are case fans necessary?

No

i want to minimize my pc noise as much as i can...

i keep my pc under my desk with the side panel off

amd gpu and cpu

any risks?

no case fans = heat soak = toaster

and your gpu and cpu fan will probably spin super fast due to the heat

which makes it even louder

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

There's no harm done by not getting any case fans and seeing how your temperatures are after a few days of usage. It will give you an estimate of how well your system can perform over a period of real-world use. Depending on your workload and ambient temperatures, you may or may not need them.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yea but the result will change if the side panels are open

but its generally a bad idea anyway

just get a ton of good fans and run them at low rpm :D

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

But won't you be able to hear the CPU and GPU fans more easily if you have the side panel off?

It comes down to what temps you're willing to tolerate as well as your workload. If you aren't doing intensive stuff then do whatever you want. Just monitor your temps.

2 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

But won't you be able to hear the CPU and GPU fans more easily if you have the side panel off?

It comes down to what temps you're willing to tolerate as well as your workload. If you aren't doing intensive stuff then do whatever you want. Just monitor your temps.

well when its on the fans blow harder because its hotter

21 minutes ago, No said:

i want to minimize my pc noise as much as i can...

i keep my pc under my desk with the side panel off

amd gpu and cpu

any risks?

using quiet (air flow optimised) case fans will give you a quieter system than no case fans. (cos cpu and GPU get a cooler supply of air, therefore spin at a lower RPM and make less noise.)

If you want low - no noise, then you should invest in some high quality fans. Corsair are good quality, and BeQuiet ones run fairly quiet.

CPU: Core i7 7700K | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 | MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-AR | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance LPX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | SSD: Kingston 128GB SSD & Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | Case: CoolerMaster Mastercase Pro 5