Best quiet 140mm case fan x4

trzasku

I am building a near silent PC running an Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler. I want to fill the 3 front and the rear slot of my Define S case with some good quiet fans to achieve some strong positive pressure to avoid dust. I want to run all those fans at about 30% to keep the PC as silent as possible. I am not looking for the most quiet fans out there (it is easy to have a silent fan that does not move air), but for those which noise/performance ratio is the best.

At the moment I have the two GP-14 fans that came with the case, they are pretty quiet at 33%. My question is: 

• Will there be a audible difference if I change this two GP-14 for something high-end or should I just buy 2 more of them to fit the design (I do not like to have different fans on the front) ?

I think the best noise/performance 140mm fans are (price in my country):

• Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 $11
  • Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 $16
  • Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 $23
  • Noctua NF-A14 $24

But I am not sure which of them should I choose. I do not want to overpay for something that is only a slightly better than my GP-14 case fans. What would you buy in my situation?

I was looking for some up to date fan comparison but almost every chart is different. Can you recommend me a good chart with the most popular quiet fans?

Noctua is the best of all of those, as for a chart, I'm not sure. You may be able to find a biased one on the company web page for one of those.

ASU

You don't have the Fractal-Design Venturi HP-14 in your country?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I agree with the noctua suggestion, very very good fans, shift a lot of air and are so quiet :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

And what whould you choose on second and third place? (I also care about looks and good case fit).

22 minutes ago, Aytex said:

None of thoes

Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK 140mm

Phanteks PH-F140HP is better that the XP by a lot (although it is more suited to heatsinks than case fans with it's odd shape)

But uhh

Noise (at top speed)

Silent Wings 2>GP-14>Pure Wings 2> Noctua NF-A14 (yes you heard that right at top speed the Noctua is the loudest on this chart).

Performance (at top speed)

Noctua NF-A14>GP-14>Silent Wings 2>Pure Wings 2

Performance (at similar noise levels)

NF-A14=GP-14>Silent Wings 2>Pure Wings 2

For the price the GP-14 fans are fantastic (although they are lower consistency and quality than the noctua's).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, trzasku said:

And what whould you choose on second and third place? (I also care about looks and good case fit).

Oh and the GP-14's are available in black...

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Phanteks PH-F140HP is better that the XP by a lot (although it is more suited to heatsinks than case fans with it's odd shape)

But uhh

Noise (at top speed)

Silent Wings 2>GP-14>Pure Wings 2> Noctua NF-A14 (yes you heard that right at top speed the Noctua is the loudest on this chart).

Performance (at top speed)

Noctua NF-A14>GP-14>Silent Wings 2>Pure Wings 2

Performance (at similar noise levels)

NF-A14=GP-14>Silent Wings 2>Pure Wings 2

For the price the GP-14 fans are fantastic (although they are lower consistency and quality than the noctua's).

still cheaper than noctua :^)

@Curufinwe_wins do you have some charts, how do you know all of this? If the GP-14 fans are really that great that is fantastic because I only have to buy 2 more instead of 4 other fans (I want all the same fans).

7 minutes ago, Aytex said:

still cheaper than noctua :^)

Yerp.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709043

Although the first gen ones sell for like 60 bucks on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ2KE7057

6 minutes ago, trzasku said:

@Curufinwe_wins do you have some charts, how do you know all of this?

1. Old review on scpr: covers some of the fans you listed (note never at near top volume) http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1345-page7.html

2. Top end noise is easily located and decently accurate (GP-14 is ~18 dbA, SW-2 ~16 dbA, PW-2 ~19 dbA, A14 ~24.6 dbA.)

3. Pure Wings are just always inferior to Silent Wings (lower end fans)

4. Experience around the forum (and personally with most of these fans) helped place the GP-14 in the stack (there is a group of very die hard lovers of it out here.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

We are talking about the GP-14 from Fractal Design right?

4 minutes ago, trzasku said:

We are talking about the GP-14 from Fractal Design right?

Yep

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

If you can afford it, go with SW2's. It doesn't really get better for 140mm case fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.