Apple’s iBooks Store and iTunes Movies shut down by Chinese government

Boobies Sprinkle

Source: http://www.itworld.com/article/3060282/apple-s-ibooks-store-and-itunes-movies-shut-down-by-chinese-government.html

20150917-apple-store-logo-back-100615218

A Chinese regulator is said to have ordered Apple to shut down its iBooks Store and iTunes Movies only six months after the services were launched in the country.

The action against Apple in a country, which it rates as its second largest market by revenue after the U.S., came from the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television, reported The New York Times, quoting two persons who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

U.S. tech companies have been under pressure to comply with Chinese Internet regulations and censorship, with some Internet services like Facebook and Twitter blocked in the country.

But Apple has had more success in negotiating this market, which was reflected in its launch in February of its Apple Pay service in tandem with bank card network China UnionPay, despite competition from local players like Alipay.

The current incident will not have any immediate impact on Apple's device sales because both iBooks Store and iTunes Movies were launched only a few months back, and Chinese consumers have many alternative platforms they can turn to, said Tay Xiaohan, senior market analyst at IDC China.

The shut down of the services could, however, affect the relationship between Apple and the Chinese government, Tay said. There could also be a larger impact in the long term if more Apple services are blocked, such as Apple Pay, which play a crucial part in locking Apple users into its ecosystem, the analyst added.

The two Apple services were shut down last week, but an Apple spokeswoman told NYT in a statement that the the company hopes "to make books and movies available again to our customers in China as soon as possible.” 

and just when apple thought they can one up google in the chinese market

So is it just Apple not sensoring movies and books properly that got them shut down or something else?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

12 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

So is it just Apple not sensoring movies and books properly that got them shut down or something else?

Probably had books and movies listed that were not "approved" by the Chinese government

WHAT A WORLD

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

9 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Probably had books and movies listed that were not "approved" by the Chinese government

WHAT A WORLD

Figures :P

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)