Quietest fans?

GeorgeKellow
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,
Just now, GeorgeKellow said:

I'll buy the pure wings 2 140mm? 

Smart choice.  Seriously.

2 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I shall get these, thank you (Sorry for other thread) 

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

ffs, use 140mm.

^ ditto

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfp14sredux900

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I might as well get the silent wings? Or are these as quiet? 

You won't find better.... great buy.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

You won't find better.... great buy.

So get the pure wings over silent wings? 

Is the sound the same? 

So get the pure wings over silent wings? 

Is the sound the same? 

You won't be able to hear them... PWs are £8... can't beat that.

You won't be able to hear them... PWs are £8... can't beat that.

Have you used them?

8 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I might as well get the silent wings? Or are these as quiet? 

They're similar but not the same. SW2's are quieter and are among the best of the best. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Have you used them?

Listen:  I use three 140 Bitfenix Spectres... they are worse than the Pure Wings and I cannot hear them running at 100% from less than a meter away from my right ear.

The Pure Wings are half the cost of any comparable fan and will usually outperform (quietness and airflow) more expensive fans... like the Corsairs.

You have been trying to cool your PC for like months now.  Seriously... buy some freaking fans and if it is too loud, get a fan hub controller and slow them down.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

They're similar but not the same. SW2's are quieter and are among the best of the best. 

Why are you confusing the kid?

The PW are £8.  The SW are £18.  There is no way that spending more than twice the money will yield any benefit to this user.

The PW are £8.  The SW are £18.  There is no way that spending more than twice the money will yield any benefit to this user.

I'll buy the pure wings 2 140mm? 

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

SW2's are among the best of the best and PW2's aren't. They're quieter and perform better. It's pretty straightforward and I don't see how it's confusing. 

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

SW2's are among the best of the best and PW2's aren't. It's pretty straightforward and I don't see how it's confusing. 

Are they twice as good as the Pure Wings?

xD

6 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Are they twice as good as the Pure Wings?

xD

They're noticeably quieter. It's not like PW2's can ever get quieter than SW2's. 

Also, it'd be very difficult to find any good fan that's twice as good as another. with similar pricing. Following your logic, the OP might as well get cheap $2 fans since they would only need to be 1/6th as good as PW2's.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

They're noticeably quieter. It's not like PW2's can ever get quieter than SW2's. 

Not worth the extra money.  £8 is a good deal.  2 decibels... not sure how they measure... but really now.  16dB-18dB.

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Not worth the extra money.  £8 is a good deal.  2 decibels... not sure how they measure... but really now.  16dB-18dB.

It depends on how important noise is to the user. If the objective is to get the quietest fans available, the SW2 and NF-S12A would be contenders and not the PW2.

35 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It depends on how important noise is to the user. If the objective is to get the quietest fans available, the SW2 and NF-S12A would be contenders and not the PW2.

If the objective is to have the quietest case during general day to day use, then getting the "quietest" fans becomes secondary to having a way to control those fans. 

No matter the fan, it will make some noise.  Having the option to slow them down (or stop them entirely) is what someone that values a quiet PC will do.

I have a fan controller.  This allows me to shop for deals on decent fans.  Even if they are not the quietest fans, I can control the sound.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

If the objective is to have the quietest case during general day to day use, then getting the "quietest" fans becomes secondary to having a way to control those fans. 

No matter the fan, it will make some noise.  Having the option to slow them down (or stop them entirely) is what someone that values a quiet PC will do.

I have a fan controller.  This allows me to shop for deals on decent fans.  Even if they are not the quietest fans, I can control the sound.

Controlling fan speeds is a given if the objective is low noise.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Controlling fan speeds is a given if the objective is low noise.

xDthat is the point of having the quietest fans, is it not?

My case fans run at 30%, 99% of the time.

Just now, stconquest said:

xDthat is the point of having the quietest fans, is it not?

My case fans run at 30%, 99% of the time.

Fans have a lower limit to their noise and fan speeds. 

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Fans have a lower limit to their noise and fan speeds. 

I am not saying:  buy crappy fans and solely depend on fan control.

I am saying the value of shopping for deals on decent fans, along with the aid of a fan controller, out ways the premium you pay for 5%-10% overall performance that the "best" fans offer.

I agree with you.  Better fans are better.  I don't agree with you, that this user should spend more than twice the amount for very little improvement.