Why does everyone love Linux so much?

32 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

You can do that on Windows as well.

What's a good terminal file manager for Windows?

16 hours ago, wasab said:

Says the person who is scare of unix terminal and does not even realize the fact that macOS is itself an Unix operating system. 

I'm not gonna bother correcting your inaccuracies anymore, not worth it. You sound very much like an apple fanboy/fangirl by this point as well. 

Says the person who doesn't apparently read. Did you miss the part where I run Linux servers, or own Mac's? You simply don't want to admit you've been grasping at straws, and other people on the forum have pointed out wild inaccuracies in your posts and you've ignored them. Bow out now please.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Says the person who doesn't apparently read. Did you miss the part where I run Linux servers, or own Mac's? You simply don't want to admit you've been grasping at straws, and other people on the forum have pointed out wild inaccuracies in your posts and you've ignored them. Bow out now please.

Now I'm curious. Just what kind of sorry linux servers are you running that you need to install a gui on it? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, wasab said:

Now I'm curious. Just what kind of sorry linux servers are you running that you need to install a gui on it? 

I don't. See this is what I mean by you not reading the post. My shell configuration lists 2 mac's, 12 CentOS servers, 4 FreeBSD servers.

My point, which you keep missing is that a Linux DESKTOP has to function with the same user language as Mac OS X and Windows, because you otherwise will never get people to switch to it.

I'm old enough to have been doing all the command line junk in MS-DOS long before Windows was even a thing. Do you know how hard it was for someone like my Mom to just load Wordstar or Word Perfect? "Here's a disk". Do you remember the period between 1991 and 1999 where you needed boot disks to run DOS games because most games didn't work correctly under Windows? Do you remember how to program a boot menu? Do you remember when io.sys became a text file?

This is all old hat things to me. Linux in 1996 was also a horrible ugly mess, and STILL IS. I can't teach my mom how to use it. My mom doesn't even know how to plug the speakers in. My mom is the typical "office worker", you sit her down in front of MS Word or Excel and she knows how to use these programs. However if that icon disappears off the taskbar she doesn't know how to run it. My experience with people at the Fortune 500 company Engineering office is EXACTLY the same. People don't want to touch anything but the software they need for their jobs, because they're afraid the machine will break and their productivity will be destroyed. They do not want to call the helpdesk because they know that will sink their productivity.

Now imagine for 60 seconds how those calls would go if it were Linux.

"How do I make Word load?"

"The screen is too (small/big/fuzzy)"

"The mouse cursor moves too fast/slow"

These are actual questions asked, on Windows. If you can't fix it 60 seconds, good luck getting the user to fix it without explaining how to open a text editor, the paths the configuration files, and so forth.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

My point, which you keep missing is that a Linux DESKTOP has to function with the same user language as Mac OS X and Windows, because you otherwise will never get people to switch to it.

The closest approach is KDE - and KDE can be messy.

Write in C.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

I don't. 

Says the person who yells out you need to install a gui and run imagemagick on a server. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

you need to (...) run imagemagick on a server. 

Why would that be bad?

Write in C.

8 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Why would that be bad?

Because how are you going to do that on a ssh connection?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

If I'm not mistaken, half of my servers run imagemagick - usually inside adequately complex PHP scripts.

Write in C.

2 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

If I'm not mistaken, half of my servers run imagemagick - usually inside adequately complex PHP scripts.

But how do you run gui programs over a secure shell?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Try X11 forwarding. But I deliberately left out the GUI from the quote...

Write in C.

11 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Try X11 forwarding. But I deliberately left out the GUI from the quote...

I can imagine how much bandwidth thats gonna eat up and why this is turn off by default. 

Anwyays, I was referring to her earlier quote that you needed to install an entire x11/wayland to run imagemagick. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Which is a false statement unless your operating system has a broken package system.

While it may make use of X11 libraries, they are not required for the core functionality at all.

FreeBSD, for example, has both a X11 and a no-X11 variant:

Gentoo lets you select a no-X11 variant as well:

Just like GNU Emacs does not require X11 but can have a GUI installed if you want to.

Write in C.

Not sure if Wayland could run that. Though not toyed with Wayland in a while either.

For the screen is blue and full of errors.