Mediatek Helio x30 23% Faster Then Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 And 50% Lower Power Consumption Over x20

FirstArmada

Source : http://wccftech.com/helio-x30-vs-snapdragon-820/

The unreleased Helio x30 had about a 23% higher score in Antutu over the Snapdragon 820

pt

Main features of the Helio x30 

2 x Cortex-A72 cores running at 2.8GHz (or quite possibly cores belonging to the Artemis architecture)

4 x Cortex-A53 cores running at 2.2GHz

4 x Cortex-A35 cores running at 2.0GHz

2 x LPDDR4 RAM ePOP (indicating that the SoC will be an ‘all in on package’)

A high-performing PowerVR GPU instead of an ARM Mali one

Support up to a 26MP rear camera sensor

Do you guys think the Helio x30 will be the king for long with the snapdragon 823 just around the corner? 

New update guys the Helio x30 is rumored to have 50% lower power consumption over the x20

Source : http://wccftech.com/helio-x30-cut-performance-consumption-50-percent-compared-helio-x20/ 

Isn't the Helio at a much more competitive price point comapred to Qualcom's offerings? This should be taken into consideration even if the new snapdragon beats it with the 823.

Lord of Helium.

5 minutes ago, Burusutazu said:

Isn't the Helio at a much more competitive price point comapred to Qualcom's offerings? This should be taken into consideration even if the new snapdragon beats it with the 823.

I believe so, phones containing the Helio x10 and x20 were much much cheaper then its snapdragon equivalents .

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 has an x10 @ 2 GHz  , 2 gigs of RAM and a 5.5 inch 1080P IPS display for 150 USD

The x10 is about as fast as a Snapdragon 801 

They really need to fuck off with that core count. Honestly. 

At least it uses A35s for low power but still; it's an awful practice even if it looks good in synthetic benchmarks.

Interesting that they go for a PowerVR graphics solution but I guess it's their only option to compete with the Adreno 530 since even the T880MP12 solution in the Exynos 8890 falls behind. 

omg, is this caused by the nerdsport announcement video due to its high dislike ratio? xD

Umm, I suppose more competition is always good for us consumers!

Very misleading title, the only place this SoC will beat the 820 is in a multicore benchmark. 

3 minutes ago, tsk said:

Very misleading title, the only place this SoC will beat the 820 is in a multicore benchmark. 

Single threaded performance isnt everything nor is multi threaded they both matter , i mainly wanted to show that their are alternatives to Qualcomm SoCs and they are very competitive with the Qualcomm SoCs

5 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Single threaded performance isnt everything nor is multi threaded they both matter , i mainly wanted to show that their are alternatives to Qualcomm SoCs and they are very competitive with the Qualcomm SoCs

In a phone, single threaded is everything. The only reason this exists is because it's a major marketing gimmick that sells in China. 

21 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

-snip-

Multi core solutions are just as important as single threaded ones. Because we all know how pissed people would be, if we placed a 3Ghz single core processor in a smartphone running heavy skins... Altough ive never given much attention to Mediatek cpus because theyr gpu solutions are friggin awful Xp. Whats the point of having a beastly cpu, when the gpu is nothing but subpar for a flagship status aha. Btw, isnt the X30 able to record 4K 60fps?

Groomlake Authority

Yawn... Call me when it wins in a meaningful test and not AnTuTu.

On top of that, MediaTek would need to match Qualcomm in the other areas as well (such as IPS, modem, connectivity, power efficiency, GPS and other features) to actually be an alternative.

1 hour ago, tsk said:

In a phone, single threaded is everything. The only reason this exists is because it's a major marketing gimmick that sells in China. 

Not true. There are a lot of Android apps that scales really well with more cores.

50 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yawn... Call me when it wins in a meaningful test and not AnTuTu.

On top of that, MediaTek would need to match Qualcomm in the other areas as well (such as IPS, modem, connectivity, power efficiency, GPS and other features) to actually be an alternative.

Not true. There are a lot of Android apps that scales really well with more cores.

