Model 3 Scheduled Arrival Date is Impossible

79wjd

Source: http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/elon-musk-says-production-deadline-for-model-3-impossible/

I don't think anyone is surprised by this news, but due to supply issues it no longer looks like the Model 3's estimated delivery date will become a reality.

After setting a production deadline for the new, affordable Model 3 of July 1, 2017, during the company's earnings call today, Tesla CEO Elon Musk admitted that supply issues would make that date impossible. Likening the production date to a term paper deadline, Musk said it was important to set the date, but the company was highly unlikely to develop the supply chain for Model 3 parts in time.

But at least it looks like Musk really wants to make sure the heavily delayed Model X launch doesn't happen to the Model 3. 

If any of its suppliers failed to meet expectations, Musk said that Tesla would begin fabricating the parts itself at its Fremont factory.

With over 300,000 pre-orders in the first week it's probably pretty safe to say that some won't receive their Model 3 until 2019 (or 2020 if more delays occur).

Estimating initial production at 100,00 to 200,000 for the Model 3 in 2017, Musk said that Tesla would be producing 500,000 cars a year in 2018.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I like that they are setting a deadline even though they know they won't make it. Setting a deadline will push them to work as hard as they can.

But on the other hand, I'm glad that they will push back the deadline if they don't reach it - because better that they take the time necessary (While still pushing themselves), without simply releasing a product that isn't ready.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Given how far several conventional car manufactures have got with electric vehicles, can Tesla really afford much of a delay? Affordable electric cars are already here (at least in Europe, not sure about other markets) from manufactures that already have wide dealer networks, can Tesla catch up?

6 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Given how far several conventional car manufactures have got with electric vehicles, can Tesla really afford much of a delay? Affordable electric cars are already here (at least in Europe, not sure about other markets) from manufactures that already have wide dealer networks, can Tesla catch up?

tesla has a sort of apple esque following I believe most of them will wait. Also i have yet to see a an affordable fully electric car to have  reasonably high quality batteries and motors.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

tesla has a sort of apple esque following I believe most of them will wait. Also i have yet to see a an affordable fully electric car to have  reasonably high quality batteries and motors.

The Nissan Leaf and it's cousin the Renault Zoe (not sure the Zoe is available outside Europe though) are proving reliable. Yes they are smaller with lower range than the Model 3, but the tech is actively being pursued by many manufactures and if Tesla are slow to market they may find themselves beaten to it. BMW for example have already dipped their toe in the premium electric market.

#WEDONOTPREORDER

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Getting told the delivery could be several months sounds fine for a car pre-order. 

But being so close to the estimated date and then being told "sorry, u get it in 3 years", I would flip ! It is insane amount of time.

It must be devastating for Elon to see such demand and not being able to provide enough cars for it on time :(

I'm sure some people gonna sell their cars instantly (if they have a buyer) with profit of 50% or more. (Is it legal to sell it p2p ?)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

41 minutes ago, Thony said:

Getting told the delivery could be several months sounds fine for a car pre-order. 

But being so close to the estimated date and then being told "sorry, u get it in 3 years", I would flip ! It is insane amount of time.

It must be devastating for Elon to see such demand and not being able to provide enough cars for it on time :(

I'm sure some people gonna sell their cars instantly (if they have a buyer) with profit of 50% or more. (Is it legal to sell it p2p ?)

What do you mean several months? The original date is over a year from now, and most people didn't expect to get theirs until 2018 anyway

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

What do you mean several months? The original date is over a year from now, and most people didn't expect to get theirs until 2018 anyway

I listened to Tested podcast a month ago and one of them pre-ordered ($1000 slot reservation) last year in December, so that counts as "several months". And one of them pre-ordered just recently.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

8 hours ago, Quibiss said:

Lets thank Tesla for introducing preordering to the automotive industry. Next step: DLCs, preorder boni and releasing unfinished products that keep selling like hot cakes because of strong marketing and empty promises.

Erm, Tesla didn't invent pre-ordering for cars.

That has been going on for literally decades - especially among limited run, high end cars.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)