CPU overheating or failing on me?

I'm not an overclock expert but I would really try and rule out your GPU. If you are getting strange visuals on the screen, I think that's a good indicator that it's a display problem (which would be your GPU). I think the person above me said perhaps the GPU isn't getting enough power. In my opinion, I'd focus on the GPU. Double check that your display/GPU drivers are updated

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Just now, Cyracus said:

sorry, guess I skimmed a little too much and when I see prime95 I kinda get tunnel vision. still, probably best not to run it anymore until you make sure it won't bust your cpu...if that's not already the issue. As far as power supplies go, good thread here. Looking it up it has some bad reviews, 12 volt dips hard and unreliable at high load, and that graphics cards recommended minimum psu is in the 750W range, so that's probably your problem there

Thanks for the thread, i appreciate it a lot!

And as far as the 12v dips go; i read the amount of ampere were low compared to others, and now you're telling me you've read that the 12v dips :D This means the wattage is low already on the 12v rails with dips to much lower. This explains why it happens randomly whilst gaming, (because it didn't happen after 15 minutes unigine+prime95, but it did crash before much much quicker).

I will try another PSU from a friend who has 750 watts in his system. Also, I will invest in proper air cooling for my CPU just to be sure. I don't want it to run hotter than 70C anyways.

Thanks for your reply and please tell me if you have any other advice or tips!

Just now, berderder said:

I'm not an overclock expert but I would really try and rule out your GPU. If you are getting strange visuals on the screen, I think that's a good indicator that it's a display problem (which would be your GPU). I think the person above me said perhaps the GPU isn't getting enough power. In my opinion, I'd focus on the GPU. Double check that your display/GPU drivers are updated

GPU is fine, i've used it for the last 4 months and never had any problem with it.

yeah, a couple reviews were saying the 12v went down to 11.4, one said there were dips even lower. For the cpu cooler, frostytech is pretty reliable for reviews and they handily sorted best performers by height, all 115x sockets are the same to coolers so just look for that  http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Cyracus said:

yeah, a couple reviews were saying the 12v went down to 11.4, one said there were dips even lower. For the cpu cooler, frostytech is pretty reliable for reviews and they handily sorted best performers by height, all 115x sockets are the same to coolers so just look for that  http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm

thank you so much dude. I appreciate it!

You have two separated issues which of one isn't really even issue. Stripes and audio buzz is GPU issue. Same with crashing while gaming or under stress tests (I guess). What kind of crash we are talking about here? BSOD to reboot? Plain reboot? Game crashing? Since you get also crash while you have two benchmarks running, it really might be PSU too. But really, clarify what kind of crash we are talking about here.

As for temps. Temps with P95 are normal for CPU and cooler combination. P95 doesn't work well with Haswell and Devils Canyon CPUs (some specific version should be better). Aida64, OCCT or XTU would give more realistic full load temps, which I can see Aida64 already has given. The reason why you don't see crash, even under high temps, is that you can go up to 105C with default settings before BIOS will shut system. Should you wait and see is different question. Also TJ max is temp which you should reach in normal operation. Like gaming or light rendering. Ofc its much lower than what you get while running heavy stress test.

Next time I'd like to see these two issues as two threads. Its bit hard to help when we are troubleshooting two different problems in one thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Next time I'd like to see these two issues as two threads. Its bit hard to help when we are troubleshooting two different problems in one thread.

Not everybody is an experience troubleshooter that can identify the source of every problem, that's why there's this nifty forum to help, as it is it turns out his problem is most likely his power supply. Personally when you're having trouble with a system, even if they're seemingly separate problems it's my belief that they should be presented in one thread in case someone sees a connection, but listed with breaks between the issues in case they're not related, and then they can be relisted elsewhere if necessary.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

5 hours ago, Cyracus said:

Not everybody is an experience troubleshooter that can identify the source of every problem, that's why there's this nifty forum to help, as it is it turns out his problem is most likely his power supply. Personally when you're having trouble with a system, even if they're seemingly separate problems it's my belief that they should be presented in one thread in case someone sees a connection, but listed with breaks between the issues in case they're not related, and then they can be relisted elsewhere if necessary.

The way original question was asked already had two different situations. OP didn't get high temps during gaming or stripes during P95. Which is why they should have been better as two threads. If they would have been clearly linked, mod could merge threads. If needed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 hours ago, Cyracus said:

However, guys, thanks for your information. I turned on vsync and lowered GPU clocks and i'm not crashing any longer. I can only conclude it's my PSU that can't keep up. Thank you guys so much for at least confirming my initial findings!