r9 390 vs 1070

Alexzz_

Im building my system at the end fo this summer around august. Thequestion is, should i buy a extremeley low priced r9 390 and upgrade to the 1070 a few years later or try to get my hands on a 1070 from the beginning? Which will be difficult from where i live. Also i will the custom cards be out by then? Because i heard the founders edition aka reference design will be more expensive. (Watch jayztwocents his video gives explaination about this) 

Depends on whether you can wait or not.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Wait for benchmarks of both Polaris & Pascal graphics cards, then let your wallet decide.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

A few years to upgrade? At that point we'll probably be on the gtx 1370 which will destroy the titan X. Get a 1070 now as they're starting in the high $300's. Or, get a used GTX 970 from all the hoes selling their cards to get the best of the best 1070.

ASU

1 minute ago, Fulgrim said:

Wait for benchmarks of both Polaris & Pascal graphics cards, then let your wallet decide.

Do we know when polaris is coming out yet? Ir is amd not saying anything like nvidia?

Just now, Alexzz_ said:

Do we know when polaris is coming out yet? Ir is amd not saying anything like nvidia?

At the end of this month, AMD will be doing a showcase of their new cards. As for when they hit the shelves, all i can say is "shortly after". 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

If the nvidia hype is to be believe it beats their previous top of the line, if you can wait a month I'd do so just to see if it's as good as claimed, either way I doubt it will be worse than a 390 since nvidia wants to beat amd this time

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

390 has been extremely low priced for a while (aka R9 290 rebrand), however, from the looks of it, 1070 is in a different performance league. It depends on your needs

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

4 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

If the nvidia hype is to be believe it beats their previous top of the line, if you can wait a month I'd do so just to see if it's as good as claimed, either way I doubt it will be worse than a 390 since nvidia wants to beat amd this time

No way it won't beat the 390 really

Don't throw your money away on a 390.

Wait until about fall of this year.  By then we should see how well the 1070 performs and the 490, rebrand of 390 and of 290 should be on the horizon.

The 1070 has Titan X performance and has asynchronous compute for 370us. It obliterates a 390. The founders edition is just the re naming of reference by Nvidia. That said Polaris 10 which will be in the 490x (not a rebrand) matches 390x performance at 800mhz and costs 300us. Will the Polaris 10 chip overclock to 2.2GHz like Pascal? If so the 490x will out perform the 1070 for less money. If is doesn't, RIP AMD.

You'd be foolish to buy anything until we know what's up with Polaris 10.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

15 minutes ago, Malaki Titi said:

Wait until about fall of this year.  By then we should see how well the 1070 performs and the 490, rebrand of 390 and of 290 should be on the horizon.

What the fuck are you talking about? @Alexzz_ignore this buffoon.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

The 1070 has Titan X performance and has asynchronous compute for 370us. It obliterates a 390. The founders edition is just the re naming of reference by Nvidia. That said Polaris 10 which will be in the 490x (not a rebrand) matches 390x performance at 800mhz and costs 300us. Will the Polaris 10 chip overclock to 2.2GHz like Pascal? If so the 490x will out perform the 1070 for less money. If is doesn't, RIP AMD.

You'd be foolish to buy anything until we know what's up with Polaris 10.

What he said.

Async compute has been the only leg up AMD has over Nvidia.  Now that the 1070 will be fully capable, there really is no reason to go team red.

Just now, Malaki Titi said:

What he said.

Async compute has been the only leg up AMD has over Nvidia.  Now that the 1070 will be fully capable, there really is no reason to go team red.

WCCF covered the 1080 having async using Ashes of the Singularity, but they have been wrong in the past. The NDA on the reviewers *should* end on the 17th, then we'll know for sure. Also, the performance of the 1080 and 1070 is in VR. Not games. So again we need the numbers from the reviewers to know what's up.

With the Founders edition being the new name for a reference card and the only Pascal card offered by Nvidia, it could be weeks before the partners have the cheaper examples.

4 minutes ago, Malaki Titi said:

What he said.

