Can I go slightly above my cases cpu cooler limit?

Axian
Go to solution Solved by DXMember,
7 minutes ago, Axian said:

lol sorry looks like that got fat fingerd, I meant 160mm tall for the case support not 600.

you can certainly try, but the CPU cooler size limit is there for a reason, it will hit the sidepanel and you'll either not be able to close it or it will bulge out, half a centimeter is not negligible

d14 isn't that bad as you've described it

Building a new pc and chose the phantek p400 case, going to be running a 6700k and probably over clocking it in the future but my case only supports "cpu coolers up to 160mm tall" and the noctua nh-d15 is 165mm tall, so i'm wondering if I can somehow fit the d15 in rather than being stuck with the d14, which performs worse and over the 4 years+ that I'll have this computer as I'm afraid it may not be able to keep up with the i7 over clock as time goes on and will show more signs of age vs it's newer, younger counterpart.

Edited by Axian
160mm not 600mm

ummm 600mm is like more than 3 times taller than 165mm

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

ummm 600mm is like more than 3 times taller than 165mm

lol sorry looks like that got fat fingerd, I meant 160mm tall for the case support not 600.

7 minutes ago, Axian said:

you can certainly try, but the CPU cooler size limit is there for a reason, it will hit the sidepanel and you'll either not be able to close it or it will bulge out, half a centimeter is not negligible

d14 isn't that bad as you've described it

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I wouldn't recommend it. Why not look at shorter cooler from the likes of Cryorig or other noctua coolers

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

d14 is that bad as you've described it

okay got it, definitely not gonna try then

There shouldn't be a massive difference between a NH-D14 vs. NH-D15, The temperatures only vary around 2-3 degrees celcius.  LL

If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

I wouldn't recommend it. Why not look at shorter cooler from the likes of Cryorig or other noctua coolers

more so just performance,noctua seems to be the top of the line cpu air coolers generally so I guesse I'll just stick with the nh-d14 

1 minute ago, ImmyCakes said:

There shouldn't be a massive difference between a NH-D14 vs. NH-D15, The temperatures only vary around 2-3 degrees celcius.  LL

hmm okay well shouldn't be too bad then, weird I wanna say the difference was more like 5-10 but if that's the case then awesome, I should be fine 

CPUs are getting less hot than before now. Haswell / Devil's Canyon had the whole bad thermal paste in the IHS problem, but we can expect future CPUs to actually run cooler as they become more efficient. So the D14'll cool your overclock just fine.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

45 minutes ago, Energycore said:

CPUs are getting less hot than before now. Haswell / Devil's Canyon had the whole bad thermal paste in the IHS problem, but we can expect future CPUs to actually run cooler as they become more efficient. So the D14'll cool your overclock just fine.

Devil's canyon and Haswell Refresh didn't have that problem, only Haswell. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Devil's canyon and Haswell Refresh didn't have that problem, only Haswell. 

My bad

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Heatsink doesn't really change during short times like your CPU lifetime. Fans can and will, same with CPU. I don't see much point bending sidepanel because you fear heatsink will perform less than other in 10 years. Both are more than enough for OCing i7. If you want more, go for AIOs.

As for clearance. Both cooler and case can vary. You might have problems even with D14.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv