Video idea for LTT

Squirrel724

@Slick @LinusTech

You should do a video on why recording lights such as Keyboards and CRTs cause them to appear to flicker. Anytime you see a keyboard in a video there is always a note in the video about how it doesn't actually flicker. It is also common to see people asking if the keyboard actually flicker when they see a review on youtube that shows some flickering. It would be good to see a major channel showing how this flicker is a characteristic of recording the lighting with a camera. It would be good to have a solid video to reference instead of having to explain how the flickering is a result of the framerate of the camera combined with the PWM signal that controls the brightness of the lighting.

Sorry if this is the wrong topic, I felt it would be wrong to put in the LTT section of the forum.

4 minutes ago, Squirrel724 said:

@Slick @LinusTech

You should do a video on why recording lights such as Keyboards and CRTs cause them to appear to flicker. Anytime you see a keyboard in a video there is always a note in the video about how it doesn't actually flicker. It is also common to see people asking if the keyboard actually flicker when they see a review on youtube that shows some flickering. It would be good to see a major channel showing how this flicker is a characteristic of recording the lighting with a camera. It would be good to have a solid video to reference instead of having to explain how the flickering is a result of the framerate of the camera combined with the PWM signal that controls the brightness of the lighting.

Sorry if this is the wrong topic, I felt it would be wrong to put in the LTT section of the forum.

CRTs are rapidly scanning along the phosphor pixels at the screen with an electron gun. When the electron gun strikes a pixel, the pixel illuminates.  This is why you can see a 'rolling' when you film a CRT, because it's capturing the 'roll' of the electron gun as it cycles down the screen at 60-120 times a second.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

CRTs are rapidly scanning along the phosphor pixels at the screen with an electron gun. When the electron gun strikes a pixel, the pixel illuminates.  This is why you can see a 'rolling' when you film a CRT, because it's capturing the 'roll' of the electron gun as it cycles down the screen at 60-120 times a second.

I know the reasoning behind the different forms of flicker (CRTs are by far the worst to film due to their nature) I was just saying they should make a video that can be linked to instead of explaining why everytime the question comes up.

I one saw a video called 1 man 1 bag.  Basically a guy collects poop from portapotties and puts it in a bag.  You can look up the rest.  Anyway I think that a video combining poop with computers would be funny.