CPU overheating or failing on me?

Okay..

So I upgraded my pentium G3258 (OC 4,2 Ghz) to an i5-4460. With the same stock cooler, the temps were at 76 under load for the pentium, but the i5 seems to put far more heat out than I expected. The temps are hitting 90 degrees celsius with prime95 running after 6 minutes. The TJ max is 73 degrees celsius, so it's overshooting a lot. But it doesn't shut down, nor does it crash.
I did a CMOS reset for the motherboard, so any old OC preset is deleted, i disabled intel turboboost, i've done everything so ensure it's not my motherboard.

BUT, when I'm gaming, in the middle of a rainbowsix/battlefield round, i get black and white stripes, vertically in my screen and a buzzing noise in my headset. It just seems to happen randomly, but only whilst gaming. I don't know what's the problem, because it doesn't get as hot or as stressed when i'm running prime95..

Does anybody know the origin of my problem? Is it the upgrade?

Specs:

CPU: i5-4460

RAM: Kingston furyx 4gb

MB: MSI H81i

PSU: CM B500 v2

GPU: Sapphire Dual X R9280X 4GB

Case: CM Elite 120

Stats:

Idle temp: 33C on package, 31C on core#1

Load temp prime95 after 3 minutes: 85C on package, 85C on core#1

Prime95 doesn't fail or whatever, it just keeps on going and doing everything fine. But idk what's the problem?

Just now, Boobies Sprinkle said:

Maybe you should invest CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. By the way, nice lip mang. 

CM elite 120 doesn't allow for any cooler higher than 90mm or so, so it's not an option to install any normal-sized cooler. A low profile cooler would be my best guess of course, but i don't know how i make sure it's the temps and not the CPU itself.

4 minutes ago, HoiDaniel said:

i get black and white stripes, vertically in my screen and a buzzing noise in my headset.

its probably this

PSU: CM B500 v2

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Only run Blend when using Prime95. Intel chips hate Small/Large FFT's, and can easily hit 100c.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Just now, Moonzy said:

its probably this

Do you really think it's the PSU? CPU is only drawing about 75W and no way the R9 is drawing 300W or so..

Just now, Fulgrim said:

Only run Blend when using Prime95. Intel chips hate Small/Large FFT's, and can easily hit 100c.

It doesn't crash in prime95 anyway, so idk man

stock cooler? did you reapply thermal paste when moving the cooler?

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Just now, DrM said:

stock cooler? did you reapply thermal paste when moving the cooler?

Yeah I did, I even did it twice after the first crash happened to make sure it wasn't poorly applied

1 minute ago, HoiDaniel said:

Do you really think it's the PSU? CPU is only drawing about 75W and no way the R9 is drawing 300W or so..

ive heard buzzing noise mixed in the audio when my friend's pc is underload while gaming with crap psu, so that might be it

you can test it by running gpu and cpu stress test individually, see if you can hear the buzzing noise (i suggest using aida64 and unigine heaven)

and then stress test both of them together at the same time, see if there's the buzzing noise

Just now, Moonzy said:

ive heard buzzing noise mixed in the audio when my friend's pc is underload while gaming with crap psu, so that might be it

you can test it by running gpu and cpu stress test individually, see if you can hear the buzzing noise (i suggest using aida64 and unigine heaven)

and then stress test both of them together at the same time, see if there's the buzzing noise

You don't understand me 100% :D I only hear the buzzing noise when i already crashed with the stripes. Sound is fine when i'm up and running.

hmm you said 90 degrees under prime95. what mode were you running, because it can make haswell cpus heat up quite a bit. if you can test with aida64 and see if your temps change at all

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

3 minutes ago, HoiDaniel said:

You don't understand me 100% :D I only hear the buzzing noise when i already crashed with the stripes. Sound is fine when i'm up and running.

means the game freeze and have stripes and buzzing noise?

im beginning to really suspect your psu now `-`

Just now, DrM said:

hmm you said 90 degrees under prime95. what mode were you running, because it can make haswell cpus heat up quite a bit. if you can test with aida64 and see if your temps change at all

Running for about 2 minutes now, the temperatures peak at about 62C (which is fine). What are your thoughts?

Just now, Moonzy said:

means the game freeze and have stripes and buzzing noise?

im beginning to really suspect your psu now `-`

Cooler master isn't a bad brand, right.. :(

Cooler master isn't a bad brand, right.. :(

each brand have their fair share of great and bad psu (im staring at corsair and cooler master)

except Seasonic, Super flower and Delta, they only make excellent psu

Just now, Moonzy said:

each brand have their fair share of great and bad psu (in staring at corsair and cooler master)

except Seasonic, Super flower and Delta, they only make excellent psu

I could test this by running GPU and CPU stress tests i suppose?

1 minute ago, HoiDaniel said:

I could test this by running GPU and CPU stress tests i suppose?

yeap

Just now, Moonzy said:

yeap

I'm going to do it straight away, i'll see you again when i restart lmao

Just now, Moonzy said:

yeap

after 2 benchmarks unigine  with aida64 running the whole time, CPU temps are stable at 73C, GPU at 59C.

after 2 benchmarks unigine  with aida64 running the whole time, CPU temps are stable at 73C, GPU at 59C.

well try running it longer, maybe 30 minutes or more

also, enable all the stress for aida 64 except gpu and local disks and ram

(fpu and cpu and cache iirc)

Just now, Moonzy said:

well try running it longer, maybe 30 minutes or more

also, enable all the stress for aida 64 except gpu and local disks and ram

(fpu and cpu and cache iirc)

Okay, i managed to get it crash. With Prime 95 only, it doesn't crash and temps get up to 88 degrees.

With prime95 AND unigine heaven it crashed after reaching 87 degrees, it took about a minute. I will check now if it crashes when also stressing everything in aida.

Weird stuff :(

I have heard prime95 doesn't play well with ivy bridge and haswell cpus, this could very well be your problem.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Cyracus said:

I have heard prime95 doesn't play well with ivy bridge and haswell cpus, this could very well be your problem.

It doesn't happen in prime95, i only crash ingame or whilst running prime+unigineheaven

sorry, guess I skimmed a little too much and when I see prime95 I kinda get tunnel vision. still, probably best not to run it anymore until you make sure it won't bust your cpu...if that's not already the issue. As far as power supplies go, good thread here. Looking it up it has some bad reviews, 12 volt dips hard and unreliable at high load, and that graphics cards recommended minimum psu is in the 750W range, so that's probably your problem there

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W