3 pin fan control with speed fan?

GeorgeKellow

if your motherboard supports it yeah

but speedfan doesnt always work properly on all motherboards

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

if your motherboard supports it yeah

but speedfan doesnt always work properly on all motherboards

I've got an MSI Gaming 5 motherboard

3 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I've got an MSI Gaming 5 motherboard

apparently you can voltage control them

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=255368.0

check if MSI has some software for this, or maybe its in the bios

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, GeorgeKellow said:

Its got command centre which I can control, but i can only go as low as 50% 

well yeah

thats normal

if you go below ~40% on a 3 pin fan it will stop

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

well yeah

thats normal

if you go below ~40% on a 3 pin fan it will stop

Depends on the fan. Noctua's can go as low as 17%

1 hour ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Its got command centre which I can control, but i can only go as low as 50% 

SpeedFan should be able to go lower. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Depends on the fan. Noctua's can go as low as 17%

on a non-PWM fan??

i highly doubt that

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

on a non-PWM fan??

i highly doubt that

I agree. Some have start speed at 30-35% but not really lower than that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

on a non-PWM fan??

i highly doubt that

Yes, non pwm. Pwm Noctua's can go down to 7%.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, non pwm. Pwm Noctua's can go down to 7%.

I didn't believe you, so I took my NF-P14 and plugged it into 4.5v and no, it does not turn. It needs about 5v to start, which is about the 40% duty that I claimed earlier.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

I didn't believe you, so I took my NF-P14 and plugged it into 4.5v and no, it does not turn. It needs about 5v to start, which is about the 40% duty that I claimed earlier.

What fan header are you running it from? 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fan header are you running it from? 

I used a 4.5v power supply, not a PC fan header, to make sure the fan could get all the current it needs for startup

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I used a 4.5v power supply, not a PC fan header, to make sure the fan could get all the current it needs for startup

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but NF-P14's have always started up for me past 17% when running off of a motherboard fan header. Try doing that with SpeedFan or through the motherboard settings. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but NF-P14's have always started up for me past 17% when running off of a motherboard fan header. Try doing that with SpeedFan or through the motherboard settings. 

You sure you're not using PWM?

Cause I have a P14 PWM and it certainly does work down to about 10 or 20% when on PWM mode (my motherboard can switch between DC and PWM too)

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You sure you're not using PWM?

Cause I have a P14 PWM and it certainly does work down to about 10 or 20% when on PWM mode (my motherboard can switch between DC and PWM too)

Yes, I'm sure. I've had several pwm and non pwm NF-P14's and was annoyed that I couldn't run all of my fans at 7% until I moved to all pwm Noctuas. 

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, I'm sure. I've had several pwm and non pwm NF-P14's and was annoyed that I couldn't run all of my fans at 7% until I moved to all pwm Noctuas. 

huh weird

idk then

Spoiler