Whats quiter, af120 or af140

GeorgeKellow

what case?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

AF140. They provide the same amount of air at a lower rpm.

If you have HDD/SSD cages in front of the intakes, buy the SP140s.

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

2 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Buying new fans for my case! 

Or do I buy 2 sp140 for the front intakes? 

The AF120 and the AF140 are just different sizes of the same fan, so, from a physics standpoint, the AF140 will be louder. 

But both fans are quite loud (assuming corsair) I recommend looking at coolermaster or Thermaltake (for LEDS)

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Buying new fans for my case! 

Or do I buy 2 sp140 for the front intakes? 

Get other fans, preferably from Noctua, be quiet! or CRYORIG. I know from personal experience that Corsair fans are louder than others, even the "quiet" ones.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Phanteks enthoo pro m 

i'd get NF-F12 or something, the dust filters seems somewhat restrictive tbh

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Regardless of the manufacturer, the surface area of a 140mm fan is larger, so you can run it at a lower rpm and still get the same performance as a 120mm fan. RPM and fan-blade design are what primary effect the noise level. Get some nice Noctua (LTT edition if you wanna ;) ) 140mm fans if you want a true silent fan configuration.

1 minute ago, positivePXL said:

Regardless of the manufacturer, the surface area of a 140mm fan is larger, so you can run it at a lower rpm and still get the same performance as a 120mm fan. RPM and fan-blade design are what primary effect the noise level. Get some nice Noctua (LTT edition if you wanna ;) ) 140mm fans.

I've got a ltt fan xD 

6 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

The AF120 and the AF140 are just different sizes of the same fan, so, from a physics standpoint, the AF140 will be louder. 

But both fans are quite loud (assuming corsair) I recommend looking at coolermaster or Thermaltake (for LEDS)

Are the corsair af120/140 loud? 

I want a dead silent pc 

I want a dead silent pc 

Little bit, go for the Noctua's.

1 minute ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I want a dead silent pc 

pretty loud compared to a noctua

Phanteks actually has a quiter fan than noctua

The PH-F140 Series

12 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

And from another physics standpoint, the 140mm is able to move more air at a lower RPM compared to the AF120 which means the motor is able to run slower resulting in less noise :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

14 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

you do understand that bigger fans can turn at slower RPMs?

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

And from another physics standpoint, the 140mm is able to move more air at a lower RPM compared to the AF120 which means the motor is able to run slower resulting in less noise :D 

But the movement of air creates noise, and there is also more resonating matter, and if the fan is not installed properly, that can be further increased with a slight rattle. 

I can go deeper, i have all of XKCD at my disposal. 

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

I have an AF140 as my rear exhaust and it sucks. I can't even feel it move any air unless i set it to 100%.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Just now, Stardar1 said:

But the movement of air creates noise, and there is also more resonating matter, and if the fan is not installed properly, that can be further increased with a slight rattle. 

1 minute ago, Stardar1 said:

There's a difference between air whooshing and a motor buzzing...which one sounds nicer? air whooshing or the fan motor creating all the noise? 

There's a difference between air whooshing and a motor buzzing...which one sounds nicer? air whooshing or the fan motor creating all the noise? 

this is funnier than you realize, because This is my imgur account. 

WOOSH

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, Stardar1 said:

this is funnier than you realize, because This is my imgur account. 

WOOSH

Nice...but the point remains valid, the sound of movement of air is nicer than listening to the sound of a fan motor at full pelt...(and I know sound travels through the air by vibrating the particles...)

Nice...but the point remains valid, the sound of movement of air is nicer than listening to the sound of a fan motor at full pelt...(and I know sound travels through the air by vibrating the particles...)

I recommend neither fan either way. 

Solitaire. 

20 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

I recommend neither fan either way. 

Same lel 

49 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

43 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I want a dead silent pc 

The ringed QE corsair fans are quiet. The rest are average to mediocre at best. 

32 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Wooshing sounds better also most of the 'woosh' people hear is from turbulence with obstacles like dust filters and not just the air moving. 

What most people think is the air moving being loud is usually the motor as well. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The ringed QE corsair fans are quiet. The rest are average to mediocre at best. 

Wooshing sounds better also most of the 'woosh' people hear is from turbulence with obstacles like dust filters and not just the air moving. 

What most people think is the air moving being loud is usually the motor as well. 

Woosh

That is my imgur account xD

Solitaire.