When I hear 980ti owners say....

VeeTeePee

This is pretty much a rant, so if you don't want to hear it, dont read it <3. All I've heard from 980ti owners recently is, "Omfg. I JUST bought my 980ti *insert time frame here* ago! NOW they announce the 1080 and it has 2X THE PERFORMANCE AND 3X EFFICIENCY OF A TITAN X! FOR ONLY 600$! Welp. F*ck me." So the attached image is what Nvidia showed at the 1080 unveiling. I'll admit, at first I didnt see it either, but after looking at it a second time, I see now that the y-axis is labeled, "Relative VR Gaming Performance". I might be the only one who didn't see it at first but I got pretty mad after seeing it. Mainly because Jen-Hsun Huang, the guy doing the unveiling, never ONCE, unless I wasn't paying attention and missed it, mentioned anything about the "2x Performance and 3x Efficiency Vs Titan X" being for the VR aspect of performance. When I saw twitter blowing up with "OMFG! GTX 1080 2X FASTER THAN TITAN X FOR ONLY 600 DOLLARS!", there were definitely people who were posting that without knowing that those numbers only applied to the VR aspect of gaming. Sorry if I'm not making any sense (Im writing this very late at night and might read it in the morning only to see how stupid it is.) but I'm pretty sure THIS is what is throwing most people off. ESPECIALLY those who own a 980ti. The 980ti should be able to match or even outperform a 1080, but when those 980ti owners hear, "2x Performance and 3x Efficiency vs. Titan X" they shrivel in fear and they feel regret for buying their 980ti. ATTENTION ALL 980ti OWNERS: YOUR GTX 980 TI IS A GODLY CARD. BE PROUD OF IT. IT WILL NOT BE SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE THAN THE 1080 LIKE YOU MAY FEEL. IF THE "2X PERFORMANCE AND 3X EFFICIENCY" THING IS THE REASON WHY YOU REGRET BUYING YOUR 980TI, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT SELLING IT. UNLESS YOU PLAY A SHIT TON OF VR, THAN MAYBE IT IS WORTH A THOUGHT. BUT IF YOU DON'T, WHICH MOST PEOPLE PROBABLY DONT, THAN YOUR 980TI IS STILL A GOD CARD, EVEN AFTER THE 1080 RELEASES. This probably ends my rant..... (Probably will delete this post if I read it in the morning and see how stupid this post really was.)

VR.PNG

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

So lets wait until third party independent benchmarks, shall we?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I noticed that he never specified the kind of performance he was talking about, seemed kind of misleading/false advertisement. He can get away with it though because the barely readable text saying "VR." Also looking at the product page basically shows that the 1080 isn't a huge leap in performance in regular gaming.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

if you watch the stream, there are two separate graphs

one for normal performance, one for Vr performance (if im not mistaken)

but those who whines before looking at actual benchmarks are (insert words here)

edit: and the moment he shown this graph was after he was talking bout the "less things to process" part of the pascal cards, so i understood it without misunderstanding

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

We've known Pascal is coming for a long time... anyone who is upset that they bought a top tier card when the next generation gets unveiled didn't take 5 minutes to do basic research and be informed about their decisions. I got my 980 Ti 6 months ago, was considering waiting for Pascal but ended up biting the bullet. I'm fine with it, the GTX 980 Ti will still last me a long ass time.

There is always a better product around the corner.

Technology advances... What is new? Everything changes quickly... Not Nvidia fault.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

But FOLKS! Look at that GRAPH!

The 1080 has a 7.5 VR performance!!! 7.5!! My 980Ti is probably only like 3.75!!!! 3.875 on OC!! I'VE WASTED MY LIFE. WHAT ARE THESE UNITS. WHO MADE THIS GRAPH.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if you watch the stream, there are two separate graphs

one for normal performance, one for Vr performance (if im not mistaken)

but those who whines before looking at actual benchmarks are (insert words here)

edit: and the moment he shown this graph was after he was talking bout the "less things to process" part of the pascal cards, so i understood it without misunderstanding

Sorry. I haven't watched the whole stream yet. Just saw a recap segment on youtube and the first thing it showed was the VR graph I guess. Do you know when in the stream the graph for the regular performance is?

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

Good job at taking that graph out of context

They showed TWO of those graphs

One when they were talking regular about games, and one when they were talking about VR

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Good job at taking that graph out of context

They showed TWO of those graphs

One when they were talking regular about games, and one when they were talking about VR

I haven't watched the whole thing. Sorry. But when in the stream does it show the regular graph?

