Is it safe to share debit card with Steam Support?

So I'm trying to update my phone for my Steam account so I can use the mobile authentication system but Steam needs to send a text to your old number confirming it's you so you can change it to your new number. I don't have my old phone number so I contacted Steam support and they requested that I send them a picture of a CD key that I've purchased either from a physical box or a CD from an email...

I have neither of these because the only game that I've bought directly through Steam was Grand Theft Auto V and I only got a confirmation of purchase email, not proof of ownership of a CD key..All other games I've bought through G2A.

Essentially, I don't have sufficient proof for them to be convinced I own the account. I've already told them the old phone number, my address, last four digits of my debit card and they said I need to attach a CD key as proof own ownership.

Maybe I could send a picture of  my debit card, support ticket number alongside a printed receipt for GTA V? Should I cover up some of the numbers on the card?

Cheers!

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

do not send your debit card,

when you buy games on G2A they give you a product key, send that to steam support.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Please don't do it. Don't send the CD key either. It's clearly a hoax.

7 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

I don't think that would be a good idea.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

No. If you have no CD key you won't get anything. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Did you use paypal for any of the transactions? I was ordered to give the same details when my steam account got hacked so I locked it...gave them 3 screenshots of paypal invoices (one in emails, one in paypal's website and one screenshot of the first game I purchased on that steam account with paypal and they said it was enough evidence :P but this was like 1 year ago and they've tightened up security even more...(p.s. some times I really do find Steam's email scammy...)

edit: forgot to mention that anything personal or not needed for steam support was blurred out or was covered up with a white box...with the use of the no other MS paint :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Send the cd keys you got from g2a, if they already are activated on steam, there's no risk.

But please, DON'T EVER share credit/debit cards informations over the internet !

Gaming rig : i5 6600k | EVGA 1070 FTW | 16Go DDR4 HyperX Fury | Intel 600p - WD Black

Laptop : Macbook 2017

Home server : AMD A10 7700k | 2*2TB unraid array + 250GB ssd cache

23 hours ago, Naeaes said:

Please don't do it. Don't send the CD key either. It's clearly a hoax.

Actually, Steam Support do ask for CD Keys when trying to recover accounts. Have a search there's quite a few people that have had loads of trouble with hi-jacked accounts trying to get them back, the main problem is people bought HL2 retail and later on in life threw the box away thinking they wouldn't need it. Causing quite a headache for account recovery.

and we will live such tragedy in perpetuity.

If its the legit Steam SUpport asking you for a CD key,then thats normal,if you search on their official page they say its one of the ways to verify that you are indeed teh owner of the account.If they asked you abouyt debit.credit card numbers,DONT GIVE ANYTHING.Steam has made it clear they wont ever ask for any credit/debit card credentials.

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W