Elon Musk says we have to rethink the concept of public transport, and he has a plan, Elon Musk at "Future transport solutions" conference in Oslo, Norway)

I hope that someone else haven't posted this, I could at least not find it.

On Tuesday(21.04.2016) Elon musk was on an Europe visit, or Norway visit to be more correct.

He were at the "Future transport solutions" conference in Oslo, Norway.

He talks a lot about how Norway is a great place when it comes to renewable energy like hydroelectricity. And the potential of it in the future (like what Norway should focus on)

But he teased one of his future plans when it comes to public transport in cities.

"We have an idea for something witch is not exactly a bus, but would solve the density problem for inner city situations, I think we actually re think the concept of public transport."

-Elon Musk

"I think there is a new type of car, or vehicle that I think would be really great for that, and actually take people to their final destination, not just to the bus stop."

-Elon Musk

And for me and some others, the pieces fall together with one more sentence:

"Autonomous Vehicles is the key"

-Elon Musk

What me and many others think it is is a system where you open an app and put in where you want to go, and some sort of autonomous vehicle comes and pick you up, and then drives you to the place where you want to go.

It isn't a completely new idea, like others, like myself have had idea in some form before, but now we know that Elon Musk is working on it.

If you want more info:

Video from the transport conference, he talks about his idea of public transport from 19:37

Links:

English:

http://techcrunch.com/2016/04/21/elon-musk-has-an-idea-for-autonomous-transit-vehicles-but-hes-being-coy-about-it/

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/21/elon-musk-wants-to-solve-traffic-congestion-with-self-driving-buses.html

Norwegian:

http://www.tu.no/artikler/elon-musk-norge-er-i-den-beste-posisjonen-til-a-oke-produksjonen-av-fornybar-energi/346601

http://e24.no/digital/elon-musk/elon-musk-norge-har-en-fantastisk-fordel/23663856

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Interesting, if Elon is working on it it should be good. But im still waiting on the hyperloop so.....

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I think that this will replace the personal car in the far future. Why waste so much space on parking lots to store cars that aren't currently being used when everyone can just summon an autonomous car and dismiss it once they are done with it.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I'm not sure everyone can travel by autonomous car in big cities, you need the density of buses, pref double decker, and trains, pref double decker. In densely populated cities there isn't room for everyone to ride by car without causing congestion.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

I'm not sure everyone can travel by autonomous car in big cities, you need the density of buses, pref double decker, and trains, pref double decker. In densely populated cities there isn't room for everyone to ride by car without causing congestion.

I still think that vans, SUVs, etc. would be enough. Musk and Uber should team up. Musk can get the electric (or not) vehicles with self driving. Uber already is in the transportation business and can setup routes where multiple people can get picked up or dropped off in one trip. The biggest problem in making this happen is the law...

39 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

he did first say car, but then said vehicle, so I am guessing what he is thinking of isn't a car in the way we think of them.

maybe some sort of minibus or something.

and 100 autonomous cars will make less congestion than 100 cars with people driving, because they can talk together if they are made that way.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

i really like elon musk , but i do fear the attention he's gathering for a vision on how the future should look, hope they(big corps) don't literally assassinate him subtly in some form/way just to keep their own business running, these are world class power houses he's going after if he starts to show success in a grand scale & people starts to revert to his methods ditching the old fossil fuel shit.

Details separate people.