Require Advice for CPU cooling

Hey,

I am currently rebuilding my PC (also the first time I'm building a PC myself). As a new CPU, I got the i7-6700k.

My worry is mainly about the cooling of the processor. I was planning on using the old stock CPU cooler I had on my old build. Contrary to what most people say, mine is actually relatively quiet. I don't plan to do any overclocking on my new CPU any time soon either (if I ever do, I'll be sure to buy some sturdier cooling). I have done some research and found that the stock cooler is supposed to keep the CPU at temperatures up to 95°C. The i7-6700k can supposedly get, at maximum, as warm as 93°C. Looking at simply the numbers it seems that it's an allright fit, but it certainly isn't a big margin for error.

My question is therefore going out to you guys, the veteran PC-builders and tech experts, should I suck it in and spend some more cash on a new/better aftermarket air-cooler, or will the stock cooler not pose any threat to my new CPU and rig in general?

Thanks in advance,

Harold

1 minute ago, Harold Jacques said:

Hey,

I am currently rebuilding my PC (also the first time I'm building a PC myself). As a new CPU, I got the i7-6700k.

My worry is mainly about the cooling of the processor. I was planning on using the old stock CPU cooler I had on my old build. Contrary to what most people say, mine is actually relatively quiet. I don't plan to do any overclocking on my new CPU any time soon either (if I ever do, I'll be sure to buy some sturdier cooling). I have done some research and found that the stock cooler is supposed to keep the CPU at temperatures up to 95°C. The i7-6700k can supposedly get, at maximum, as warm as 93°C. Looking at simply the numbers it seems that it's an allright fit, but it certainly isn't a big margin for error.

My question is therefore going out to you guys, the veteran PC-builders and tech experts, should I suck it in and spend some more cash on a new/better aftermarket air-cooler, or will the stock cooler not pose any threat to my new CPU and rig in general?

Thanks in advance,

Harold

If your keeping it at stock speeds, it should theoretically be fine. If your worried about it, just spend $25 for a 212 evo.

Hyper 212 Evo all day, every day, every orifice. 

The price/performance ratio is real, its god damn real. 

yeah, definitely get a better cooler, no sense in exposing your $340 chip to dangerous temps. The 212 will do for stock clocks all day every day and it's cheap so if you have the room for it it's a good choice

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Which stock cooler we are talking about? 95C or even 93C is really high temp and nothing you should ever see on latest gen CPUs. Like newest Skylake CPUs will stay at 75C with stock cooling under normal gaming loads. If you are going to do harder stuff like 3D rendering or video editing, go for aftermarket cooler. Stock hasn't been enough for i7 CPUs for past few gens.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Not doing anything but normal gaming. No video-editing or anything of that kind. Eventually I do plan on buying VR headset and a 2nd GPU in SLI on possibly a 4k monitor, but by then I will surely have bought a new PSU and aftermarket cooler to be safe.

My stock cooler is the E97378-001

PS: I'm thinking I might have been mistaking the temperatures in my original posts with the TDP values.. not sure don't remember for certain

5 hours ago, Harold Jacques said:

Not doing anything but normal gaming. No video-editing or anything of that kind. Eventually I do plan on buying VR headset and a 2nd GPU in SLI on possibly a 4k monitor, but by then I will surely have bought a new PSU and aftermarket cooler to be safe.

My stock cooler is the E97378-001

PS: I'm thinking I might have been mistaking the temperatures in my original posts with the TDP values.. not sure don't remember for certain

That stock will do for now. But since you aim for higher loads, I really recommend going for real cooler as soon as you can get good value one. And I think you were talking about TDP values. That cooler should keep i7 under 75C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv