Mac subforum?

Kirihuna

As much as love the idea of having a sub forum for this, I think having people post questions about Mac OS, Linux, and Windows in one forum helps people. For example if I am a Windows only user and know nothing about Linux, I would slowly learn more about it by seeing the occasional "Should I run Linux" question. Where on the other hand if there was a separate forum for Linux them I would kinda be overwhelmed by the amount of information there is in it.... But now that I think about it more, if there was a sticky in that Linux forum for people who know nothing about it then that would be really helpful.   

Corsair 350d, Intel 3570k @ 4.2 ghz, H100i, Caviar blue 500gb, Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung EVO 850 Pro 256GB, EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 ACX 3.0, Corsair Vengeance 8gb,AX760i

2013 Macbook Pro 15-inch 

I'm not a mac guy at all, but it is a good thing to add

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

If Windows on a Mac is still a Mac, why can't having Mac on a custom build be a Mac? Just cause it's doesn't have the official branding?

Marques Brownlee tends to refer his hackintosh as a Mac. Is he dumb for saying that? Is he wrong? No.

Having a macbook pro myself, that is a mac.

You have a custom build pc running mac os x thats called a hackintosh

If you run windows on you iMac .. you still  have a mac but with windows as an OS.

That is because a MAC is HW- from Apple AND OS.

If you have HW - custom build and the MAC OS -  you just have a hackintosh. - like its not officially supported and i wouldn't want to troubleshoot stuff that dont work on it.. go to TOny x86 or something for that? :)

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)

If you have HW - custom build and the MAC OS -  you just have a hackintosh. - like its not officially supported and i wouldn't want to troubleshoot stuff that dont work on it.. go to TOny x86 or something for that? :)

It's more of, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, is it a duck?

If I had my tower hidden and used Apple display, Apple mouse, Apple keyboard with Mac OS X, it looks like a Mac.

All I'm saying is a lot of people refer to Hackintosh as a Mac.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Not to hate on Macs, but I'm pretty sure that any question you want to ask about Mac stuff already has a subforum that would apply to it. You'll notice that the OS subforum is "Operating Systems and Software" not "Windows and Windows Software". I think any Hackintosh stuff could go in any of the other mod forums. 

I'm open to discussion on Mac stuff (considering that I have to work with them every day), but I just don't see the need for having a Mac forum unless a Linux and Windows forum is also created... though that just leads to pointless fragmentation, in my opinion.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Just a thought to consider with all the guys going "nah, Macs are covered" Why is it that we have five different subforums for gaming? This is a tech site, is it not, gaming =/= tech

It can be a Mac because it has the OS itself.

Many people refer their custom PC's a Mac as long as it has the Mac OS on it.

The name Mac is in no way related to whether a computer runs OSX or not. It's the name of the computer. If you take a BMW engine and stuff it inside a Volvo, is it then a BMW? No. If you take TouchWiz and port it to run on a HTC device, is the HTC then a Samsung/Glaxy? No. A Mac is a PC built by Apple. 

Edit: If such a forum is to be implemented, it should be for all things related. Hackintosh, HW and OS. 

I'm not against there being a mac sub-forum but i would have to say as the forum is currently set up there is nothing implying that any company or os is required for any of the sub-forums. It seems to have been set up in a generic way for all windows, mac and Linux computers can go an any category that is needed

however i can understand that you may get crap form people in this forum(any computer forum) for posting about a mac but if a sub-forum is created it would seem necessary to separate all other types as well. That brings up the question of how much does it need to be separated do we need sections for os and hardware? Isn't most the hardware repetitively generic? 

anyways i have no problem with mac or hackintosh i have been meaning to try that for sometime and i love osx for somethings

I quite like the idea for a mac sub forum! Then PC fan boys won't start trolling when asking legitimate questions about mac stuff. 

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

I don't see what is wrong with it as long as it includes Hackintosh talk.

Spoiler

I don't see what is wrong with it as long as it includes Hackintosh talk.

I would want it to

I quite like the idea for a mac sub forum! Then PC fan boys won't start trolling when asking legitimate questions about mac stuff. 

I haven't seen a single Mac thread where this doesn't happen, or sometimes even iOS...

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Is there possibly a way that we could get a Mac subforum created? Under Hardware?

To talk about actual Mac things or Hackintosh?

There have been quite a few people who inquire about Hackintoshes before.There are also quite a few Mac owners / users here.

This is a tech forum and Macs are tech  :)  ;)  :D

It could basically be used for the Mac community here to help each other out, to suggest things when people want to buy Macs or build Hackintoshes.

