Quiet HDD

JS998

I want to get new HDD because my 4 years old Seagate Barracuda is getting too loud.

So what to get? 

4 minutes ago, JS998 said:

I want to get new HDD because my 4 years old Seagate Barracuda is getting too loud.

So what to get? 

you seriously want an ssd. it makes your whole pc way faster, is more reliable and absolutely silent! 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, GeorgeKellow said:

SSD

1tb SSD is 200€+...

Just now, JS998 said:

1tb SSD is 200€+...

Get a WD blue, I dont have one, but they are meant to be good 

Just now, ChrisCross said:

you seriously want an ssd. it makes your whole pc way faster, is more reliable and absolutely silent! 

I already have an SSD. 850evo 256gb.
I need a drive to put my music/films/school files on it.

1 minute ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Get a WD blue, I dont have one, but they are meant to be good 

But is is quiet?

Just now, JS998 said:

But is is quiet?

Harddrives are never going to be quiet, they have moving parts. Get a wd green if thats your thing but a 5400rpm drives are slow 

6 minutes ago, JS998 said:

So what to get? 

Honestly most HDD's are pretty close in sound when brand new. Any of them should work but like the guy above said WD Blue is a cheap and reliable drive for everyday use. If you do a lot of writes maybe move up to the black. Technically at the 1tb mark its slightly slower (which is super weird) but its more reliable and is ready for heavier use and is more compatible with raids other than 0 and 1 (which i guess doesnt matter probably)

WD Red (non Pro) drives are very quiet and vibration-free. Even a Green drive doesn't come close.

The only drawback is the RAID-optimized TLER. I'm not sure if it is possible to change that via jumpers or software.

Sequential performance is quite good, but it may be on the slow side for a boot drive, especially if you use most of the drive's capacity.

1 minute ago, JS998 said:

1tb SSD is 200€+...

they are relatively 'quiet' at first.  but like any hard drive, over time, it'll get louder.  SSD, as you know, is silent, and many other good stuff, so, ya.  If you plan to just put files on it, get a wd green, is cheaper $/TB, and runs relatively the same.  Just dont game on it, or have programs running off it. 

However, you could get a new case.  Silent cases are awesome.  still loving my fractal design r4 case.  Its not the newest one atm, but really makes everything a LOT quiet.  I came from 2 different window cases, and after going silent case, i dont think i'll ever go back.  Silent ftw.

Basically an NAS hard drives. So as people said Red WD

Thanks guys :D 
I think that I will get a WD RED :D

11 minutes ago, never_here said:

they are relatively 'quiet' at first.  but like any hard drive, over time, it'll get louder.  SSD, as you know, is silent, and many other good stuff, so, ya.  If you plan to just put files on it, get a wd green, is cheaper $/TB, and runs relatively the same.  Just dont game on it, or have programs running off it. 

However, you could get a new case.  Silent cases are awesome.  still loving my fractal design r4 case.  Its not the newest one atm, but really makes everything a LOT quiet.  I came from 2 different window cases, and after going silent case, i dont think i'll ever go back.  Silent ftw.

I have r5 and it is still too loud.

3 minutes ago, JS998 said:

Thanks guys :D 
I think that I will get a WD RED :D

Yeah, I also vote for the WD Red. I have six and I barely hear them. Meanwhile...the four WD Re drives I have...I can hear it across my room (7200 RP< Enterprise drive). Also, my 4TB Red vs the Re is 160MB/s vs 180MB/s sequential read / write.

1 minute ago, JS998 said:

I have r5 and it is still to loud.

wow, really? wth.  my gpu had a broken fan that was ticking, and sounded like a blender when i was gaming and i couldn't hear it once i swapped my case to the R4....

wth hard drive noise does your hdd make!?

also, i'm not entirely sure why many say red's are quiet... my synology with 5 WD Reds 6TB are kinda loud.  I cant say about the hdd's in my case... as i dont hear them... 

8 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I also vote for the WD Red. I have six and I barely hear them. Meanwhile...the four WD Re drives I have...I can hear it across my room (7200 RP< Enterprise drive). Also, my 4TB Red vs the Re is 160MB/s vs 180MB/s sequential read / write.

Thanks for info :D

7 minutes ago, never_here said:

wow, really? wth.  my gpu had a broken fan that was ticking, and sounded like a blender when i was gaming and i couldn't hear it once i swapped my case to the R4....

wth hard drive noise does your hdd make!?

also, i'm not entirely sure why many say red's are quiet... my synology with 5 WD Reds 6TB are kinda loud.  I cant say about the hdd's in my case... as i dont hear them... 

Yes...
Idk like rotating noise haha idk it is loud and I don't like it :D

damn man.  pretty insane.  just note, i'm not 100% sure if its the cause, but noisy drives mean dying drives, so back it up asap if you haven't already.  But despite that, many drives that died on me making lots of random noise, i dont think i had one loud enough that could make it audible to the point it annoyed me, considering the fractal design case...  that gpu i had was terrible... but still managed to silence that shit to the point i forgot about it, and it was until that gpu died, that i remembered the fan was broken, xD.

1 minute ago, never_here said:

damn man.  pretty insane.  just note, i'm not 100% sure if its the cause, but noisy drives mean dying drives, so back it up asap if you haven't already.  But despite that, many drives that died on me making lots of random noise, i dont think i had one loud enough that could make it audible to the point it annoyed me, considering the fractal design case...  that gpu i had was terrible... but still managed to silence that shit to the point i forgot about it, and it was until that gpu died, that i remembered the fan was broken, xD.

Yeah I know that and for that reason I want to get a new drive.