why isnt linux booting?

okay so i built a computer and it posted. i didnt want to spend $100 and buy windows 10 so i downloaded a very light distribution of linux to boot off of because my hardware is terrible. it should be able to run 64 bit puppy linux http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm and i used rufus to turn my usb with the puppy linux iso file to a bootable usb but it isnt booting the system.

IMG_5158.JPG

28 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

okay so i built a computer and it posted. i didnt want to spend $100 and buy windows 10 so i downloaded a very light distribution of linux to boot off of because my hardware is terrible. it should be able to run 64 bit puppy linux http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm and i used rufus to turn my usb with the puppy linux iso file to a bootable usb but it isnt booting the system.

IMG_5158.JPG7

Firstly, I'd recommend you try Ubuntu because it's the friendliest out of the major distros for Linux newcomers IMO.

Tried typing 'startx' or something?

Also, you can legitimately buy Windows 10 for much less than $100.

Sig under construction.

Try ubuntu, zorin, or debian if you're used to windows

My internet refuses to load the image but you may either be on the server/terminal only version with no gui. Otherwise its simply a bad boot which means new iso and try UUI or Lili instead of rufus 

you may also need to enable os install and/or legacy boot in the bios

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

You seem to have booted freeDOS, a free alternative to MS-DOS! That is definitely not puppy Linux. This must mean you used the wrong iso or you already had freeDOS installed.

Puppy Linux isn't great as a permanent operating system IMHO. Instead, I would suggest kubuntu or lubuntu instead. These are versions of Ubuntu specifically designed for older hardware.

I suggest these because they are easy to use for browsing/office tasks. If you have other purposes in mind (i.e programming) I would suggest Debian, or maybe even Arch if you can find someone to help you.

Otherwise, Kubuntu and Lubuntu are most likely going to suit you best.