People who are for a Mac subforum, open to it, or like the idea:

Myself

Nicholas Marzio

Duda777

Prince32780

Larnuk

Megadarkwood

TheSLSSAMG

KaareKanin

Lil Chillbil

Wackyalex

Piplupgao

3DDude

Mentalguy

Nerb

DaftBehemoth

MrSuperb

Niksuto

Bluethulhu

Make a poll so I can vote no.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

why?

To see if everyone wants a MAC Sub forum or not?

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Too bad I wouldn't make a poll with a no option.

That way mindless people can't flood the results.

So far, in this thread:

A few people voiced interest.

A few people voiced why we shouldn't in reasonable discussion (thanks for that by the way, whether or not we agree / disagree)

And then 1/2 of this thread or more was mindless babbling by people with no input.

A poll is a dumb idea.

Don't need the MAC idea's and business model polluting the forum.  I CANNOT stand their business models and attitude of the company.

I see no reason to segregate the forums. This kind of attitude only breads the PC Mac war IMO, why does there have to be a 'special place' for any particular OS, i can understand a linux one at a push with all the distros and all. But "mainstream" ones, no. 

That said, if there is a subforum made, i'd check it quite often, I'd lurk, but still. I don't think it's needed.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Don't need the MAC idea's and business model polluting the forum.  I CANNOT stand their business models and attitude of the company.

LOL ... according to your profile you work for PWC .... enough said.

A poll is a dumb idea.

make one with a single option to see if there is actual interest.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

My issue is, MAC makes sub par products, granted their finish on their laptops are good, but overall their products aren't ANY better than whats out there.  They have known defects that wear out just after warranty expires and they over sell their products by over 10 times.  That is my issue with MAC.

I think this would be a very good idea, at least we can post stuff and get useful feedback. I am a big Mac user and been one for 4 years. As with this I have gathered a lot of knowledge over the years and it would be useful to share this with other Mac users. That way we can communicate constructively.

This kind of attitude only breads the PC Mac war IMO, why does there have to be a 'special place' for any particular OS, i can understand a linux one at a push with all the distros and all. But "mainstream" ones, no.

The only reason it would breed the war is because people would purposely go and troll the other subforums.

There have been a few Mac users who've posted in this thread, I've never seen them go into other threads and troll how Mac OS X is a better OS or how Windows is a terrible OS.

Most of us do use both OS.

Mr Superb and I, for example, use both. I have a custom PC and a Macbook.

It would mostly be a centralized discussion regarding Mac OS, Mac computers, and Hackintosh. No one has to visit it if they don't want to. But if they do, they'd have to post in a reasonable manor hopefully. If it was trolling in a subforum, I would hope a mod gives out a warning post or a short ban. If it was trolling in a general discussion, it would be different.

The only reason it would breed the war is because people would purposely go and troll the other subforums.

There have been a few Mac users who've posted in this thread, I've never seen them go into other threads and troll how Mac OS X is a better OS or how Windows is a terrible OS.

Most of us do use both OS.

Mr Superb and I, for example, use both. I have a custom PC and a Macbook.

It would mostly be a centralized discussion regarding Mac OS, Mac computers, and Hackintosh. No one has to visit it if they don't want to. But if they do, they'd have to post in a reasonable manor hopefully. If it was trolling in a subforum, I would hope a mod gives out a warning post or a short ban. If it was trolling in a general discussion, it would be different.

I'm afraid a MAC subforum will bring uneducated MAC fan boys to this forum.  I feel a MAC sub forum will only last a few weeks before it's purpose gets destroyed.  We have like a ton of well educated people that can see a benefit to having a MAC for certain scenarios or a hakintosh (I haven't figured this one out yet), but I can see it becoming a troll fest very quickly.

count me in bro

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Subpar products? lmao. Have you ever owned a Mac?

Apple has been known to push the industry believe it or not. iGPU was Apple annoying Intel. Retina display was one of the first high pixel dense mobile displays. Now we're seeing 3200x1600 displays in ultrabooks.

They're warranty service is one year. You can buy an extra two years. Their warranty service is top notch, I've used it before.

They charge so fricken much and everything is nearly proprietary.  If I could run Mac OS on my PC on dual boot w/o days of screwing with it I would.  I like their OS design, but they charge so fricken much for the same thing I have.  I've dealt with macs ALOT, love their OS, but with the exception of the finish on their mac book pros, you still don't get the quality of a custom build.