Provide a source that says they're fully capable.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

46 minutes ago, App4that said:

It's all good.

These 2 quotes from 2 other users from a thread earlier today put it really well:

If these benchmarks are accurate and not lagging behind because proper drivers aren't out yet, then it means Pascal is just brute forcing its way through asynchronous instead of having the Nvidia equivalent of ACEs (asynchronous compute engines). This quote from the article you linked says why:

This new hardware scheduler will play a crucial role in allowing Pascal GPUs to perform better at executing tasks asynchronously, even though it still evidently relies on pre-emption and context switching according to what Nvidia has revealed in its Pascal whitepaper.

So while this scheduler doesn’t actually allow tasks to be executed asynchronously it will still improve the performance of Pascal GPUs when it comes to executing code that’s written asynchronously. It’s sort of a hack to hold Pascal off until proper async compute is implemented in Nvidia’s future architectures.

This is sad to me because I legitimately thought Nvidia was lowballing with Maxwell and would pull out the big guns with Pascal. Instead we have to wait for Volta. Pascal will have better performance in async compute than Maxwell because it has better DP performance but the fact that it still relies on pre-emption and context switching means it's still nowhere as refined as what GCN does. A 1080 is much faster than anything available now in dx 11, but barely inches ahead of 28nm GPUs in dx 12. At this pace, AMD's $300 Polaris cards will be close to or match a 1080 in async compute.

Edited by ivan134

Definitely wait, if the 1070 is as powerful as they say it is, its not even a competition

Wait for early next month, you will see the first reviews on the new pascal cards and at same time know whats the deal with the AMD Polaris cards, which looks like they want to be seen as a great deal = good price . We will see about that...

2 hours ago, Malaki Titi said:

*successor the 390 is a rebrand of the 290. They won't rebrand the 290 again since its a hot and aging card

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

It's all good.

These 2 quotes from 2 other users from a thread earlier today put it really well:

If these benchmarks are accurate and not lagging behind because proper drivers aren't out yet, then it means Pascal is just brute forcing its way through asynchronous instead of having the Nvidia equivalent of ACEs (asynchronous compute engines). This quote from the article you linked says why:

This is sad to me because I legitimately thought Nvidia was lowballing with Maxwell and would pull out the big guns with Pascal. Instead we have to wait for Volta. Pascal will have better performance in async compute than Maxwell because it has better DP performance but the fact that it still relies on pre-emption and context switching means it's still nowhere as refined as what GCN does. A 1080 is much faster than anything available now in dx 11, but barely inches ahead of 28nm GPUs in dx 12. At this pace, AMD's $300 Polaris cards will be close to or match a 1080 in async compute.

I agree, Nvidia claims asynchronous support but I'm not seeing it. And all the fuss is over VR, which who uses VR LOL? I can tell they're not as confident as they say they are (Nvidia) because they locked Maxwell out of the new features they unveiled at the same time. Dick move if you ask me. I actually would have used the game photography if given the chance, but nope. Poor showing by Nvidia IMO.

2 hours ago, App4that said:

YOURE ALIVEEEEEE!!!!!! Nice to see you back here bro. Hope you're in good health and ready for tons more quality gpu debates ;)

3 minutes ago, afyeung said:

YOURE ALIVEEEEEE!!!!!! Nice to see you back here bro. Hope you're in good health and ready for tons more quality gpu debates ;)

Yep, much better place. Hope to be a kinder, gentler App.

Oh, and I'm getting my hands on some money to buy the cheapest 980ti I can find, so PLEEEAASE scare the hell out of a few 980ti owners for me LOL. Getting ready to go 1440 and wouldn't mind the extra HP.  

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yep, much better place. Hope to be a kinder, gentler App.

Oh, and I'm getting my hands on some money to but the cheapest 980ti I can find, so PLEEEAASE scare the hell out of a few 980ti owners for me LOL. Getting ready to go 1440 and wouldn't mind the extra HP.  

what happened to the hybrid? o.O