Seasonic X-1050 (SS-1050XM) - 1050W

Harshil

Hey guys,

How's the Seasonic X-1050 (SS-1050XM) - 1050W psu. I'm planning a build and specs are-

Intel 4930k.

Rampage IV Extreme.

16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz.

Asus GTX 770 SLI (X2).

NZXT Phantom 820.

Samsung 120gb ssd.

WD Black 1TB.

Corsair H100i.

"Spells do exist. We are all just out of Mana."

ho

More than enough, you could even get a lower wattage PSU.

Will it have any problem regarding the single rail?

ho

Will it have any problem regarding the single rail?

What problem? the single rail safety thing? is that what you're referring to?

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

What problem? the single rail safety thing? is that what you're referring to?

yeah. I heard once that it's not quite stable.

You don't need to worry about single-rail vs multi-rail.

The Seasonic X 1050XM is a high quality unit that more than capable of powering your system. Also, the unit is actually a multi-rail unit with a high OCP trip point. It's a misadvertised unit to follow the notion that many feel that single-rail is the way to go. This was first found out by Jonnyguru when they tested the XFX ProSeries 1250w model where they found four +12v OCP points set at 30/30/45/45A, which the unit is based on the Seasonic X 1250XM - the same platform as the unit you are looking at.

Are you limited to just that PSU? If not, can you provide us with a budget (in your currency if you live outside of the US) and links to stores you are able to buy from?

You don't need to worry about single-rail vs multi-rail.

The Seasonic X 1050XM is a high quality unit that more than capable of powering your system. Also, the unit is actually a multi-rail unit with a high OCP trip point. It's a misadvertised unit to follow the notion that many feel that single-rail is the way to go. This was first found out by Jonnyguru when they tested the XFX ProSeries 1250w model where they found four +12v OCP points set at 30/30/45/45A, which the unit is based on the Seasonic X 1250XM - the same platform as the unit you are looking at.

Are you limited to just that PSU? If not, can you provide us with a budget (in your currency if you live outside of the US) and links to stores you are able to buy from?

Thanx for the explanation, I didn't know that it is a multi-rail psu, they say it's quad rail. What is the main difference b/w single rail and multi-rail?

Thanx for the explanation, I didn't know that it is a multi-rail psu, they say it's quad rail. What is the main difference b/w single rail and multi-rail?

Actually it's quite cheap an awesome deal right now.

Noticing how I kind of made a long post regarding it, here's a short version:

- Think of multirails as a circuit box. If you overload one breaker (OCP of a 12v rail), it will trip and stop supplying power.

- Certain system configuration might have problems with multirails, as the OCP may be set too low that it would shut the PSU off even though the PSU is capable of supplying more; however, modern day PSUs set it up in a way that in most cases, you shouldn't have this problem.

- The benefit to multirails is that it adds an extra layer of protection in case there's a short that isn't detected by the SCP of the PSU.

____

Yeah, dual/triple/quad/etc. rails are multi-rails. Think of multi-rail as something like the circuit box inside your house. A few group of cables are being monitor by multiple of breakers. When you draw too much power on one group of wires, the breaker will trip and stop supplying power to it. In the PSU case, a group of wires is monitor by multiple of Over Current Protection (OCP) trip points, and when you exceed the limit in power draw, the entire PSU will stop supplying power and shut off.

Now some people would think that as a bad thing which it could be depending on how you look at it. Many people are worry that if they are installing many taxing components, they would overload one of the rails and cause the PSU to shut off despite having enough power (e.g. a 500w system shutting off a 1000w unit). During early implementation, this were true, as they poorly configure the cables set for each of the rails, where they put the least demanding components one rail and the more demanding components such as your CPU and GPU on another.

Nowadays, the implementation of the rails are done more correctly, where the more demanding components would be put on separated 12v rails. You would be hard-press to overload these rails, unless you are some kind of bencher who overclock / overvolt your system under LN2 for example. Generally, it set up in a way that you can plug it in without putting much thought into it and there's a good chance that you will not run into problem. Even if you do, you could easily look it up on your PSU manual (sometimes it even marked on the PSU itself), and just switch the cables on the modular interface around.

Now the benefit of multi-rail is safety. It adds an extra layer of protection in case something went wrong and a particular short is not detected by the Short Circuit Protection (SCP) of the PSU. If something fails inside your case and shorted out, the OCP of the multi-rail would shut the unit off quicker to prevent any major damage, while a single rail would have the protection so high (the larger the PSU, the higher the protection is set), it can momentarily turn into an arc welder inside of your PC and continued to supply power to the components until the OPP trip out or something catches on fire.

Of course, this issue doesn't happen often; otherwise, there wouldn't still be many high-capacity single rail unit up to 1300w (in fact, there's a 2000w unit that is releasing that is a single rail unit, which is crazy). But even so, I see it as an added value.

This is an excellent psu. Currently I'm using it inside my comp ^^. Way better than the previous Antec 900watt psu my friend got for me at the beginning of my rig, as it died out soon afterwards !