Running a Minecraft server

A few buddies of mine pay for a server monthly and maybe use it for 2-3 days out of that month. I find it a waste of money especially for what they are getting.

So... I can easily find some used parts to build a server though don't exactly know how and where to start.

I would like to run at least 2 servers off this at once,

So would something like

a i5-750 - i7-860

16GBs of RAM

60GB SSD

( other parts are whatever I can get, just a decent case + quiet fans since I can't really hide it and reliable power supply )

So if the hardware is fine, what exactly else would I need to do? Also how could I make it so I don't have to use my IP and use a custom address like mc.DarkBlade.net or whatever.

Don't quite know what else to ask....

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I actually ran a server for awhile a couple years ago, sky-block.net and .org... Was fun.  Ran it on my own server.

Anyways, for the domain part (mc.yourdomain.com) you can buy a domain from somewhere like godaddy or namecheap

Then you need to change the DNS zone file to add the "mc" subdomain, and point it to your IP address.  Godaddy has a short and slightly helpful guide here (https://www.godaddy.com/help/manage-dns-for-your-domain-names-680)

Spec and hardware-wise you'd be all set.  

For an OS I'd recommend Mine OS, since it gives you a web access to set everything up, stop and start servers, and the computer could boot into it directly.  It's linux based, and very light weight, giving you the most power for your hardware.  No need for a monitor, Windows, etc... (https://minecraft.codeemo.com/)

For running two servers, you'd need to use different ports, like 25565 for one and 25566 for another.

58 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

A few buddies of mine pay for a server monthly and maybe use it for 2-3 days out of that month. I find it a waste of money especially for what they are getting.

So... I can easily find some used parts to build a server though don't exactly know how and where to start.

I would like to run at least 2 servers off this at once,

So would something like

a i5-750 - i7-860

16GBs of RAM

60GB SSD

( other parts are whatever I can get, just a decent case + quiet fans since I can't really hide it and reliable power supply )

So if the hardware is fine, what exactly else would I need to do? Also how could I make it so I don't have to use my IP and use a custom address like mc.DarkBlade.net or whatever.

Don't quite know what else to ask....

Get spigot and bungeecord. Search up tutorials on how to use bungeecord - its what most server nodes use

With the 16gb of ram - Its overkill. I ran multiple minecraft servers on a 4gb server. If you get it for cheap or you have it spare, go for it but if not then scale it down to 8gb or less.

Minecraft servers dont usually leverage multiple cores it uses about 2 cores at the most. Try to get a newer generation i3 or pentium (g3258 is a great choice)

You can use dot.tk to get a free .tk domain and then use the website to set up the ip -> yourthing.tk. Renember, you have to port forward..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

Get spigot and bungeecord. Search up tutorials on how to use bungeecord - its what most server nodes use

With the 16gb of ram - Its overkill. I ran multiple minecraft servers on a 4gb server. If you get it for cheap or you have it spare, go for it but if not then scale it down to 8gb or less.

Minecraft servers dont usually leverage multiple cores it uses about 2 cores at the most. Try to get a newer generation i3 or pentium (g3258 is a great choice)

You can use dot.tk to get a free .tk domain and then use the website to set up the ip -> yourthing.tk. Renember, you have to port forward..

I understand I could just get a G3258 but why when I can get a i5-760 for like $20-$25... Also I can get like 16-24GBs of ram for like $15-$20. One of the servers will be modded. Also couldn't I say have 2 cores dedicated to one server and the other 2 towards the other? Or is that not how it works?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

20 minutes ago, themctipers said:

<snip>

<snip>

This^ (Except, when you start adding stuff like bukkit or bungeecord or spigot, then you need more cores, that's a definite)

17 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I understand I could just get a G3258 but why when I can get a i5-760 for like $20-$25... Also I can get like 16-24GBs of ram for like $15-$20. One of the servers will be modded. Also couldn't I say have 2 cores dedicated to one server and the other 2 towards the other? Or is that not how it works?

It all comes down to how much you want to spend and dedicate to it.

21 minutes ago, miguelr said:

This^ (Except, when you start adding stuff like bukkit or bungeecord or spigot, then you need more cores, that's a definite)

It all comes down to how much you want to spend and dedicate to it.

Going used getting something like a i5-760 or i7-860 is nothing, cheap and still plenty powerful.

Question I still is is say I have 2-3 servers, couldn't I say dedicate 2 cores to the vanilla servers and the other 2 to the modded server. Only 2 servers will be constant, we will use one for monthly UHC's.

RAM is dirt cheap... I could pick of 32GBs of RAM for $40 at this local area near me. Though max I would need is 8GBs since I already have 8GBs.

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Going used getting something like a i5-760 or i7-860 is nothing, cheap and still plenty powerful.

Question I still is is say I have 2-3 servers, couldn't I say dedicate 2 cores to the vanilla servers and the other 2 to the modded server. Only 2 servers will be constant, we will use one for monthly UHC's.

RAM is dirt cheap... I could pick of 32GBs of RAM for $40 at this local area near me. Though max I would need is 8GBs since I already have 8GBs.

True. If you can luck out with 6 cores, that would help with the modded. I've seen times where modded can eat up your cores like there is no tomorrow.

32GB is overkill. 4GB should be good, plus, Java does break after, I think 8 GB?

2 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

thats not how cores work

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

the first generation of intel i3/i5/i7 cpus only support 16gb of ram max

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 hours ago, themctipers said:

thats not how cores work

the first generation of intel i3/i5/i7 cpus only support 16gb of ram max

I think it clearly stated "Though I would only need 8GBs of Ram since I already have 8"

8+8 = 16 lol