Are we likely to see any big CPU jumps in the near future?

Currently rocking an Ivy Bridge i5. I however have been doing a lot of encoding work of late, particularly with h265 and the encoding times have been a bit too long for me, even with medium quality 1080P video you're looking at roughly 3x the video length in cross encoding. I've considered upgrading to a 6700K as I know the extra performance would drastically reduce the time, but are we likely to see any Skylake 6 core processors in the near future? It just seems quad core on the top end i7 isn't brilliant for processes that can utilize more. 

In IPC, no. In the enthusiast X99 platform we are going to see processors with more cores, though. The 6800k looks quite promising. Seeing as you are on ivy bridge, you'd have to upgrade your motherboard regardless. Would consider looking into socket 2011-3.

I mean a $5000 22 core intel CPU is coming out soon.
I don't see them adding a 6 core to the line of skylakes. But who knows.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

3 minutes ago, gonvres said:

Currently rocking an Ivy Bridge i5. I however have been doing a lot of encoding work of late, particularly with h265 and the encoding times have been a bit too long for me, even with medium quality 1080P video you're looking at roughly 3x the video length in cross encoding. I've considered upgrading to a 6700K as I know the extra performance would drastically reduce the time, but are we likely to see any Skylake 6 core processors in the near future? It just seems quad core on the top end i7 isn't brilliant for processes that can utilize more. 

Haswell-E. Going from a 4790K to a 5820K was a 50% increase.

There will be broadwell E shortly with 6-10 core chips.

I have a 3770K in my work pc, and it is not even close to a 5820K.

Skylake E is along way off. Maybe another 12 months we dont know.

maaaaybe we'll see 6c12t on kabylake, just maaaybe

just get x99 if you want moar coars

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

If Zen is all it is cracked up to be, we might see a 6c on Kaby...

If we do, I might then finally upgrade...  if not, I'm waiting until at least Cannonlake.

7 minutes ago, ValkyrieStar said:

Haswell-E. Going from a 4790K to a 5820K was a 50% increase.

There will be broadwell E shortly with 6-10 core chips.

I have a 3770K in my work pc, and it is not even close to a 5820K.

Skylake E is along way off. Maybe another 12 months we dont know.

A 5820K would be faster than a 4790K on multi core workloads, right? Their price seems very competitive even. 

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Ive read reports that Kaby is going to be a refreshed set of chips, minimal IPC improvements.

Also read other reports that there might be Cannonlake chips with more than 4 cores.

Time will tell. 

Currently X99 and 6/8 cores is the best you can buy for rendering. Lots of ram can be helpful for other things too.

9 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

Yeah that seems a bit excessive for home user. Its a shame they're not doing 6 core skylakes. What exactly is the huge benefit of the i7 over the i5 in that instance? They're both quad cores. I always assumed the i7 cpus primarily had more cores.

2 minutes ago, gonvres said:

Yeah that seems a bit excessive for home user. Its a shame they're not doing 6 core skylakes. What exactly is the huge benefit of the i7 over the i5 in that instance? They're both quad cores. I always assumed the i7 cpus primarily had more cores.

the i7 have hyperthreading, which will use the cores more effectively :D

about 1.3~1.5x the performance most of the times

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

commercially, there is no need in a more core SKU in the non-enthusiast platforms. even if zen bolts 8-12 cores, intel won't move to that (since history showed us otherwise).

strong IPC is well enough for most if not all work loads. only until you get into professional workstation workloads with their answer of xeon. wishing is well enough, but for profitability the consumers are already screaming "whoa! how much higher price do you have to go?" for 4core CPUs.

12 minutes ago, gonvres said:

X99 and a 6 or 8 core CPU might be worth your time...

Broadwell-E is coming out this summer, you might consider that...

6 minutes ago, airdeano said:

commercially, there is no need in a more core SKU in the non-enthusiast platforms. even if zen bolts 8-12 cores, intel won't move to that (since history showed us otherwise).

strong IPC is well enough for most if not all work loads. only until you get into professional workstation workloads with their answer of xeon. wishing is well enough, but for profitability the consumers are already screaming "whoa! how much higher price do you have to go?" for 4core CPUs.

It is true. I must admit, even with gaming I've never had any issue with an ivy bridge i5 until I got into video encoding. But having to wait for hours for medium length clips to cross encode to workable file sizes really is a pest. If you could cut the time in half it would save insane amounts of time, which is a shame why theyre not going 6 core.

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

ahh yes hyperthreading. So 'effective' 8 cores on the quad core CPUs. Thats actually a very decent benefit. Maybe a 6600K with a good high end air cooler and mild overclock will be perfect. They're not even that expensive considering the drastic productivity benefits.

1 minute ago, gonvres said:

It is true. I must admit, even with gaming I've never had any issue with an ivy bridge i5 until I got into video encoding. But having to wait for hours for medium length clips to cross encode to workable file sizes really is a pest. If you could cut the time in half it would save insane amounts of time, which is a shame why theyre not going 6 core.

Have you considered simply buying a second computer to do your encodes?  That way your main computer isn't busy.

Years ago, I "upgraded" from an i7-920 to a i5-2500k, not because I needed the speed, but because I needed a render machine, and the i7-920 became my render computer.

Today I have a i7-6700k doing my render work while my i7-4770k remains in my personal computer, not to be upgraded for years! :)

The i7-6700k replaced that i7-920, talk about an upgrade!

2 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

Have you considered simply buying a second computer to do your encodes?  That way your main computer isn't busy.

Years ago, I "upgraded" from an i7-920 to a i5-2500k, not because I needed the speed, but because I needed a render machine, and the i7-920 became my render computer.

Today I have a i7-6700k doing my render work while my i7-4770k remains in my personal computer, not to be upgraded for years! :)

The i7-6700k replaced that i7-920, talk about an upgrade!

That is a good idea. I'm sure I will find a use for the 3450 anyway, you can seemingly never have too many computers. I already have a secondary Macbook Pro workstation but I get impatient. You feel very boxed in for doing multi window workloads on a 13 inch monitor. xD

24 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i bet people would like real cores than virtual more

like 6c/6t for same cash no iGPU

but then again Zen is coming and we might get that + HT

isn't that the reason we have HEDT and Xeons?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

If you really want to go overkill you could wait and go for the new MBs from ASUS "ROG STRIX X99 Gaming, X99-Deluxe II, X99 A-II and X99 E" and the new Broadwell-E Core i7-6950X 10 cores with 20 threads... 

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV • i7-6700K • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo • Asus Maximus viii Ranger • 16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz • 2x EVGA GTX1070 • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB + 860 QVO 1TB + 4TB HDD • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80 PLUS Platinum • 1x ASUS MG279Q 1x Samsung S27A350H 1x Samsung S27B750V • Xtrfy XG-K2-RGB • Logitech G502

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX • i5-4460 • Stock Cooler • Asus H81I-PLUS • 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600MHz • Sapphire 290 TRI-X "OC" • A400 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD • Corsair CX650M

Main Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 • ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE • Ryzen 9 3900X • 32GB DDR4 • 4TB Parity • 20TB Array total • 2x 240GB SSD Cache

Nas Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Silverstone DS380 • Asrock Q2900-ITX • Pentium J2900 • 4GB DDR3 • 3TB Parity • 5.5TB Array total

2 hours ago, DioOmicida said:

Linus did a video a few days ago...... they are AMAZING

Also Kaby Lake is basically an 'optimisation' or 'revision' of Skylake - no new architecture, no new process node like tick-tock