LIKE MENTIONED IN POST. IT IS VERY LATE AT NIGHT AND THIS POST MAY BE DELTED IN THE MORNING IF I RE-READ IT IN THE MORNING AND FIND IT STUPID OF ME BY POSTING IT.

2 minutes ago, VeeTeePee said:

I haven't watched the whole thing. Sorry. But when in the stream does it show the regular graph?

it was somewhere in the middle, idk

this is the graph about regular gaming performance

DKuRkLF.png

30% better than titan X

"better" than 980 SLI (probably barely)

makes sense, since 980sli is quite a bit better than a titan X

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it was somewhere in the middle, idk

this is the graph about regular gaming performance

Does he ever mention what those units are? Just curious

Does he ever mention what those units are? Just curious

this is relative gaming performance (avg fps)

relativity graphs dont have units on the y scale because when you divide a unit by itself it becomes unitless

the x scale is TDP

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, VinsinityKT said:

Technology advances... What is new? Everything changes quickly... Not Nvidia fault.

This was a more drastic change than usual, though. 

I've had my Titan for a year, been really happy with it but if it's worth it I'll get two 1070's and keep my Titan since it won't be really worth it to sell it.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

this is relative gaming performance (avg fps)

relativity graphs dont have units on the y scale because when you divide a unit by itself it becomes unitless

the x scale is TDP

Ahhh. Makes sense. I don't know. Something triggered me after I went through twitter, saw all the 980ti owners complaining about how shit their card was, then went to youtube to watch the 1080 unveiling and the VR graph was the first thing I saw. But the amount of people on twitter referring to the "2x Faster and 3x Efficiency vs Titan X" is significant. I think its people like me who missed that it's for VR and not regular performance. But yet again, idk. It's late at night for me and I guess I'm just starting to get annoyed about the people calling their 980ti shit.

Ahhh. Makes sense. I don't know. Something triggered me after I went through twitter, saw all the 980ti owners complaining about how shit their card was, then went to youtube to watch the 1080 unveiling and the VR graph was the first thing I saw. But the amount of people on twitter referring to the "2x Faster and 3x Efficiency vs Titan X" is significant. I think its people like me who missed that it's for VR and not regular performance. But yet again, idk. It's late at night for me and I guess I'm just starting to get annoyed about the people calling their 980ti shit.

yeah thats the big problem, people hear what they want to hear or just are misinformed

still, cant blame that on nvidia, they did a good job of telling everyone 10 times that it was "30% better than titan X"

Spoiler

yeah thats the big problem, people hear what they want to hear or just are misinformed

still, cant blame that on nvidia, they did a good job of telling everyone 10 times that it was "30% better than titan X"

Gonna go watch the whole stream now (Only got through 40 seconds of the stream so far which was the part where they showed the VR graph). Thanks anyways for clearing it up. Now I can watch the stream without being annoyed at Nvidia :):):)

even if it does outperform it i would still wait for asus/msi to release theirs :P  

That's the boat I was, well kinda still am. I was "Like wtf! I bought this strix for $679 almost two months ago and was told the 1080 won't be that big until the new Ti series! F*** my card" then I see everyone on hardwareswap starts selling their GPUs and found a strix 980 TI for 425! Crazy! So now I'm over here trying to go SLI untill I realize... That graph is primarily about VR... And then I'm like isn't the 980to slightly better than the TItan ? But the normal graph does show improvement but not enough for me to sell and lose money and remember guys everyone is going to want their hands on the X80 so people might not even get it at first stock.

43 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Well, 6-8 months ago, the word on the street was 10x performance, now it's 2x... so, progress. They're getting closer to the real number ;)

the real number is probably close to 25% more than a 980 ti running at 1500Mhz....same yearly increase Nvidia always brings to the table..

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

7 minutes ago, super_skank said:

the real number is probably close to 25% more than a 980 ti running at 1500Mhz....same yearly increase Nvidia always brings to the table..

If a 1080 is as good as both my 780 Ti's put together, it's good enough for me. Can't wait to get a 1080 Ti or two ;)

I'm actually not buying anything until they get rid of SLI bridges though.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

If a 1080 is as good as both my 780 Ti's put together, it's good enough for me. Can't wait to get a 1080 Ti or two ;)

I'm actually not buying anything until they get rid of SLI bridges though.

AMD doesn't have bridges.........come over to the dark side...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----