Doom is DOOMED!

HmmR

WARNING THIS IS MY OPINION AFTER PLAYING THE BETA

Honest thoughts about the DOOM Multiplayer Beta. The resurgence of the Arena Shooter Genre begins with a failed mashup of Halo and Call of Duty packaged in DOOM's iconic hellscape. A progression system, space marines, slow dumbed down movement, and simple weapons without any oomph make for a solid entertaining 20 minutes or so before even the most simple of gamers will turn it off and go back to better titles, such as the much less expensive and far more nuanced Quake Live.

basically in simple English the game is bad and a easy cash grab (hopefully the single player saves the iconic franchise)

I don't know why its still being labeled as an arena shooter. Sure as hell doesnt feel like one.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

4 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

I don't know why its still being labeled as an arena shooter. Sure as hell doesnt feel like one.

I played for 20 minutes; the optimization was so terrible that I quit. The game also feels like shit while playing it.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

9 minutes ago, HmmR said:

Honest thoughts about the DOOM Multiplayer Beta. The resurgence of the Arena Shooter Genre begins with a failed mashup of Halo and Call of Duty packaged in DOOM's iconic hellscape. A progression system, space marines, slow dumbed down movement, and simple weapons without any oomph make for a solid entertaining 20 minutes or so before even the most simple of gamers will turn it off and go back to better titles, such as the much less expensive and far more nuanced Quake Live.

basically in simple English the game is bad and a easy cash grab (hopefully the single player saves the iconic franchise)

Totalbiscuit mentioned in his review (where he brought up the same points that you did about it feeling very like halo) that the multiplayer is not done by id. The developer who is worked on the recent COD multiplayers as well as a lot of console multiplayer. I believe this was to take some of the learning curve off of the arena shooter genre. This is not the way to do it.

WTF? Don't they know any more how to do real arena shootter? With out the Call of Duty effect... I only wanted that be fast phased shootter with new graphics. Is that too much to ask?

2 minutes ago, Rifian1 said:

WTF? Don't they know any more how to do real arena shootter? With out the Call of Duty effect... I only wanted that be fast phased shootter with new graphics. Is that too much to ask?

Audience too low. Barrier of entry for new players too high.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, Scruffy90 said:

Audience too low. Barrier of entry for new players too high.

that's shame. Because i am sick of these all cod like fps games. Reason why i have to move other genre's now day's. 

1 minute ago, Rifian1 said:

that's shame. Because i am sick of these all cod like fps games. Reason why i have to move other genre's now day's. 

I was trying to find a group to play Arena FPS' before. Seems like not a lot of people play anymore.

4 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

I was trying to find a group to play Arena FPS' before. Seems like not a lot of people play anymore.

Yeah and maybe it's that, because these consoles. They have to them suitable for pad. So something like UT3 doesn't suit very good on controller. 

8 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

While the new Doom doesn't look like my cup of tea either, I doubt that it would be financially successful if it would be an "just" an oldschool arena shooter. The publisher wants to pander to the CoD/BF/CS/Whatevermodernshootermakesmoney-crowd and ofcourse they borrow quite a lot of ideas (if not all) from those "veteran" franchises. If it would be like UT2k4 etc. people would probably complain about the lack of leveling/customization and all that jazz that is popular in online shooters. In my opinion Doom/Quake are relics from the past that only suffer due to money making schemes and compromises. It'll sell a lot of copies just because of the name alone, but I doubt that it'll even come close to please the old and new fans alike. But hey, if it turns out to be a great FPS I am ready to eat my own words on it.

The problem is that the complaints are coming from the new and old demographic. No one it seems, likes the multiplayer. Console folks are complaining that its too fast, PC players complaining that its too slow, etc. I feel like if it didnt have the name Doom tied to it, that it may not have gotten attention like it has recently. Also it feels like the most generic sci-fi FPS i've played in a long time. It feels too much like other games and has no identity. While not technically bad, its amazingly boring.

When i see the TB video about it. I was like man, i have played that like two years ago. Those map's are like straight from CoD: AW or some where else. And i don't like load out's on my fps games. Also it's so stupid that, you can't pick random weapon from the ground like. Used to do twenty freaking years earlier! Also didn't like those huge weapon models. They looked so stupid in my eye. I am very unhappy how it turned to be. Even that it is in Beta.

I've no idea why people are comparing it with COD, it certainly didn't feel like it (but then again every MP game is being compared with COD, seems like people are thinking COD invented it), and just a reminder, Doom was released 10 years before COD. Even Doom 3 that had MP (sort of) came out before COD 2 did.

I suppose you haven't played previous Doom games since it has nothing to do with arena shooters, and if you wanna mention resurgence of that genre, a free Unreal Tournament has been in works for some time and that is what an arena shooter is. (Ok, MP can pass as a form of an arena shooter, but it still has a way to go).

People are saying it's bad and all but they are missing the point, it's not supposed to be primarily a MP game, it's a SP game first, everything else comes as a bonus. Either people think that this is supposed to be only a MP game for some reason or they don't get the purpose of this beta. It needs more optimization sure, I ran it perfectly fine but people with better systems had a lot of problems so there is no arguing about that. 

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

12 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

People are saying it's bad and all but they are missing the point, it's not supposed to be primarily a MP game, it's a SP game first, everything else comes as a bonus.

Is that what id/Bethesda have marketed Doom as, or is that your own belief? They seem to be pushing the multiplayer just as hard or harder than the single player mode from what I've seen. Honestly I don't think I've heard a word about the single player since the announcement trailer.

If you feel we should judge it on the single player mode instead, then we absolutely have to wait until reviews are out. There is very little to go on, and what little there is looks questionable.

3 hours ago, typographie said:

Is that what id/Bethesda have marketed Doom as, or is that your own belief? They seem to be pushing the multiplayer just as hard or harder than the single player mode from what I've seen. Honestly I don't think I've heard a word about the single player since the announcement trailer.

For MP we only got 1 trailer if I'm not wrong, and beta ofc, while we got a campaign trailer 2 months and the cinematic one 2 weeks ago for SP, and all other trailers/promo for the game I've seen had only SP content, as far as I can remember. But in the end that's from my experience, it's my own belief based on what Doom always was, and that is a SP game.

I mean I'm sure they want MP to be a success, but I don't think they are mostly focusing on that.

If you feel we should judge it on the single player mode instead, then we absolutely have to wait until reviews are out. There is very little to go on, and what little there is looks questionable.

My thoughts exactly, even if the game will be bad, we should wait and see. From what I've experienced it runs great, but we have no idea how good or bad SP is, and/or other MP modes.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, HmmR said:

on xbox it was great

I saw some Beta game play, I thought it would be a fun and interesting game but it doesn't seem like it has much story. I suppose I shouldn't expect that from an FPS style of game.

Fallout 4 appears to be better at doing that, but FO4 seems like it'd be best played at a desk where you're closer to the screen...

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Maybe it will have a good singleplayer campaign (like Wolfenstein new order).

Lets judge a Game by its Beta. Thats realy a good Idea.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

4 hours ago, Praesi said:

Judging it based on technical issues and [to a point] optimization wouldn't make a lot of sense. The intro screens stuttered so badly on Nvidia cards that id included an onscreen warning that it was going to happen. I don't see anyone complaining about that, and rightfully so. Nor do I see anyone complaining about the lack of graphics options, as there was a whole "Advanced" section of the menu visible but still locked away.

However, judging it based on its obviously intended design direction is fair at this stage. Especially considering this "beta" occurred less than a month from the release date, as they generally do these days. We will see tweaks and polish at this point, not the redesigns of core gameplay mechanics that would actually address most of the common complaints.

Bethesda was too busy and put their best man power into Wasteland Workshop DLC :3 

side: I love Wasteland Workshop

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

On 4/21/2016 at 3:02 PM, Praesi said:

the game is a month away and all its core mechanics are in place 

"so,we can assume its almost the finished product just few improvements and optimization is left" 

by what the beta has shown us this game is really boring 

I enjoyed it but Quake is def better

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core 12 Threads Motherboard TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING RAM 32GB Dual-Channel DDR4 GPU 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Case be quiet! White OS Linux Mint Cinnamon

The only thing I find wrong with it is the loadouts, people move too slow, and jumping sucks.

Other than that, it looks great.

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

Why i  am so confused for the Doom?! I really like it all way's when i see the trailer on tv. But then the multiplayer is confused and something that i don't like it. Never has so confused on release. :o

Buy it for SP, MP is for more casual fun, but not needed, rock solid singleplayer though.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz