite video connector (the yellow RCA connector).

If it doesn't have that, then just use a composite to HDMI adapter.

Basically this. 

Though, if your HDTV doesn't support composite (yellow) whatsoever (with or without component) then I would recommend just picking up an old fat TV. No lag, and usually, better standard-def picture quality than Composite to HDMI converters (unless you get a really nice one). 

If you do get a converter, make sure you read some reviews online before purchasing, because they can be REALLY laggy, especially on the cheapo end.

Or you could check if it has (RGB) SCART if it doesn't have component. (I don't actually know how common SCART is outside of Europe)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

Or you could check if it has (RGB) SCART if it doesn't have component. (I don't actually know how common SCART is outside of Europe)

Extremely uncommon for the most part, also the N64 does not natively support RGB SCART like the SNES. You would need to hard-mod your N64, hunt down an SNES SCART cable, and either a SCART - HDMI converter, or an old RGB monitor of some kind (like from an arcade, or a hospital). 

I've never seen an N64 in RGB mode, but I do know that the SNES looks absolutely beautiful. Like better than VGA in low resolutions.

9 minutes ago, FullTank1337 said:

Extremely uncommon for the most part, also the N64 does not natively support RGB SCART like the SNES. You would need to hard-mod your N64, hunt down an SNES SCART cable, and either a SCART - HDMI converter, or an old RGB monitor of some kind (like from an arcade, or a hospital). 

I've never seen an N64 in RGB mode, but I do know that the SNES looks absolutely beautiful. Like better than VGA in low resolutions.

Can he not like.. Get an composite to scart converter thing (which you get with all consoles in the sixth and seventh gen where I live) and plug it into his TV? I wouldn't know, I don't have an N64 (my oldest consoles are the PS2 and GameCube).

Also, now that I think of it.. N64 coaxial cables exist. I got one once when I bought a GameCube at a thrift store. Maybe that works

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

12 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Can he not like.. Get an composite to scart converter thing (which you get with all consoles in the sixth and seventh gen where I live) and plug it into his TV? I wouldn't know, I don't have an N64 (my oldest consoles are the PS2 and GameCube).

Also, now that I think of it.. N64 coaxial cables exist. I got one once when I bought a GameCube at a thrift store. Maybe that works

I don't think so.

IDK where OP lives, but where I come from, RGB SCART was pretty much only ever used in arcade machines in the 80s and 90s. Other than that, hospital heart monitors are the only other semi-common device that even does RGB, and they use a non-standard plug that looks like component (but is not component), so you have to make your own adapter. A SCART adapter for 5th/6th/7th gen consoles might exist...? But it seems like it would have been pretty pointless since <1% of CRT TVs here support SCART. 

Also, yes, N64 does do coaxial... eww...

9 hours ago, Minibois said:

AFAIK only like the really early Nintendo 64s support RGB SCART and that's really only from modding.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

AFAIK only like the really early Nintendo 64s support RGB SCART and that's really only from modding.

Actually, that was true until just about a year ago. I don't know much about it, but there's a new chip out there you can buy to enable RGB video on a later N64 like the funtastic ones. Pretty sure that mod is a lot harder tho. (never actually done it)

What's a n64 gonna look like on a HD tv?