Rackmount network switch with the ports on the back?

Noobular

I was curious if there was a network switch available that has the ethernet ports in the back rather then the front, since i'm going to end up pluging them in and probably never touch them again i'd like the front to look a bit better.

Any help would be appreciated! 

Any specific features or specs you need in the switch?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Question, Can i have my main router connected to the switch and then any other device connected to the switch gets access to that internet?

And can handle 200mbit/s    (currently get around 100down but just incase we upgrade.)

I'm not sure the about lan aspects if i could do fast speeds with it , it would be helpful essentially im going to be doing some unreal engine 4 work and have server side stuff sent to it and updated.

Depending on how many ports you're looking for they all have them in the front. If you want rack mount anyways. I've seen really small 8 port switches that have them in the back but would that be enough?

Alternatively you can zip tie (cable tie, Velcro would be better) the cables together to pretty them up, that's what I did for my parents home network when I installed it. Even though it's in a closet and nobody will see it I still want it clean looking so I know where you're coming from.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Depending on how many ports you're looking for they all have them in the front. If you want rack mount anyways. I've seen really small 8 port switches that have them in the back but would that be enough?

Alternatively you can zip tie (cable tie, Velcro would be better) the cables together to pretty them up, that's what I did for my parents home network when I installed it. Even though it's in a closet and nobody will see it I still want it clean looking so I know where you're coming from.

Actually 8 should be fine.. I don't think i'd have a lan party soon thats going to have more then 6 people lol, Links would be appreciated!

If you only need an 8 port switch most Netgear, TP-Link, or Dlink switch will work. Aim for something in the $40-50 range so you don't get complete junk that dies in a few days.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

16 minutes ago, Noobular said:

Actually 8 should be fine.. I don't think i'd have a lan party soon thats going to have more then 6 people lol, Links would be appreciated!

A lot of consumer grade switches some with up to 8 ports so they don't look like rack mount switches. You can check these out, just read the reviews. Make sure other people are happy before you buy:

D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit Desktop Switch

ZyXEL GS108B 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch - says out of stock, you can probably find it elsewhere cheaper anyways

LevelOne GSW-0807 Gigabit Switch

If you don't need gigabit you can probably save a few more dollars. Just have to look around some more.

Racks support mounting from the front and the back, any rackmount switch can be mounted so the ports face backwards. For higher powered switches such as 24/48 port PoE you can get them with fan configurations of airflow front to back or back to front depending on how you want to mount it. Lower powered switches with very little airflow don't really matter.

Why are you racking your switch in the front of your cabinet? Rack it in the back where the ports are on the server for ease of access and cable management.

-KuJoe

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2016 at 8:53 PM, KuJoe said:

Why are you racking your switch in the front of your cabinet? Rack it in the back where the ports are on the server for ease of access and cable management.

1.) Sorry for reviving an old thread,

2.) The reason is so that the power switch is in the front an easily accessible in case of storms or something along those lines i'd like a quick ability to respond.

On 5/2/2016 at 5:22 AM, Noobular said:

Question, Can i have my main router connected to the switch and then any other device connected to the switch gets access to that internet?

And can handle 200mbit/s    (currently get around 100down but just incase we upgrade.)

I'm not sure the about lan aspects if i could do fast speeds with it , it would be helpful essentially im going to be doing some unreal engine 4 work and have server side stuff sent to it and updated.

Yeap that's how it usually goes, your switch just shares the connection