Stumped Between Which Headphones!

Awsomethesecond

Hi, im Anthony

Im am stuck between choosing the ATH M50x, or Sennheiser HD 598's! I will be listening to music in the car with my family, and at home. I listen to alot of rap and pop.

I will be gaming with the headphones i choose, if i go with the HD 598's i know I will need to remove the locking mechanism. I will be using a V-Moda BoomPro mic, if i go with the HD 598's. If i go with the  ATH M50x, i will be using a Antlion ModMic, and a Y splitter. Or should i compromise and use a 8$ Zalman Mic that clips on the auxilary cord. I will be gaming on PS4 and PC.

NOTE: I will be replacing the ATH M50x cushions with Shure pads. 

45 minutes ago, Awsomethesecond said:

May i ask why? How big are they also?

because the audio quality is better and they have a soundstage unlike the m50, the hd 558 sounds 95-98% the same as the 598 so why not go after them and save some money.

side note.

You do not want to replace the pads on the m50x unless you take that foam layer off the stock pads and put in on the new pads, because with out that layer they will kill your ears.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Ok. On Amazon, the special edition 589's are 120$ Similar to the originals. But, im debating whether to get them because people say they are fake, so i emailed Sennheiser, and am hoping for a responce next week. Would the 598's be good for FPS's or open world games? 

Also, are headsets with virtual surround sound a gimmick? Would i be able to use Razer Surround on these?

Just now, Awsomethesecond said:

Ok. On Amazon, the special edition 589's are 120$ Similar to the originals. But, im debating whether to get them because people say they are fake, so i emailed Sennheiser, and am hoping for a responce next week. Would the 598's be good for FPS's or open world games? 

Also, are headsets with virtual surround sound a gimmick? Would i be able to use Razer Surround on these?

they are much better than the m50x for gaming and yes surround sound is a gimmick, when you have open headphones you won't need it, because of soundstage. There is a 598se that is all black like the hd 558. You can use razer surround with them if you want.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Whats the difference between the 558's and 598's, i mean what makes them different from eachother. Obviously the price (lol). Are they both doofy looking?

11 minutes ago, Awsomethesecond said:

Whats the difference between the 558's and 598's, i mean what makes them different from eachother. Obviously the price (lol). Are they both doofy looking?

different colors and the materials on the hd 598 is better. The pads is also a little better on the 598, but the sound is basically the same.

So what do you think i should do? Does the 558 have a locking system to?

48 minutes ago, Awsomethesecond said:

So what do you think i should do? Does the 558 have a locking system to?

yep. Buy the 598se for 120$ and if they are fake return them, if you don't want to take a risk get the 558.

I doubt they will be fake if im buying from amazon directly. How could i get fakes if its from amazon?

1 hour ago, Awsomethesecond said:

I doubt they will be fake if im buying from amazon directly. How could i get fakes if its from amazon?

dunno it was you saying that people say they are fake.

In the car, my family listen to music on the radio, but i listen to my music. Would i even be able to hear my music since these are openback?

5 minutes ago, Awsomethesecond said:

In the car, my family listen to music on the radio, but i listen to my music. Would i even be able to hear my music since these are openback?

yeah but you will also be able to hear their music and they will be able to hear your music depending on how loud tou play it.

Would it still be a good experience though? Could i hear my music at all?

Wait wait a second, this is going to be for use in the car.  598s will be terrible for that.  Get 558s and buy some in-ears with the extra cash.  It'd be idiotic to compromise your home use just because you have to use it in the car/outside.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I will also be using them for gaming at home? Im not a fan of in-ears. So i should avoid the 598s? What other headphones would work?

It it really that bad?

What about the V-Moda LP2 or Bose Sound True? Or just going with the M50x.

If you want to listen to music in the car without destorying your hearing, get IEMs. It's really that simple. If you don't like it, ignore us and do what you want.

7 hours ago, Awsomethesecond said:

Ok. For home use, im gonna get the HD 589.

Note: The v moda boom pro mic isn't compatible with them. The mic uses a 3.5 mm jack and the headphones take a smaller jack I believe. 

Also as said before, in the car you will be able to hear the other stuff going on in the car, and others might be able to hear your music depending on the volume