But if at the right price point it could still be a viable option 

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Multi core solutions are just as important as single threaded ones. Because we all know how pissed people would be, if we placed a 3Ghz single core processor in a smartphone running heavy skins... Altough ive never given much attention to Mediatek cpus because theyr gpu solutions are friggin awful Xp. Whats the point of having a beastly cpu, when the gpu is nothing but subpar for a flagship status aha. Btw, isnt the X30 able to record 4K 60fps?

I couldent find any info on that but any flagship should have at least 4K and 30fps

2 hours ago, FirstArmada said:

The myth here is that apps don't utilize multiple cores, which  I've never said.   The devices that come out on top in benchmarks that actually measure how fast it does things(octane, sunspider etc.) is always the one with high single threaded performance. 

I assume you read the article you just linked, cause then you'd know why antutu is a useless benchmark. 

As you can see, the latter part of the test completely maxes out all the CPU cores. It is clear that the benchmark is artificially creating a high workload, and since nearly all the cores are running at full speed then SoCs with more cores will score better for that part of the test. I never saw this kind of workload on any normal apps.

Nice to see advancements for such SoCs going, that core count though.
Either way I'm looking forward to see single core improvement.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

But how about in real-world tests?

Here is a question. Why dont laptops have different low and high power cores?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 hour ago, thekeemo said:

Here is a question. Why dont laptops have different low and high power cores?

Because x86 is not conducive to that architecture at all (ARM "little cores" are freaking tiny, Intel hasn't afaik come close to making a modern x86 core that small).

Plus current intel cores are gods at low power states (compared to their maximums), they can shut down lots of individual parts on the fly (think one big smart core).

Also additional cores is additional cost, complexity, and just generally bad practice.

@patrickjp93

Intel was looking at little.big back in 2012 but nothing has come of it (probably because it turned out to be a bad idea or something...)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Because x86 is not conducive to that architecture at all (ARM "little cores" are freaking tiny, Intel hasn't afaik come close to making a modern x86 core that small).

Plus current intel cores are gods at low power states (compared to their maximums), they can shut down lots of individual parts on the fly (think one big smart core).

Also additional cores is additional cost, complexity, and just generally bad practice.

@patrickjp93

Intel was looking at little.big back in 2012 but nothing has come of it (probably because it turned out to be a bad idea or something...)

Windows and Linux would also require huge modifications in their thread schedulers to be able to take advantage, and it would be an even bigger hassle for software developers than standard multithreading too. Plus, how would overclocking work on a CPU with 2 or more sets of different cores at different clock speeds?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

Windows and Linux would also require huge modifications in their thread schedulers to be able to take advantage, and it would be an even bigger hassle for software developers than standard multithreading too. Plus, how would overclocking work on a CPU with 2 or more sets of different cores at different clock speeds?

Linux already has support for it (Windows don't though but Microsoft could probably make it work). 

Overclocking wouldn't be a big deal either. Just make them appear as two separate chips (like we currently got with iGPUs and dGPU). The big problem would be the Windows scheduler, but if Linux can do it then Windows should be able to do it too.

But yeah, it would be complicated for developers. At least if we want to effectively use it. Windows could probably be made to take advantage of it to some degree without the programmers having to specifically add support for it. 

Just now, LAwLz said:

Linux already has support for it (Windows don't though but Microsoft could probably make it work). 

Overclocking wouldn't be a big deal either. Just make them appear as two separate chips (like we currently got with iGPUs and dGPU). The big problem would be the Windows scheduler, but if Linux can do it then Windows should be able to do it too.

But yeah, it would be complicated for developers. At least if we want to effectively use it. Windows could probably be made to take advantage of it to some degree without the programmers having to specifically add support for it. 

Linux only supports it for cores with the exact same instruction set capabilities. For Intel to include Atom cores or previous-generation cores would blow up the complexity immensely.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

19 hours ago, Trixanity said:

They really need to fuck off with that core count.

Eh my phone is a Galaxy S6 (Exynos 7420) and I think that the extra cores are nice.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 hours ago, wcreek said:

Eh my phone is a Galaxy S6 (Exynos 7420) and I think that the extra cores are nice.

Two low-power cores with SMT and two high power cores with SMT really should be enough for a damn phone.

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Two low-power cores with SMT and two high power cores with SMT really should be enough for a damn phone.

Still think the Exynos 7420/8890 and Snapdragon 808 and 820 are better than what you're describing.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization