Oppo N1

Lexzt

There has been a-lot of controversy recently with with CyanogenMod recently annocing that they are a company now, And that they have managed to find an OEM manufacturer. 

Also, As seen in this picture, https://twitter.com/oppo/status/382108619312857088/photo/1 ( The Man Himself! )

With OPPO posting on their Youtube videos, it seems likely that they are one of the OEM, and they are releasing a new phone now! ( 8.15pm ).

Live Stream: http://c.youku.com/n1 ( Do Take note, Might be laggy, And is in Chinese )

Key Features talked about so far.
- Their new OS, Color OS, ( Much like MIUI I feel personally )
- Rotatable 13MP Camera F2.0 Aperture ( 206 Degrees, So it is able to take front facing pictures, and the usual rear ones )
- Rear touch back. ( Not sure what it really does yet. Should be gestures )
- 5.9" Full HD Screen ( Amazing Bezzle, Super thin? )
- 16/32 GB
- O-Click Sensor, A remote control for the Camera
- 3610 mAh Battery
- NFC ( Hint hint. xD )

http://en.oppo.com/n1/

What do you guys think? 

I am worried about Cyanogenmod. They have apparently re-licensed Focal so it is no longer open source.

Citation from Guillaume Lesniak, the person who wrote Focal:

I got a Hangouts chat from Koush, saying that Focal would need to be relicensed because GPL isn’t ideal -- wait what, not ideal for an Open Source project?

“The issue is that we need to be able to relicense it”
“It’ll be open as GPL, but CM can do what they want with it.”

Yes, Cyanogen Inc. will need to do changes in CyanogenMod’s source code - because here’s another way they will finance the project: customization for their customers (e.g. carriers). This will imply the work done by the community will be sold to a third party by Cyanogen Inc, and that they have to do changes that they cannot put online publicly. A future conversation with Steve Kondik will reveal that they might need to put hardware-specific enhancement for some camera devices, and that has to be hacked in the Camera app code. Putting these changes inside Camera apps instead of Hardware Abstraction Layers (HAL) could break other apps, which ironically kind of go against the goal of CTS (because then, only the “official” camera app will have those enhancements). Of course, those hardware enhancements are trade secrets, so they cannot be published back to CyanogenMod’s public repositories...

So this is where I started to feel screwed. I didn’t think much further, but I felt like I had no other choice but comply with Cyanogen’s relicensing, and allow them to do whatever they want with my code, and sell it customized to their vendors. They used the Contributor License Agreement as an argument, saying that basically they could do anything with my code since I submitted it.

[...]

That’s where they started lying to the community, denying they had something to do with cyngn.com, denying there was a commercialization of CyanogenMod going on. When people said “Why would Focal get relicensed?” they would just say “No, it’s not relicensed. It will stay GPL.” - yes, that’s where “relicense” became “dual-license”, where the app would remain GPL publicly, but still allow Cyanogen Inc to do what they want with it. But they didn't mention that publicly.

Another huge issue is this:

At that time, they also started scrapping features from CyanogenMod. Device’s “Advanced settings” disappeared, without getting a proper replacement first. Some features aren't considered as useful enough, and didn’t make it into the new CMHW HAL. Even if users want something, they won’t get it if it’s not useful enough. Save to external SD disappeared as well from the AOSP Camera app, because it breaks Google’s CTS. Root access is planned to be COMPLETELY removed by default, and to be downloaded in a separate package. Users don’t use root anyway, they say. All of this because of a future CyanogenMod Phone, which has to pass CTS to get Google Apps officially. Want some exotic features? Too bad. You won’t get them if Google don’t. Wasn’t that the point of CyanogenMod originally? Derp.

Basically, the price for becoming a real company with hardware partners, they have to scrap a lot of features in Cyanogenmod, and make some parts of the ROM closed source (or remove them altogether like with Focal).

The person who wrote a big part of the launcher Trebuchet which Cyanogenmod uses haven't received any money, so a lot of contributors to Cyangenomod have already left, since they do work which Cyanogen Inc sells and gets money for. Cyanogenmod is slowly going from being awesome, to being yet another crappy, locked down Android skin preinstalled on devices.

specs look pretty decent, plus i love cyanogenmod, so all good in my books!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

Ugh why even bother.... theres no market for cheap phones. Phones are a fasion accesory, not a power device. Who looks at the specs when buying a phone honestly? Its either iphone, HTC one or galaxy s4.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

I..WANT..THAT...PHONE...

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

Don't like the camera thingy and the size. Other than that. Thumbs up.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

Ugh why even bother.... theres no market for cheap phones. Phones are a fasion accesory, not a power device. Who looks at the specs when buying a phone honestly? Its either iphone, HTC one or galaxy s4.

Cheap phones? Is this supposed to be a troll post? Oppo makes some of the best phones money can buy. And they constantly innovate which each new device they make. Don't forget that Oppo had a 1080p phone long before the One or S4 existed. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Don't know if trolling or...

The new nexus device better come good, because for me, its between that and this. And I'm loving this device already.  :D  Even though I know nothing about its cost.

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

The new nexus device better come good, because for me, its between that and this. And I'm loving this device already.  :D  Even though I know nothing about its cost.

Same here but I think I'd still take the Nexus if it has the rumoured S800 and best camera on an android phone like the G2. Plus it's a Nexus...

Don't know if trolling or...

The worst part is he's right, except for power users, almost every one wants an iPhone  or a GS4 most people won't even consider an HTC One...

I want to talk about the N1 Camera... This... Is... AWESOME.

+1 great way to save on production costs on a front camera by adding one hd camera that can be used both ways to replace a usually low MP front camera. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

+1 great way to save on production costs on a front camera by adding one hd camera that can be used both ways to replace a usually low MP front camera. :)

It doesn't look that good but the idea/concept is just awesome. I would love to see a cleaner take on it 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Oh, sorry I thought it was one of those chinese brands. I remember I bought a cheap china phone with amazing specs like dual sim and radio antenna and what not. I bought it and was thourougly disappointed. A phone is no good if it lacks polish and quality. Nobody wants a cheap imitation product. Also like I said, are specs really that important for a phone? I don't go up to friends and say "hey check out my new Oppo N1!".

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  •